Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273603 times)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: April 19, 2012, 01:02:02 pm
Got the new front tire for the 920 yesterday .got that all back together, went for a short ride and fouled a plug.I think the revs were too low but will do some carb adjusting.This thing is way different to ride from Jolly.Just a matter of getting used to the thing,I guess.Boy that headlite is ugly.It seems to be almost chest high to me.The bike is actually pretty clean,but I am tempted to make some styling changes next winter'get rid of the wide screen tv and the nutsy handlebars and that crazed looking hdlite and................why in hell did I buy this thing.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #151 on: April 20, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
Weak spark on #2 plug.Will get new plugs,be surprised if it is not the coil,tho'.Plugs are only 10 yrs old.Coils are 30.Not trying to monopolize the thread...............

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #152 on: April 22, 2012, 10:13:19 pm
Turned a wrench on the HD today.   Installed the leads for a battery tender and fixed the front rocker leak.   It appears the last owner had replaced the paper gasket with a metal one but failed to clean off the mating surfaces.   Hmmmm.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #153 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:42 am
With such NICE WEATHER in the Seattle area today, with temps at a yearly (so far) high of 75F, it was mandatory to go riding today.

I put 135 miles on the baby Breva Guzzi and got 56mpg for the tank. 

This gorgeous ride took me to the Green Valley Road in Auburn and then through Black DIamond and the Green River gorge.  I checked out my Harley brothers in Cumberland, all riding in uniform of 3/8 helmet, jeans, black vest, and boots.  Most of them don't wave at my non-Harley mode of transporation.   ;)

After topping Tiger Mountain, the parking lot at Snoqualmie Falls had a boatload of motorcycles and some nice scenery.

Most of the doo-rag wearing bikers are pretty nice when you talk to them.  When I tell them of my 14 years on an Electra-Hog, they respect my street-cred.  The Japanese builders sure try to copy HD in their cruiser lines.  Some are pretty good copies, probably for a lot less $$.

The weather was ideal for full gear and warm comfort.  The Breva purred like a kitten doing 30 or doing 75 (more growl at that speed, though  :D).
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #154 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:32 am
I needed to cover a couple hundred miles in short order so I rode my Shovel Head.
 Nice, familiar and comforting just like old times to be eating up miles of super slab astride my trusty old friend.

A passing dual sport reminded me of the mobility and route limitations of road going only machines.

Even if shod with the gnarliest of knobby's my cherished shovel will never be capable of traversing the terrain that my Bullet does.

It was still a good day.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #155 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17:00 am
After over 100 miles 2 up last week on  the HD decided some changes were needed.   Trolled ebay and found some cast off Road King rear shocks for $70.  Raised the rear of my Custom by 1.5" and now she sits more like a roadster.   I can still flat foot the bike at stops but just barely.   With 9lbs in the back it seems pretty stiff and we will have to give it a go 2up before I reduce it for softness.   Of course now I will have to invest in some progressive springs and heavier oil for the front as the stock setup is horrific.

Of the 10 miles with the new setup I have no concern about dragging pegs any more and was unable to bottom the rears out. Got a good clunk up front over a speed bump though.

Not the best photo.

Tuesday I will be putting a 19" wheel on the front in trade for the 21" that is there now.  If I felt the need I imagine the bike would be a capable dual sportish type if I put a more aggressive tread on.  

I bought this bike to just ride,  told myself "eh, I will just leave it stock and ride it".  Well, that does not seem to be the case.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: May 07, 2012, 01:01:39 am
The Virago had a malfunctioning petcock.This let raw fuel into the rear cylinder thru the vacuum line that controls the ON setting for fuel flow from the tank.Now I just set it on PRIME and turn it to ON to shut it off.Plugged the manifold bung and the petcock bung.Now all automatic running devises are disconnected and/or plugged.Runs great.There is a lot to like about this bike.There is a lot not to like about this bike.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: May 07, 2012, 04:42:28 am
Today I took a 105 mile ride east of Seattle with temp's in the low 60's.  The tank fill-up showed 58mpg, not bad with me hanging with some buzzy and noisy 4-bangers.

The Breva now has 1550 miles and is becoming smoother at lower rpm's.  This Guzzi is fast becoming my favorite all-time bike, so light and nimble.  We'll see how the summer riding stacks up.

I visited my widowed mom with sister, and older brother (in town until tomorrow) and had some really great (from the garden) rhubarb pie with ice cream on top.  Some simple pleasures never go out of style.   :)

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #158 on: May 08, 2012, 05:47:48 am
wow you need to experience more cycles!
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: May 08, 2012, 07:50:22 pm
wow you need to experience more cycles!
Over 40 years of riding has given me many experiences on many motorcycles.  Sizes from 90cc (Honda CL90) to 1340cc (Electra-Glide) to 984cc (Buell XB9S Lightning), and three thumpers (SR500, Blast, Bullet).

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #160 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:56 pm
not bashing you just never heard any1 talk up a 750 breeze so much. im glad for you that its a great fit for you but just 1500 miles to conclude its the greatest bike ever? ;D

i know you didnt say that but darn.   they are cool but in my opinion only overpriced. i looked at them. 06 or so and 8k plus fee's? plenty of other good bikes to choose from at the time for that price.  i think a 500 RE was 4800$.

i like the v7 racer better then then thruxton. but for 10k no way for me.

i did to flogg a buell 9r and 12r on the street dealer was shocked when they came back missing their chicken strips.  but they were built for the average  rider with their stupid
geomotrey what was it like 82mm trail?  never had a bike shake its head so hard driving out of a corner.  their own the corners marking was a joke.

maybe some day i pick up a guzzi but i normally buy used. and were i live everybody thinks they have a rare super duper collector bike ::)
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:23 am
quote author=fzr400
Not bashing you, just never heard anyone talk up a 750 breeze so much. I'm glad for you that its a great fit for you, but just 1,500 miles to conclude its the greatest bike ever? ;D

I had two Guzzis before this one.  This one is the breeze (off the lake, cool that you know that!) for me, at least right now.  The power output is way plenty for me.  Heck, I might end my riding days on a 350cc scooter!   :D

I know you didnt say that but darn.   They are cool but, in my opinion only, overpriced. i looked at them. 06 or so and 8k plus fee's? plenty of other good bikes to choose from at the time for that price.  i think a 500 RE was 4800$.

Well, Moto International in Seattle gets new old stock Guzzis from defunct dealers and sells them cheap.  My new '05 Breva (bought last July), complete with 2-year transferable warranty, was $4990.  I agree with you that the MSRP is high.  My 2010 C5 was $6400.  I prefer air cooled bikes.

i like the v7 racer better then then thruxton. but for 10k no way for me.  Agreed.

i did to flog a buell 9r and 12r on the street dealer was shocked when they came back missing their chicken strips.  but they were built for the average  rider with their stupid
geometry' what was it, like, 82mm trail?  Never had a bike shake its head so hard driving out of a corner.  Their own the corners marking was a joke.

I loved the XB9S dearly, but it was flawed, as you say.  New tires took care of some of the cornerning craziness.  T-boning a Honda Civic on it was the end of my sport-bike love.

maybe some day i pick up a guzzi but i normally buy used. and were i live everybody thinks they have a rare super duper collector bike ::)

One bike at a time for me, although an electric bike might be my commuter soon.  This 60 year old body needs help going up Seattle's hills!

fzr400

• Scooter
Reply #162 on: May 09, 2012, 03:59:26 am
only 60? should have another 60  to go ;D
current bikes
90 yamaha fzr 400
99 yamaha vmax
04 honda rc51
11 RE B5
all us spec

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #163 on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:18 am
Rode my Shovel Head "with gusto" to ward off possible chicken striping.  :)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #164 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:33 am
Been spending time going through the factory service manual, ordered a parts manual and some dirt track style tank and fender ala XR750 but with a larger capacity tank and tailight....been studying cams available for this engine(I think the stock cam may have conceded too much to idle quality, the epa, and noice concerns. But it seems like the few available options are all spec'd for high rpm usage( which seems contrary to a motor that is clearly at its best in the 6k and under range, why do I want a cam that pulls hard to over 7500rpm when the motor won't survive very long there or run worth crap below 4500?) besides that I am just chomping at the bit to get my hands on it in 22 days....