Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273661 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #555 on: March 24, 2014, 05:22:32 pm
The catlight was definitely swiped. I had just checked the screws the day before. They were fine. Someone definitely wanted it! In fact, it was still there when I went into the restaurant. I would have noticed it if it had been gone. and I know it was there at the last stop we make My Jacket was laying on the bike and was still there. I have pictures to prove that. So I lost $25.00 in the deal. I went down to my local Triumph vintage shop and got another tone the next day. And no, the Guzzi does not shake like the Enfield. It is very smooth. A very light buzz at certain RPMs. The mirrors are always quite clear.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #556 on: March 24, 2014, 05:39:39 pm
I went down to Temecula for what as supposed to be a BSA club ride yesterday. No one showed up so I was forced to take my own ride. I went on down to Fallbrook and over to Deluz, one of my favorite roads and headed back north on it. There was a fair amount of traffic heading South, but in the 20 miles to the North end of the route, I ran into no traffic at all. Southbound must've been 2 dozen cages , a couple of Sheriff's cruisers, and three Hardleys. The road still had a lot of dirty spots and a couple of spots where water was running over the road, but generally was a great ride!
I went on up to Ortega and headed west. There was a lot of traffic headed east, but I only caught 4 cages all the way across the good part of the road until about 4 miles from my turnoff when I got behind several cages, but it doesn't really matter there. the good stuff as behind me. The original 4 cages actually pulled over for me so didn't cause me any loss of time at all! the road was very clean. It was a great ride overall. so if the Beezer guys ever showed, I hope they had as good a ride as I did.
I got the EFI remapped a couple of days ago and it ran great. It wasn't bad anyway, but the new map just really smoothed the throttle response. It was kinda like changing to an NGK plug on the Enfields. You don't really think there's anything wrong with it until you do it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #557 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:04 pm
That's some good riding out that way. I lived in Hemet back in the mid 80's and know that Temecula area well. Sold my KZ650C just before I moved there so I was left to tear up those roads with my '67 Goat.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #558 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:29 pm
A lot of the roads have changed a lot since the 80s when they used to be kinda gravelly paved are really nicely paved nowadays, Like Sage Road. That is a really nice, now. A lot of the roads that used to be dirt down in the avocado fields by Temecula/Fallbrook are paved now. Fantastic riding out in them thar hills!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #559 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:53 pm
This weekend I dropped the motor out of my Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager. I bought the bike a few years back and had been listening to a rattling noise coming from the engine since I bought it. Well after many hours on the AVA forum asking questions about this noise and checking this and that and then spending another few hours consulting the forum Voyager guru over the phone the consensus of the cause of the rattle was a broken starter chain tensioner. So yanked the motor, split the case with fingers crossed and low and behold the tensioner truly had taken a dump. A small actuator spring was sticking out the top of the tensioner. But wait one minute, not so fast, a couple minutes of fiddle f*ckin with the tensioner and it works perfect. So I asked myself, "Self should I reuse this old tensioner that works perfectly now that I have fiddle f*cked it back together and save $100 or should I pop for a brand new one?" Well the $100 was quickly spent after just one thought of contemplating another case splitting weekend. So 3 days and $220 later my problem will be fixed for good. Savings for doing this myself, about $1500+. Anyway there aren't many mechanics out there that will touch a Voyager and few Kawasaki shops that have many mechanics that have ever touched one either. I can always count on myself to do the work and to do it correctly, not taking shortcuts to save a few bucks. OK alright already, I did take one shortcut. Made a tool to remove the flywheel because I'm to cheap to buy a impact wrench. Well my birthday is coming up soon so I will have something on the list for my wife to buy. She actually gave me some money for Christmas to do this repair so I guess I will have to consider keeping her around for a while.

Check the cam chain tensioner on that Voyager too. My Vulcan 750 has 2 cam chain tensioners, and both had started to fail by 15,000 miles. I replaced them with new oem parts, which only lasted 10,000 miles. Then I replaced them with aftermarket manual tensioners, the bike now has 89,000 miles on it, no more problems. Kawasaki made that bike for 22 years, and never did fix the problem, so a lot of engines failed due to broken cam chains.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #560 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:58 pm
Check the cam chain tensioner on that Voyager too. My Vulcan 750 has 2 cam chain tensioners, and both had started to fail by 15,000 miles. I replaced them with new oem parts, which only lasted 10,000 miles. Then I replaced them with aftermarket manual tensioners, the bike now has 89,000 miles on it, no more problems. Kawasaki made that bike for 22 years, and never did fix the problem, so a lot of engines failed due to broken cam chains.

I don't think the Voyager XII had that issue. The issue it did have early on was the igniter wasn't designed correctly and along with a weak starter chain and starter chain tensioner problems arose. If the owner tried to start the bike with a weak battery the starter chain could break. Kawasaki remedied this problem by redesigning and improving all the parts and by warranting all the work for all the bikes who's chains broke. My issue with the broken starter chain tensioner is very uncommon. These bikes are engineered like tanks, they're also designed in a way that makes them very easy to work on.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #561 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:57 pm
Was going to go down to Temecula this morning, but it was raining! Oh, well, catch up with some racing on the tube. Still haven't watched race 2 of the World Superbike from last weekend.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #562 on: March 27, 2014, 03:47:20 am
This week I put a tank protector on the CBR250R.  It works to stop my gear from making scratches on the tank, and also makes the tank look nicer, at least to my eyes.  A 75 mile ride in Spring weather was what the doctor ordered, with smooth 65mph speeds at times.  The 84mpg is just a bonus. 

The new (to me) Corbin seat is pretty nice.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #563 on: March 30, 2014, 04:22:18 am
I took a ride down to Carlsbad to Hennessey's for a repast with the Breakfast club. After last night's earthquake or 3 I needed to go for a ride. Breakfast was good and I got to talk to friends for awhile but no one was really going for a ride, s I headed back up and stopped by a couple of bike shops to see friends then headed on home to watch the F1 qualifying, I got some of the mess in the garage cleaned up then sat down to watch TV and low and behold, and other earthquake hit me in the butt!
 I just picked the phone, when I rang and my wife was wondering if I had felt any earthquakes today. "Yeah, one just quit!" Anyway, here was another 4.1 to feast on. But it wasn't the one she called aobut. Apparently here friend had told her she felt one earlier in the morning. I wasn't around then, but it couldn't have been much. Anyway just a reminder that I live in Cantifordia!  Meanwhile, the qualifying for F1 was looking more like a cow pissing on a flat rock.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #564 on: March 30, 2014, 04:20:28 pm
Rode my Chinese hard tail out to the ranch to check on the hog traps. No bacon.
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #565 on: March 31, 2014, 04:33:48 pm
I didn't feel the quakes down in North County.  Or maybe I'm just too used to the subway being underfoot back East.

I've had a chance last week to do a few laps of Gopher/Castle/W.Lilac.  I'm trying to figure out a perfect, 1 hour loop for when I'm short on time and just need a fix.  Man, Bare, West Lilac is a blast!  Those switch back sections...

Bonsall, California is beautiful.  Exploring pays off when you are rewarded with these views.  Still can't believe I live here.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #566 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:19 pm
Put the battery in the Yamaha  XVS 1100, put air in the tires and took her out for a 30 minute cruise...Beautiful day in Virginia....
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #567 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:27 am
I didn't feel the quakes down in North County.  Or maybe I'm just too used to the subway being underfoot back East.

Yeah, you are pretty far south to be feeling that. North Orange county. You're about 60 miles away. If you'da felt it, we'da been toast!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #568 on: April 07, 2014, 12:24:15 pm
finally the glacier has receded here in wisconsin and the frost heaved apron on the bike shed receded enough to get my bike out. so my son on his "new"04 triumph datona and i on my bonnie went for a 47 mile ride to visit his buddy.going there  60 +mph. coming back (Alone)45 mph.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #569 on: April 07, 2014, 12:28:40 pm
Rode my Ural out to the ranch to finish painting the old cracker house(1920s) that I rebuilt fifteen years ago.
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC