Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273568 times)

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #300 on: May 30, 2013, 03:40:31 pm
I wish I was off work yesterday Bare I could have joined you, after all you were in my back yard !!
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #301 on: May 30, 2013, 05:39:31 pm
I was thinking about you as I went up the hill.
My next three Fridays are shot too! That steam cleaning job I got out of a couple of weeks ago rears its ugly head again tomorrow. But after Father's Day things should open up again!
I am taking a putt down to the Huntington Beach car show Sunday. They get some really nice bikes in there. Usually a good assortment of old Scramblers.
Father's day, might take the ride down to San Pedro for the annual Father's Day party at Century Cycles.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #302 on: May 30, 2013, 06:49:34 pm
Maybe I will join you on Sunday, I'll give you a call
Steve
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #303 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:26 am
The Three Bulleteers got together for a bit of a reunion after about 6 months of not riding. Unfortunately, we're out of Bullets. Jack got a Triumph Speed Triple after his RE was stolen, Steve (bike snob) got a Triumph Bonneville t100 after his RE wasn't adequate to take his girl friend out on rides, and I got the MotoGuzzi V7R after my crash. I've had enough Triumphs. time to move on. We got together at out normal meeting spot Saturday morning, that was after our previous meeting spot that Steve was familiar with was unreachable because of some police activity barricading of the neighborhood! At any rate, we gassed up and after a group hug, headed the Crest  or a quick run of Jack's Loop. I had to get home rather early for a dinner party my wife and I going to. It was getting hot quick down below and even still pretty warm in Wrightwood. There were warning signs around telling us about construction work on the road so beware of traffic holdups. Since we were, after all, the three Bulleteers, we weren't going to let anything like that ruin our day.
We went down N4 as it's a nice twisty road and since Jack and I hadn't been there yet on our new steeds, it would be a nice route to get rid of our wanker stripes. we had a good run down the hill, then it was across the high desert to the Palmdale area and back up the Mountain on Mt Emma Road.
It was getting pretty warm in the desert so going back up was a welcoming trip! We have a little rest stop where we run into Angeles Forest road that used to be adorned by a few thongs hanging in the trees! Since the last time I was up the items have apparently been retrieved!
We relieved and refilled ourselves and headed on over to Newcomb's Ranch via the Forest, Upper Big Tujunga, and Angeles Crest. There was a pretty good crowd at Newcomb's, and I found that the Guzzi bring almost as much attention as the REs! One guy was telling me about the group of Enfields that were up there a lot last year. Yeah, that were we! Steve and Jack had lunch consisting of gigantic burritos. They do have have some great pulled pork sliders there, but I passed, as hard as it was, as I had an early dinner coming. WE ahd a great ride heading back and got to scrape off more rubber, but when we got to Wightwood, it was getting HOT! We stopped for gas for Steve at the 138 just before we got on the I15.  Jack and I passed at that point. It was getting real hot, like 97o.
We beat it on down the hill and separating to go on our separate way. We never saw any road construction on the mountain, but I ran into a bunch of it that had the 15 down to two lanes for about 10 miles. Splitting lanes in 100 degree weather between essentially parked cars really SUX. Riding between hot cars really heats things up! Bad enough just being out in 100o weather, but cheated death again and got home, although my wife said I looked like I as going to pass out when I came it! I was really OK, but hot weather does me in.
Anyway I went to a car show this morning and then gassed up after 286 miles of riding, and got 56 mph.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:34:20 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #304 on: June 03, 2013, 06:52:49 pm
It was sure great riding with you and Jack again, what a great day it was, and the group hug......Priceless.
Steve.
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #305 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:16 pm
jack and I visited north San Diego county doing the Deluz, Rice Canyon, Palomar, Mesa Grande and Highland Road loop, then just freewayed it back home. I did 288 miles, He 286.
I did get the opportunity to ride his Street Triple. Amazing bike. It fits me well, everything was in the right spot, the handling impeccable, very fast. Nice bike! Far faster on all counts than my Goose.
But we have come to the conclusion that our bikes are no challenge to ride! They just go and don't bother you with anything. the Goose does get a lot of bystander attention, but that's as close as it gets to the Enfield. These bikes just don't really offer any challenges!  You have to challenge yourself as too how fast you want to go, so it's just up to you. the Enfield offered a lot more of it's own challenges and repaid you with the gratification of handling all it threw at you. Steep hills offered you a variety of options, when to shift down, how much to tuck to try to keep your speed up, a little drafting with your partner, the list goes on. Just the simple stuff on anything else, an an Enfield just adds to the enjoyment of the ride. When you get done it's total gratification and a lot more fun. Just keep the grins coming!
We did have fun on the new ones, but the Enfields are #1 in our minds. They just really do offer more smiles per mile than anything else. You guys who have them make us somewhat envious!
We also saw several cops on our route that got our attention on the new bikes that we would never have bothered looking at on the Enfield!
I dont' know that we would ever go back to the REs, because we have been there and done that, but it certainly evokes memories that will never be forgotten. some of my best motorcycling adventures and EPIC rides are due strictly to Enfields. They Rule! You guys don't know how lucky you are!
Forgot my camera yesterday! Sorry!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #306 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:08 pm
Barenekd,  I appreciate  reading your ride posts.  I'm originally from Glendale in the SF valley ( now in Houston) and have ridden many of the roads you ride.  I love the Crest ride and wish I could get out there again to ride it.  Wife and I were out to the coast  last Dec/Jan.  We trucked our crusier out there and parked the truck in Canyon Country at a cousins house.  Then rode from Santa Monica to San Francisco on Highway 1, roundtrip.  9 days and 1100 miles.  Overnights in Buellton, San Simeon, Monterrey, and SF. Then on the way back, SF, San Simeon, and Ojai.  Rode across from Santa Maria along 166 to Cayuma and then 33 down to Ojai and over to Santa Clarita to Canyon Country.  Loved it.  Weather was cool in the 50's, clear, dry and sunny the entire trip.  Rock slide dealyed our ride through Big Sur for 4 hours. Made some friends while waiting for the road to clear.  Lunch at Lucia was perfect stop. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:59:25 pm by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #307 on: June 06, 2013, 05:32:55 pm
Soounds like a great ride! I usually don't get that far outta town.I think probably the farthest I've been was Santa Maria. We did a Norton Club Iron Butt ride that went out that far. Up though Ojai on the 33 to the 166 to Santa Maria, then back down through Buellton and Solvang and Lake Cachuma and by Ojai and Ventura, then down through Mulholland and such. I did 530 miles that day on my GB500! It was a great ride!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #308 on: June 06, 2013, 07:33:02 pm
We ride a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800c) cruiser.  In the last 3 years, we've been to Colorado Rockies, Sedona AZ, Big Bend TX, Key West Fl, and Colonial Mexico in the Guanajuato and San Miguel De Allende region.  We carry the bike in our truck bed and off load and ride, ride, ride...   
I bought the vintage RE to putter around town for Bike Nights, Vintage Rallys and short group rides with my buddies. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #309 on: June 06, 2013, 11:29:12 pm
Cannot believe you guys are parading around out there on non-Enfields!  The Guzzi and the Bonnie make sense, but Jack's new ride choice is blowing my mind!  No disrespect at all, those Triumph Triples are maybe the best reviewed sport bikes out there and I've heard nothing but the highest praise from owners.  Congrats on going for it!  Tell Jack to try and keep it under a ton, and to remember that California law states that a motorcycle must be ridden with TWO wheels on the ground.  No easy task on that wheelie-machine.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that in fact the STREET Triple (naked Daytona), as opposed to the bigger Speed Trip?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #310 on: June 07, 2013, 10:31:13 pm
Yes It's the Street Triple 675. He actually got it for less than I paid for the Guzzi.
It's an extreme blast to ride, but I got rid of my last Triumph because of it being too big a blast to ride and the cops seemed to be unappreciative. I had two Triumphs triples that made 50,000 miles. I guess i really liked them both. Jack's could fall into the same category with me! I do have to fear that once Jack gets used to riding it, he will get bored with the other two Bulleteers!
But anyone looking for a naked bike in the 600-750 class, I would heartily recommend it!
Bare
Some Bonnies are still being made in England, I think,. at least, my '96 Scrambler was.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #311 on: June 09, 2013, 10:55:06 pm
Well, Jack couldn't keep it under the ton! I'm sure he tried...bwaa  haa!
He told me he did it on a steep road several miles long that we could barely maintain 55 on the REs. He said he was doing 110 all the way up and that was just easy cruising! the Goose will maintain considerably higher than 55 on that road, too although I doubt that it would be anywhere very near 110. It is nice to have a bike that passing cars isn't an adventure in itself!
Bare
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:00:15 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #312 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:47 pm
How does the V7 torque feel?  Do you find your self short-shifting a bit when you are putting the go on, or does it seem to pull through to redline pretty well?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #313 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:47 pm
It's a definite short shifter. It gets pretty buzzy at about 6 grand. The torque peak is in the 3200 RPM range so short shifting isn't a problem. It's got about the same horsepower as any good late '60s, early '70s twin. A Norton Commando will probably blow its doors off! It should hang with the BSAs and Triumphs of the day, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #314 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:20 pm
Looking forward to riding with Bare and Jack on our non Royal Enfields tomorrow.
Steve
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin