Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273572 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #285 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:50 pm
Since I got the Goose a week ago, I've put 500 miles on it, about half and half twisties and freeways. It handles both quite well. After I got back from the first ride I adjusted it to my body and that made riding it much nicer, plus getting used to riding it has improved the relationship immensely. I had to adjust the mirrors, actually pretty nice ones that don't vibrate and I can see all around behind once I hit the right spot. I was thinking about bar ends, but the bolts in the Napoleons I have are too big for what's in the bars. I had to adjust the shifter and brake pedals, throttle cable, and figure out how to work the optional gauges in the speedo, the trip meter and clock. The odo and outside temp are the standard faces.  I am really beginning to enjoy the bike. The handling is quite nice and I can keep up quite a good speed in my usual canyons. I could have gone a bit faster on some of the Super Sport bikes with fat tires, but this was does quite well for what it is equipped with. 
I'm still working on perfecting the rear suspension  and I am really getting close with it. I wish it had about 1 more inch of travel, that 4" is just a tad short. But generally, it's pretty nice. I went down to the shop and got some valve cover gaskets and oil filters.
I've got a 600 mile check coming up next week. the guys at the shop are OK with me doing my  own maintenance, they just said to keep the receipts fro the oils and other essentials that I've used and keep it logged in the Owners manual. As an A&P, that's just a given. I've got to pick up some Mobil 1 V-Twin and gear oil today. Back to adjusting valves and changing 3 carriers of oil! Heading back to the old days! But the service intervals after that are 6200 miles. I can handle that.
I got 51mpg after 200 miles on the last tank of gas. It's getting better!
Bare
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:58:14 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #286 on: May 24, 2013, 07:30:56 pm
I like that K, jartist.  Always liked the way they looked.  I want something for longer trips.

Bare, I kind of can't believe you went for the Guzzi!  Congrats.  Glad to hear you are back where you belong.  I sat on the standard V7 a few years back and was pretty impressed with it how it felt and looked.  With the power on, I think that bike has one of the nicest dashes on two wheels.  Really nice looking faces.  I've thought long about a street scrambler type set up on the V7 - cutting off some of the bulky fenders, lights, etc.  I think it'd be a great city-commuter.  Keep us updated on it, please.

You have to stick around.  You have to much info to disappear - We don't have quite as many mech-savvy individuals that we've had in the past here.  We can't afford to lose your brain.  Besides, you can't start hanging around the V-twin weirdos exclusively or you'll start drinking the kool-aid  ;)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #287 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:49 pm
Beins that I kinda like the Cafe Racer style, this one fit the bill. It's got all the stuff I had to put on the RE in the first place. I didn't want to do all that work again. It is a nice bike, although would have some doubts about the 'Racer' part! Horsepower isn't its forte, but its more than adequate.  I had to beat a Mustang and BMW out of the hole in a stoplight GP and it handled them well enough! It's got enough out of the hole, so they back off expecting some Superbike to blow them away. Works for me! On the other hand, 75 or 80 is easily maintained on the freeway.
Bare
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:02:23 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #288 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:13 pm
jusy came in the mail ... new  decompresion and throttle cables for my 1956 matchless . gonna put em on after supper
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #289 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:43 pm
1956 matchless

8)

Bare, what's up with the throttle on the Racer?  Feels unresponsive? Touchy? What are you doing to adjust it?  Also wondering how the V7 compares to the Thruxton, or did you only have a modern Triumph Scrambler?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #290 on: May 25, 2013, 07:14:05 pm
The throttle cable just didn't have any play in it. If I put my hand on the throttle to rest it, it would start revving. I just had to had take out about an 1/8" in the adjuster. No biggie.
The Thruxton is a much bigger, heavier bike. It has more power and gets miserable mileage. The Scrambler has the same chassis as the Thruxton, but the older ones like I had had a lot less horsepower. The Scrambler has a better seat.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #291 on: May 25, 2013, 08:57:59 pm
Non Royal Enfield bike?

Heh!

I am storing my wife's uncle's Hyabusa for him. Took it out for a "warm it up, circulate the fluids, don't let it sit too long ride". Firstly, I've NEVER been on a sport bike before. And that bike is 10x more motorcycle than I will ever need. :)

Got on the highway. Was doing 70 mph at 4k rpm in 4th gear. Important to note, this bike redlines at 11k rpm, and still has two more gear. On a whim, I opened the throttle the slightest little bit, and was suddenly doing 95. In 4th. Wow.

Twitchy as hell trying to ride it on the street.

Didn't like it at all.

So that's my non-Enfield thing for today.

Be safe all.
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #292 on: May 26, 2013, 12:07:59 am
IMO, those crotch rockets are pure craziness.

I'm totally against the idea of some governmental agency banning them or putting a lid on max acceleration or horsepower but I do wonder about selling these to kids.

I've heard the average time between buying one and crashing it for riders under the age of 21 is 6 months.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #293 on: May 26, 2013, 03:32:17 am
Busas are stupid sick.  Close to 200hp in stock form and will do 185mph all day long and get there from 0 in about 15 seconds.  I've seen videos of turbo Busas  doing well over 230mph.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #294 on: May 26, 2013, 11:22:27 pm
IMO, those crotch rockets are pure craziness. I'm totally against the idea of some governmental agency banning them or putting a lid on max acceleration or horsepower but I do wonder about selling these to kids.

But they are so much fun!
They actually do have a top speed limit put on them, 186 mph. Is that slow enough? But there are people that know how to override the limits, then they will do 200! The Europeans came up with the limit idea about 15 years ago.
What America needs is what the rest of the world has.  Limits by engine size and horsepower, and experience for beginners, regardless of age. It keeps kids from buying Hayabusas, or even Royal Enfields in most places. The beginner stuff can be down to 150 ccs, or sometimes less. They have license plates that signify their experience level. You have to generally be about 21 with a few years experience of working yourself up through the engine  before you can be elevated to the Super bike category. These limits vary by country, but most of them have some way to keep the carnage down!
My grandson, senior in high school just bought a CBR600. I tired to talk hm into a CBR250, or even an Enfield, but he had to have the 600. Since he lives in New Hampster, I wasn't close enough. At least he has have some dirt bike experience,and rides his dad's motorscooter, but I don't really think he's ready for a 150mph bike yet!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #295 on: May 27, 2013, 02:04:04 am
I hate government or anybody telling me what to do as much as the next person but the earned cc rated license make a lot of sense to me.

I really think that's why motorcycles are less condemned by European mothers than by their American counterparts.

It would never work with the harley only crowd. They'd have to bring out the harley hummer again!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #296 on: May 27, 2013, 09:34:28 pm
There are plenty of newbies on Hogs that make some pretty classy introductions to riding. They never make it out of the parking lot! Lots of that stuff on Utube. Funny stuff!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #297 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:29 am
I agree with the cc license restrictions, it would save a lot of unnecessary accidents by inexperienced riders.  Reminds me of an incident the other day.  I was driving down Colfax on my way to work and this dip shit pulls up next to me at a stop light, wearing NOTHING but shorts, a t shirt with the sleeves cut off and tennis shoes.  NO helmet, NO gloves, NO EYE PROTECTION.  So this asshole is sitting at the light on his '05ish CBR1000R revving his motor, as I'm staring right at him for something bad to happen, he blips the throttle and dumps the clutch at the same, picks the front tire up 6" off the ground and STALLS IT!  I literally laughed out loud as I watched the bike come straight down and he almost dumps it on himself.  Effing idiots.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #298 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:51 am
Not to worry Scottie.....
     these effing idiots have a knack for culling themselves out...
                 -  Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #299 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:48 am
yesterday did a 100 milker up San Gabriel Canyon, east Fork and back down on GLendora Mountain. It was a beautiful day to be riding.
Today, I started doing my 600 mile check. I would've maybe gotten it done but the power was out at the house as the electric company was doing maintenance.
I had all my torque values on the computer and couldn't get to them so it took a lot longer than I thought. Gotta finish up with the oil changes tomorrow. I did get the head work finished though, valve clearances, plug gaps, and torque. And went down to get the oil.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer