Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273666 times)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #765 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:26 pm
If  you found a YouTube video of the Rumbler, there's a good chance it's one of mine.  8) There's a lot on the Thunderbird (Indian market version), but for some reason the export version (Rumbler) hasn't gotten much coverage.  So far I'm tickled pink with it. That little GN125 has a LOT going for it. It's still (in my opinion) the best of class, not that there's many 125cc "Cruiser" bikes on the market.  Now Suzuki Colombia has brought out a 150 that's a bit more "Cruiser", but they jacked the price up higher than the "improvements" warrant and I've not seen many on the street.  The GN125's are everywhere.  Got mine from the widow of a friend of mine.  It only had 60 km on it.  He was a novice and somehow killed himself the first out of town ride he took on it.  The bike had a bit of damage, but not too bad.  I gave her the value of the bike minus the repairs needed and fixed it up as time and funds allowed.  Put around 25,000 km on it before moving it on in favor of the XL200.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #766 on: April 02, 2016, 04:42:34 am
Yesterday I had to take the Chevy to pick up my wife from work and go visit some folks.  Afterwards I dropped her off to pick up the Biz100 and we headed home.  Noticing her tail light wasn't working I pulled up next to her to let her know, but she'd forgotten to turn on the headlight.  In the meantime there was a whirring sound.  Oops!  Her mechanic hasn't been doing his job.  Chain was loose and dry.   :-[ So this morning I broke out the lube and wrenches and took care of it.  Sounds much better now...
Paul

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #767 on: August 20, 2016, 10:37:33 pm
yes, I can see this thread's been quiet for a while. But seeing as I thought I'd add rather than create new, picked this '98 GPZ500S up yesterday to play with that's stood still for 4 years. Hope Flash (RE) doesn't take offence with his spanners and sockets being used on something else lol.

pre polish pic.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #768 on: August 21, 2016, 03:22:15 am
Whoa! Not much space to work, much less sling a cat.  :o
Ok, so I'll quit bitchin' about running out of space in my garage.  ;)

Still waiting for the humidity to drop so I can clear coat some parts, but I did loosely assemble the rear of the ElectraX to get an initial set for chain tension using the old chain.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #769 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:55 am
That place is a palace compared to my small shed with two bikes in it!

I bumped saddle bags pulling in the other day, and my Bonneville tipped over, hit my C5 knocking it down like a domino and sent me flying out the door! :o

I'm hoping to enlarge my shed soon meanwhile, it's a tight squeeze. :P
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #770 on: August 21, 2016, 01:08:46 pm
Not what I did to a bike but what I did to work on the bikes...I made a work bench. I used 2x4s for the frame and the top is a butcher block made from 1x2s. The bench is 4' x 2' and 3' tall. I also tossed in a couple of shelves that are 18" deep,  5/8" plywood tops. Now I want to make a riser back and hang a 3' tube light and pegboard for light tools and a bench vise on one end, not sure what side yet. So far I have about $40.00 in it but the light, pegboard and polyurethane I'm buying today to finish it will likely cost that much. Still cheaper than anything I saw and heavier built than I could buy.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #771 on: August 21, 2016, 08:59:40 pm
lol, It would be better if I made better use of the space tbh.

There's a bench behind the GPZ, although the rabbit lives in his hutch on top of it currently.

Yes it would be nice to have twice the space but think myself lucky I have that to work in compared to some who may not. Plus the extra space would only house more junk from house to garage lol.

Anyway, 1st purchases are rear pads, they fell apart, and a new battery. Uses same battery as the Enfield (bonus) so will order a Motobatt and then decide which bike to use it on.

Now, if the Enfield can use 10w40 for UK then that will save money on two different types of oil. Or if a 10w 50 is suitable for the RE then I'll use that.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #772 on: August 22, 2016, 02:26:23 am
I just got back from a week of riding my ST1300 on the back roads of MD, VA, WV, OH, KY, TN,  and NC.  We covered around 2,000 miles over seven days, without riding on Interstates.  It was a blast...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #773 on: August 22, 2016, 04:12:06 pm
Rode 200 miles round trip, up the Washington coast, from Seattle to Belingham (almost Canada) all back roads, on my T-100.  Kept up admirably with the two HD Road Kings I was riding with.  I bet there were at least 100 other Harleys and Japanese Harley copies coming and going. Did not see one British bike (other than my own) the whole ride. 

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #774 on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:20 pm
And we'll armed.  I'm still a fairly new rider, but it seems whenever I'm around my HD friends, at some point the subject of who has what kind of gun in their pocket comes up.

I do like to ride alone most of the time, then I'm free to explore where ever I want to. I appreciate being shown new places to go, but It's kind of a drag following others around all day.   :( 

It really seems there is an important element of individuality and independence that I enjoy and it adds to the experience a greater sense of gratification at the end of the day, knowing that I went where and how I wanted to.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:18:44 pm by Narada »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #775 on: August 22, 2016, 06:51:04 pm
The trip I took was with two friends I take an almost anual trip down to Deals gap with.  There are usually different people who get invited and sometimes don't get invited and show up anyway.  We would typically rent a cabin for a week, and basecamp it from there.  Last year 3 uninvited asshats showed up, and made a bad week out of the trip.  As well, our old friend and mentor to motorcycle riding passed away while we were gone.  So Wet blanket it was.  We left a day early and wandered home and the three of us decided that that was more fun, and planned for this year's trip to just be aimless wondering. 

My regular riding routine is similar to what you describe as your regular ride, Firecaptp7. 

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #776 on: August 29, 2016, 04:05:46 am
Installed Pirelli tires on my Moto Guzzi to go with the new Hagon shocks.  Road about 100 miles to scrub in the new paws and set the spring tension on the shocks.  Having lots of fun with the Italian Tart but will never replace the
nostalgia of having an Enfield.  Explains why I MUST have two bikes.  One as a destination machine and one as a time machine.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #777 on: November 21, 2016, 08:31:25 pm
I took my 2015 Triumph T-100 out for a rain ride on the Mountain Loop Highway in the north cascades. I was warm and dry in my rain gear and had a blast. Didn't see one Harley all day, LOL!!!

I learned the hard way nor to do u-turns with bars turned in loose traction from a dead stop!  Bike needs repair, I need ibuprophen!

Am thinking of getting Metzler Tourance tires.  Does anyone know if they're good with sidecars?

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #778 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:24 am
Undressed my Italian Tart and made her nakedby removing the fairing and fork gators and installing higher bars, a round headlight and new forks.  Also rebuild the brakes.  Great improvement.  Fun bike but does not deliver the pure pleasure of riding my C5.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #779 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:51 pm
Can't ride the Rumbler today (stupid laws), but had to get to town for a dental appointment (yipee!) so borrowed my wife's bike, the illustrious Honda Biz 100 she's been riding for the past 12 years.  It's a glorious 7 hp beast of a bike.  Lots of fun, just don't forget the weird shift pattern.  Only mis-shifted three times today... It's pretty decent for in town traffic filtering. If it only had a regular clutch (instead of the semi-automatic clutch on the shifter), normal shift pattern and twice the ponies it'd be a LOT of fun.   ;D
Paul