Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273704 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #270 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:04 am
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #271 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:44 am
The metallic purple paint coupled with the orange and red penstriping decals looked bad. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #272 on: May 08, 2013, 02:35:05 am
The metallic purple paint coupled with the orange and red penstriping decals looked bad. :)

Come on Jim!  Is against the rules to talk about paint and not post any pics.  Shame on you!    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #273 on: May 08, 2013, 05:04:49 am
Well, although I would if I could, I can't.
I bought that CX500 from a friend and rode it for about 4 years.  Then a guy making half of what I was being paid came riding into work on a Honda Goldwing.  :(
I looked at my CX and said to myself, "What the hell am I riding this thing for?  Gordy has a brand new bike and I have this old Honda that I don't like.  I need to fix this problem."  ::)

Within 2 weeks I had my brand new metallic blue 1987 BMW K-75T.  :D
 During negotiating the price of the Bimmer, every time I suggested trading in the CX the dealer would recalculate the total and it always ended up costing more than the price without a trade in.  Apparently the dealer didn't like the Honda CX any more than I did.
I ended up selling the CX to a guy for $300 just to get rid of it.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #274 on: May 18, 2013, 09:09:13 pm
Well, Fellas,
I guess it's time to fess up.
After waiting 4 months to go riding again, I couldn't stand it any more. I've been kinda looking for a replacement for the dear departed RE. I looked at Kawasaki 300s anda couple of cheap 250s, then started looking at the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. Now that is a pretty good looking cafe racer. I took it out for a test ride and it worked quite nicely. Not overwhelmed with horsepower, bu more than adequate. And I didn't have to wait X more months. The credit union screwing around for a week to get me a 50% loan was long enough!
I finally got the Guzzi Thursday night, and went out for a 200 miler on Friday. Santiago Canyon, Live Oak, Antonio, Ortega, Clinton-Keith, Volcano, Carancho, Deluz. S-15 to cross the freeway, Rice Canyon, the site of my crash, ride down and back, caught the side roads up to Corona. Jumped on the freeway at Ontario down to Gypsum, the the side roads home.
My body was killing me and I was exhausted when I go home. Didn't know 4 months outta the saddle would deplete you that much!
The bike worked very well, but it definitely needs some adjustments, brake pedal, shifter, rear shocks and throttle lead the list! The seat was tolerable, I liked the postioning on my Enfield better. The rearsets were farther back and a bit lower. The Guzzi pegs are right where my legs wanna be when I put my feet down.
But it seems like it will fill the void. Not much soul to it, though! Maybe it will grow on me, but now it's just a really nice bike! Fast enough, handles pretty well, a bit slow in the steering department, but not nearly as bad as a Ducati 900SS. The rear shocks are set up as bad or worse than a G5, but at least it has a lot of available adjustments. A bit more top heavy than the Enfield, but not much heavier, probably within ten pounds.
45mpg of the high dollar stuff. I'm hoping with a minor throttle adjustment, that will go up appreciably.
But it is purty! That red anodized frame is fantastic! The number 7 is just stuck on top, so it should be quite easy to strip and put a more appropriate, and different, number on  there. Some of the other stickers are a real PITA.. and I hate all those damn things they put everywhere! I really don't need something tho tell me a motorsickle is dangerous and I could get killed.
So I guess I'll be semi departing this forum, but then I'd miss you guys. I have had a great time here. This forum is probably the friendliest, most personal one I've ever seen. I hope you've enjoyed my advise, screw ups and just general BS that I've offered you. I'm sure some of you are sick of me.
But, believe this, there definitely will still be a soft spot in my heart for you guys and REs. The bikes have definitely become #1 on my favorites list. The sales guy I got the Guzzi from started badmouthing REs, we had to have a chat. I think he got the message! They require less maintenance than the Guzzi does, you have to change 3 oil bins, adjust the valves, at least its a pushrod engine, so you don't have to screw with shims!
Anyway, I will be around to bug you a bit and it may even take awhile to get out of this daily routine here!
Bare
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:11:45 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #275 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:36 pm
Nice bike. Congrats bare and hope she does right for you. Lovin that chrome tank!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #276 on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:31 pm
Bare - don't leave us!

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #277 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:20 am
that's a nice set of wheels man, nearly went for one of those myself before i saw the G5.  and thanks for a.lk your comments on this forum, your advice really helped when i got started.  happy travels man , and stay upright. D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #278 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:35 pm
Wow..I was wondering if you were going to be able to wait all summer and even longer for the new cafe racer Enfield.....I figured  you just rough it out with your other bike.  You'll be miss and everyone appreciated your knowledge base.   Good luck with the new V7 and stay safe. GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #279 on: May 19, 2013, 07:40:38 pm
Thank you, guys, but I really haven't left yet, but right now I gotta go out in the garage and and make some adjustments on the other one!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #280 on: May 19, 2013, 08:19:07 pm
Nice goose!  My neighbor got one and he loves it and he used to play with old bonnevilles exclusivly.  I too, have been wandering!  Picked up a 1994 K75S for a song.  It's smooth and fast.  Totally different than the Enfield.  Not sure I like it well enough to part with the Enfield tho.  I know I'd miss it too much!

Keep hanging around Bare,  I've never met an exclusive Enfield rider.  Except maybe to make a disparaging comment about a Harley when it's owner isn't around  ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #281 on: May 20, 2013, 01:40:33 am
Nice bike Bare!  Though not an Enfield, it is a sharp ride.  Congrats!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #282 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:46 pm
Picked up a 1994 K75S for a song.  It's smooth and fast.  Totally different than the Enfield.
I rode a K75 several years ago through some of our local twisties in the Bouquet Cyn neighborhood. It wasn't bad, A little slow steering, but probably my favorite BMW that I've ridden. Nothing to make me want to rush out and buy, though. Not "exclusively" enough, I guess. I kinda lean toward the stuff that everyone doesn't have. Like Yamaha Visions, 750 Triples and Fazers.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #283 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:26 pm
I bought my 1987 K75T new and rode it for over 12 years.
Great bike even for long trips.  I rode it from Phoenix to San Fransisco more than a few times as well as riding it all over Arizona, Utah and Colorado.

It's counterbalanced 3 cylinder engine felt more like an electric motor with absolutely no vibration at any speed.
It did handle a bit heavy but no where near what the K1000 does and certainly better than any Hardly ever made.

If the knothead that changed lanes into me hadn't caused me to crash I probably would still have it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #284 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39:58 am
I've been enjoying the BMW and I got it for the longer summer trips. It's surprising what it will do in a parking lot with the bike leaned over and the steering to full lock and keeping it up with the throttle and rear brake. I definitely find I have to plan ahead when steering through the twisties as it seems like it takes a second to respond to input compared to the enfield.  I just took my enfield out for a ride this afternoon and it's not leaving my stable anytime soon.   ;D