Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 277887 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #750 on: February 13, 2016, 10:22:25 pm
Good idea.

It's easy for a person who drives something to overlook things that get slowly worse over time.

A person getting into something that he/she hasn't driven for a long time will instantly see or feel something that isn't right.

When they point it out to the regular driver they get a response like, "Oh.  Yah.  It's been doing that for a long time.  I figured it was just getting old or something."
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #751 on: February 14, 2016, 01:20:02 am
Exactly.  AND it's hard to remember what needs checking on something you're not regularly riding.  Even tire pressure, if I don't remind her to get it filled, it doesn't get done.  I'm guessing the brakes need a bit of tweaking and it's time for me to check her chain.  Need to go in and see what a new lower chain guard goes for, the old one broke a tab and it'd probably cost as much to replace it as to get the old one welded.  It's been a good bike, not given much trouble at all over the past 11 years.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #752 on: March 17, 2016, 03:30:22 am
Can't wait any longer for the RE twin.  Began the process tonight to buy a 2015 Triumph T-100, Orange / Black. 

It will look very nice with my 2015 RE C5, Chrome / Maroon.  Maybe I'll trade it in for an RE twin when they come out in a year or two. 
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #753 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:40 am
I put a spacer under the chain guard on the 250 Retrostar, to stop the chain rattling against it. I new I was likely to have some issues with the little Chinese bike, but so far this is the only niggle.
Hey for half the price of a Honda, I can be niggled!
Krusty
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #754 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:37 pm
Pic of the bike?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #755 on: March 17, 2016, 05:05:55 pm
It's Wifey's bike, She is a little short of leg, so I changed the rear shocks and I modified them further by removing the assister springs and making the alloy spring seats to take up the free play. It goes well enough for a 250 and rides much like her old Sportster, just a bit lighter feeling. Not intendedto be a dig at Harley, but definite praise for Sinnis.
Krusty
Krusty

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #756 on: March 17, 2016, 05:20:03 pm
Maybe I should elaborate on that last statement in case I start something terrible!
The Harley was a 883 Superlow. It had very short travel rear shocks and a fairly steep fork rake(for a cruiser). The bikes general proportions and riding position are not a million miles from the 250. So other than the extra grunt the 883 motor delivered they feel similar.
Both bikes even cruise comfortably in the same 50-60mph range.
The wife can get her feet down about the same as well.
I should also add the 250 cost less than the depreciation on the Harley over 3 years. £2,300 on the road.
Krusty
Krusty

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #757 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:05 pm
Sweet looking bike. Wish there was something similar available here.
Paul

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #758 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:54 pm
AmBraCol, the bike is built by Jinan Qingqi Motorcycle Co, they supply Suzuki with the engine in the TU250. The Retrostar uses that same engine. We can't get the TU250 in the UK. I think it is available in the USA though.
Krusty

Krusty

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #759 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:17 pm
Krusty,

I live between the Equator and the Canal.  Suzuki no longer builds a 250 here and QuinQui doesn't bring them in either.  Royal Enfield is well on the road to taking over that market here as no one else seems to want to compete.  I like their bikes, but their 350 is too heavy for the HP available in my opinion. That bike looks like it's a great balance between weight and power for a smaller statured rider (like my wife).
Paul

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #760 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:00 pm
Paul, I forgot how international this forum is!
A real shame you haven’t got the same range of bikes to choose from as other locations.
Is shipping a bike from the States an option or is it too costly?
My knowledge of geography and current affairs is sketchy at best.
Krusty
Krusty

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #761 on: March 18, 2016, 02:40:30 am
Paul, I forgot how international this forum is!
A real shame you haven’t got the same range of bikes to choose from as other locations.
Is shipping a bike from the States an option or is it too costly?
My knowledge of geography and current affairs is sketchy at best.
Krusty

Nope on the bike shipping.  By the time one pays transportation and importation taxes one is paying the same or more than a comparable model down here - if there is a comparable model.  And then one has no access to parts.  That's why I was tickled to find out the new arrangements Royal Enfield had made to import bikes more affordably than before.  They now sell the least expensive 500 CC bike in the country, well below the next one which would be the Suzuki GS500, and WAAAAY below the rest of the pack.  The Rumbler we picked up isn't the cheapest, but the small difference in price made me opt for the newer technology in the gauge cluster and lights.  Still, that little Sinnis is a sweet looking ride!  It's quite reminiscent of the little GN125 I used to have.  That was a good bike  - for a smaller rider.  Still, it took me up and over the Andes many times, whining the whole way, pegged out at 10,000 RPM or slightly less. The XL200 that replaced it was better in the power department, but  too cramped.  The Rumbler has given me a much better riding experience, plenty of power for climbing the mountains and a comfortable ride.  My longest trip so far was 12 hours including stops, from way out in the Eastern Plains, over the Eastern Range of the Andes, across the Magdalena River valley, over the Central Range and home.
Paul

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #762 on: March 18, 2016, 08:06:07 am
It's Wifey's bike, She is a little short of leg, so I changed the rear shocks and I modified them further by removing the assister springs and making the alloy spring seats to take up the free play. It goes well enough for a 250 and rides much like her old Sportster, just a bit lighter feeling. Not intendedto be a dig at Harley, but definite praise for Sinnis.
Krusty
It would be most interesting to get the occasional update on this bike, quality, durability, and reliability as the miles pile on. :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #763 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:12 pm
Hi Malky, Yes I will try to give updates on the 250. They may be slow coming and a little sporadic, the wife is strictly a fair weather rider and does maybe 1k miles a year at best!
This was the reason the Harley went. This is a much more affordable proposition for such an infrequent rider.
Krusty
Krusty

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #764 on: March 18, 2016, 08:02:53 pm
Hi AmBraCol, That sounds like a sweet trip. I'd not seen or heard of the Rumbler until I came across it on a YouTube video. Looks a nice bike and ripe for modifying.
Funny you should mention the GN125, that was the wife's 1st bike. She loved that little bike, I even used it for work now and then.
We paid £900 for it and sold it 5 maybe 6 years later for £800. Cheap biking at it's very best.
Krusty
Krusty