Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273992 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #615 on: June 16, 2014, 08:59:12 pm
oh  gee  i just bought another bike. a 1980 250 yamaha thumper

Was it the Exciter? I used to have one of those, Excellent little bike. It would cruise down the freeway, even two up, fast enough to get a speeding ticket. My ex rode it for while, but traded it for a dirt bike.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #616 on: June 16, 2014, 09:20:56 pm
Saturday, I rode up to Lake Isabella with the "Three Bulleteers" sans the Bullets. I on the Guzzi, Steve on his BMW and Jack on his Street Triple. It was a nice ride, but not too exciting as the roads were generally pretty straight. We were on the 395 most of the way. It was a good test ride to see if I'd eradicated all the Gremlins that I had harassing for the last month or so. seems the big one was slightly loose manifold clamp causing an occasional air leak on the right cylinder. Tightened it up and all is as it should be! So it was a good ride and enjoyable as the weather was great. It was 414 miles for me. I went to the Father's Day party at Century Cycle in San Pedro Sunday after watching the Moto GP race and seeing Rossi ending up second behind Marquez after a great race with Pedroza and Lorenzo duking it out into the last lap. Rossi is now 2nd in the standings.
The turnout was quite good at the Party with some interesting stuff there. I didn't stick around for lunch, but did chat with several old friends. The crowd has certainly in the last few years. It used to be a Brit bike show, but the Brit stuff is getting more and more rare and new machines are replacing them. Harley's are getting more numerous there, too.
I did tack on another 80 miles and went over 14,500 mile on the Guzzi.
Gotta get down to the RE shop this week and try out a Continental GT.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #617 on: June 17, 2014, 08:05:07 am
Saturday, I rode up to Lake Isabella with the "Three Bulleteers" sans the Bullets. I on the Guzzi, Steve on his BMW and Jack on his Street Triple. It was a nice ride, but not too exciting as the roads were generally pretty straight. We were on the 395 most of the way. It was a good test ride to see if I'd eradicated all the Gremlins that I had harassing for the last month or so. seems the big one was slightly loose manifold clamp causing an occasional air leak on the right cylinder. Tightened it up and all is as it should be! So it was a good ride and enjoyable as the weather was great. It was 414 miles for me. I went to the Father's Day party at Century Cycle in San Pedro Sunday after watching the Moto GP race and seeing Rossi ending up second behind Marquez after a great race with Pedroza and Lorenzo duking it out into the last lap. Rossi is now 2nd in the standings.
The turnout was quite good at the Party with some interesting stuff there. I didn't stick around for lunch, but did chat with several old friends. The crowd has certainly in the last few years. It used to be a Brit bike show, but the Brit stuff is getting more and more rare and new machines are replacing them. Harley's are getting more numerous there, too.
I did tack on another 80 miles and went over 14,500 mile on the Guzzi.
Gotta get down to the RE shop this week and try out a Continental GT.
Bare
I had to work in the morning. Got to Century in the afternoon after watching MotoGP! All the food was gone but the band played on. Tim has that life sized mural of Tom Sykes on his wall and didn't even know who he was until I told him. In a way Tim is responsible for me being back on a Royal Enfield. He tried for months to sell my Stella but when that failed I traded it in at Route 66. Is there another RE shop in the area? I need an oil filter and a destination in the morning.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #618 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:51 pm
Matt Capri's South Bay Triumph in Lomita is probably closest to you.
South Bay Triumph
2300 Pacific Coast Highway Lomita CA 90717
Phone: 310-784-7693 Fax: 310-784-7696

SoCal Triumph is in Brea, 1515 W. Lambert, there's a shop up in the valley in No. Hollywood,5144 Vineland,  and Doug Douglas Triumph in San Bernadino, I-215 and 5th, then turn back south to 4th on "H" St
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #619 on: June 17, 2014, 07:15:32 pm
That was a pretty great GP race on Sunday (aside from the coverage, which is so painful).  I was really routing for Rossi to hold the lead, but Marc Marquez is just unstoppable.  The only chance anyone stands, is Marquez crashing out, which I thought he may do near end there.  Great effort by Pedrosa as well, including avoiding going down after contact with Marquez's rear tire on the last lap.

Bare, where is the closest RE dealer to you?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #620 on: June 18, 2014, 06:50:29 am
South Bay Triumph

SoCal Triumph is in Brea, 1515 W. Lambert, there's a shop up in the valley in No. Hollywood,5144 Vineland,  and Doug Douglas Triumph in San Bernadino, I-215 and 5th, then turn back south to 4th on "H" St
Bare

I was out the door by the time you wrote this but thanks anyway. I rode out to Douglas. Nice shop! I got the filter and drooled on several bikes. Then they let me ride a GT! Amazing the difference 35cc makes. I ran it up to 130! The big numbers on the speedo are KPH. It was smooth and powerful. The riding position is as extreme as my old 900SS Ducati. The suspension and brakes are miles ahead of the C5 but I can't take the riding position for very long.
After that I took the 215 to 138 to 2 and back to Glendale for lunch. It was a bit chilly and windy on the Angeles Crest but a fun ride anyway.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #621 on: June 18, 2014, 06:50:52 am
South Bay Triumph

Bare

I was out the door by the time you wrote this but thanks anyway. I rode out to Douglas. Nice shop! I got the filter and drooled on several bikes. Then they let me ride a GT! Amazing the difference 35cc makes. I ran it up to 130! The big numbers on the speedo are KPH. It was smooth and powerful. The riding position is as extreme as my old 900SS Ducati. The suspension and brakes are miles ahead of the C5 but I can't take the riding position for very long.
After that I took the 215 to 138 to 2 and back to Glendale for lunch. It was a bit chilly and windy on the Angeles Crest but a fun ride anyway.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #622 on: June 18, 2014, 08:43:20 am
I was out the door by the time you wrote this but thanks anyway. I rode out to Douglas. Nice shop! I got the filter and drooled on several bikes. Then they let me ride a GT! Amazing the difference 35cc makes. I ran it up to 130! The big numbers on the speedo are KPH. It was smooth and powerful. The riding position is as extreme as my old 900SS Ducati.

That's interesting. I was out today on my 900 SS lookalike 600 Pantah, and after riding the GT, I felt like I was folded up like a pocket knife. The Pantah has real clip ons and real rearsets and took a bit of getting used to it again. Didn't take too long though. I did miss the GT's turning circle, too. But god, I love the smooth, smooth power.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #623 on: June 18, 2014, 04:16:17 pm
Have you posted a pic of your Duc, gizzo?  Would love to see it.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #624 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:41 pm
Bare, where is the closest RE dealer to you?

I live about 4 miles from SoCal Triumph in Brea, but I bought my G5 from Doug Douglas (40 miles) in San Bernaghetto, before Socal was a dealer. I prefer the SB shop even though I've bought other bikes from SoCal. The owner, Tom, at Socal, has been a friend for about 20 years, but the shop is too expensive for my blood, or wallet!
I did test ride a cafe racer out at SB today. See my post in the Continental GT section.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #625 on: June 19, 2014, 03:01:03 am
Here you go, boggy. I posted a pic of the Pantah in Members Rides.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #626 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:27 pm
Heck ya! That's the type of ride that got me into motorcycles as a kid.  Look at that fairing!

Awesome bike.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #627 on: June 19, 2014, 05:33:00 pm
sorry i took so long in answering the question about the 250 yamaha . i have been away 10 days on a trip to the east coast where i picked up my fireball from chumma . i am really am not sure. i think the 250 is a exciter. now i"m wondering, should i license it as a vintage (collectable one time license fee)  bike or make a cafe. its kinda small for a racer.no?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #628 on: June 19, 2014, 06:20:15 pm
Cafe that baby! My daughter rides a CBR250r Honda. It is a blast to ride! Last year I bought a SYM Wolf 150. It is a cafe version of the Honda CB125S. I later sold it to my daughter's best friend to learn to ride on. Little bikes are the most fun in the curves. Antique status is based on the year, not the style. It will never be a collector bike. Should be fun!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #629 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:34 pm
It would take a bit of work to get away from that almost cruiser styling, but it could certainly be doable. 250s have been very popular as cafe racers in the 60s and 70s. Most of them were two strokes, but there were a few popular 4-strokes, 1965 RE Continental for one! You can bet the Yamaha will out power the old RE. Not quite sure about the new one, but the one I had was pretty sporty! I really did like the bike. sometimes rode it to work instead of the SR500.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:12:50 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer