Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273521 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #570 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:38 pm
A bunch of Guzzisti had a great ride yesterday up the Crest, Angeles Forest, back down Lower Big Tujunga, across Little Tujunga, connected with Bouquet Cyn and Spunky Cyn and ended up at the Rock Inn. Never have seen so many bikes there. It was an incredible mob. Pretty much put the usual crowd at the Rock Store to shame. But mostly Hardleys. They were out front trying to see who could out noise who! Took us over an hour to get served lunch, (we were warned!), we came back down Spunky and Bouguet then crossed on Soledad and Aliso to Angeles Forest and down Angeles Crest. We were avoiding the higher altitudes and it worked well. The weather was perfect, the roads were generally in great shape, a few spots of dirt on the road, but not bad.
Since I suggested the route, I got stuck leading most of it. But it was a great ride even though I had to work my butt off to keep anyone from getting bored! 
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #571 on: April 07, 2014, 11:57:09 pm
Took a quick spin to visit Jimi, its been a while...

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #572 on: April 08, 2014, 12:24:16 am
A bunch of Guzzisti had a great ride yesterday up the Crest, Angeles Forest, back down Lower Big Tujunga, across Little Tujunga, connected with Bouquet Cyn and Spunky Cyn and ended up at the Rock Inn. Never have seen so many bikes there. It was an incredible mob. Pretty much put the usual crowd at the Rock Store to shame. But mostly Hardleys. They were out front trying to see who could out noise who! Took us over an hour to get served lunch, (we were warned!), we came back down Spunky and Bouguet then crossed on Soledad and Aliso to Angeles Forest and down Angeles Crest. We were avoiding the higher altitudes and it worked well. The weather was perfect, the roads were generally in great shape, a few spots of dirt on the road, but not bad.
Since I suggested the route, I got stuck leading most of it. But it was a great ride even though I had to work my butt off to keep anyone from getting bored! 
Bare

Ahhhh, the Rock Inn.  I know it well.  Great riding roads out there.  My sister and her family used to live nearby.  Her husband and his band used to play there often.  It was on the circuit for him to include the Country Club in Tehachapi, a dive in Taft and Buck Owens' place in Oildale. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #573 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:08 pm
I went down to the MEBC meet theis morning and there were 15 or 16 guys there, the biggest turnout probably ever! Even another Guzzi, but I never got a chance to talk to the owner. We left to ride the Deluz/Avocado fields and all went well for awahile.  I was near the rear of the pack when someone in the middle ofthe pack turned off DeLuz. The next few people followed him because I could only see a couple of people in front of me. Well, the lead pack had gone straight. By the time I got turned around everyone had gone a different way, and I never caught up with the main pack. so I puttered down there for awhile, Then went up to Ortega as it was starting to get hot! Like upper 80s. So I just went home on the usual twisties from there. Did manage to get in a couple of hundred though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #574 on: April 11, 2014, 05:06:20 pm
we took our 1st good ride of the season here on the western slope. Locals call it "the Gateway Loop", bout 225 miles. It covers everything from a 9,000 ft. pass to a desert canyon.
   Good time had by all - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #575 on: April 11, 2014, 05:19:18 pm
Where did you find a painting large enough to park in front of, Mike?  That view is incredible.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #576 on: April 12, 2014, 12:28:51 am
That was taken on Dallas Divide which is about 10 miles
west of Ridgway, Co. There was an early snow up there last fall
so we had the spectacular fall colors with a snow white back
round. and then there is the desert canyon part of the day...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #577 on: April 12, 2014, 01:59:29 pm
Here's what I've been doing ( since Wednesday evening )...

http://krqe.com/
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #578 on: April 12, 2014, 05:25:31 pm
i just re painted my 65 triumphs gas tank. my first time with my new hvlp spraygun from harbor freight.a few days ago i did the primer, then the base coat. man it went on perfect! then the clearcoat /pearl very thin stuff ,and it ran. so sanding sanding sanding  .this morning i re -base coated parts of the tank (outside) but now it "s about to storm so here i am.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #579 on: April 13, 2014, 01:17:33 pm
i just re painted my 65 triumphs gas tank. my first time with my new hvlp spraygun from harbor freight.a few days ago i did the primer, then the base coat. man it went on perfect! then the clearcoat /pearl very thin stuff ,and it ran. so sanding sanding sanding  .this morning i re -base coated parts of the tank (outside) but now it "s about to storm so here i am.

Bob - The trick to spraying clear coat is HIGHer air pressure.  You don't want too much air pressure to where you have over spray going everywhere, but you don't want it to go on thick either.  I spray clear at around 30-35psi at the gun.  For spraying base coat and sealer you want to spray at around 25psi at the gun.  Also which HF gun did you purchase?  The $20 guns do NOT spray very well.  They are good for squirting primer and that is about it.  Also, when spraying sealer and base coat you should use a 1.3 tipped gun, clear coat you want to use a 1.4 tipped gun.  Tho if you are using "cheap" clear coat that is "thin" you will be better off using the 1.3 tipped gun.  A 1.4 tipped gun will work for base and sealer as well, but you may want to set your trigger so it is not pulling all the way back/open.

Another trick I can give you is making sure your spray pattern is consistent.  The best way to check this is to spray a piece of cardboard or such.  Don't "spray" the cardboard, but hold the gun still about 6-10" away and just pull the trigger for a second or 2.  What you are looking for is a nice consistent stripe throughout the entire spray mark.  Adjust your spray pattern (the knob that controls the spray from going from a flat to round pattern) so that you have a wide AND consistent pattern.  If you are getting "blotches" at the top or bottom of your pattern, your spray head is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

If you continue to have problems getting a uniform coat, send me a PM with your number and I can talk you through it over the phone.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #580 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:09 am
Bob - I asked a question once about applying a water transfer.  Scottie responded with a similar reply - everything I could possibly need to know for my job, and then some!  To quote another thread, the proof is in the pudding - check out his finish work and you'll see he knows his $hit.

We're lucky to have him, and so many others who have knowledge and skills, so willing to go through such lengths to help us!

Thanks all you guys!!!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #581 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:20 am
i have the better harbor freight gun with pressure gauge . the problem is me being inexperienced but i think i have a solution..  at my first attempt at clearcoating my runs were on the side panels the top came out beautyfully. horizontal is the way to go. so i will put the tank on a rotissery and only spray horizontally. thanks for the info ( my nozzel is 1.4)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #582 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:03 am
Took a quick spin to visit Jimi, its been a while...
Hey, you got a CCW Heist?

I have a similar bike, the DF250RTB
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #583 on: April 14, 2014, 02:05:07 am
Bob - It's a little hard to tell in this pic but I made a stand for my gas tank for about $20.  I just went to Home Depot and bought a 12' 2X6 and some truss braces and screws.  I cut the wood to the needed size pieces and then assembled it together.  For the feet I just took a some 16" pieces and screwed them into the side legs with lag bolts.  Not only did it work phenomenal for painting the tank, but now I always have a place to set my tank when I need to remove it to work on the bike.

Also, a few more tips to remember.  When you are spraying NEVER stop your spray path on the item you are painting.  Always go PAST what you are spraying, this help eliminate your runs.  Keep your gun square to the surface you are spraying, meaning flow with the curves and edges keeping the same distance away and making sure that your gun is always shooting straight at the surface.  And last but not least, utilize a 50-70% overlap, meaning each path with the gun you make should overlap your precious path by 50-70%.  If you are spraying high metallics or pearls, it is also a good idea to do a bridge coat.  This is where you turn up your air pressure and hold the gun about 14-16" away from the surface, and quickly moving the gun up and down AND THEN side to side misting the paint on.  This will help hide any imperfections in your paint and give you a more uniform color/coverage.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:10:27 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #584 on: April 14, 2014, 04:34:37 am
Hey, you got a CCW Heist?

I have a similar bike, the DF250RTB

No it's a Kikker,  I thought you have sold the Dang.  Have been watching your post on the chinese site for years it seems.