Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 282665 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: April 08, 2012, 06:21:55 pm
I mentioned this to the salesman and he said there were a lot of aftermarket silencers available and their mechanics could remap the computer for just about anything including a straight pipe.

Did he happen to mention how much they cost? They're getting over $1000 for some of those mufflers. I paid $750 for the Thunderbike silencers(??) I had on my Scrambler. And the prices have gone up since then.They were way too loud. I think straight pipes would've been quieter. I like the idea of $62 to $200 for Enfield silencers.

Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #136 on: April 09, 2012, 01:03:29 am

...  It really irritates me when guys come on this forum just to complain about their bikes or brag about how great their "other bike" is.    ;)     
+1
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: April 15, 2012, 05:03:19 pm
Yeah.Can't really keep up with the bigger bikes on the Patriot Guard missions,so decided to get out the ole' Virago 920 and get 'er going.Gave it to my son 8 0r so yrs ago and it has not moved since.Less than 11,000 miles on it.Cleaned the carbs,cleaned the brake m.c. and the calipers.Lubed the cables,chnged oil and on and on.Fired right up and ran well,brake system fine and not leaking and so on.These have a starter bendix that gradually eats away at itself until it is useless.Took all that apart and made it worse.Took apart again and put back as close as I could to the way itwas,have not tried it yet.When oil and filter are replaced one is supposed to disconnect an oil feed line to make sure oil is pumping.I kid you not,just like an iron barrel.And,obviously,the starter is a joke.No kick start to fall back on,either.So,still some similarities.Goofy looking thing,but it is a nice ride.And, it will cruise at whatever.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #138 on: April 15, 2012, 05:37:18 pm
I have been commuting on the HD for the past week because I put the fuel tank from my 07 on the 95 since it had gas in it as I drained the 95s tank when I replaced the petcock.     

Went to ride in to work this morning and the battery on the Harley is dead again.  The thing really hates my 4 mile commute.   I took it for a 30 mile ride on Tuesday so I thought it would be ok.     POS,  I am going to have to troublshoot the charging system or possibly an issue with the wire harness as it was eating fuses a week ago and the issue was in the main harness then also.      Will be getting a real battery tender this week for it.   Might as well have an electric bike for all the charging I have to do.

I wonder if the wife would mind a Triumph in the garage.  I think she is partial to the HD though.

Poured some lawnmower gas in the Hack and she started 2nd kick.  Took that to work.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: April 16, 2012, 01:35:49 am
I took the Guzzi on a great 70 mile ride and got 50.0 mpg on the fillup after some spirited riding.  Twin pipes at 7k rpm make really cool music!   :D

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20:27 am
I have always wanted a Guzzi.Partial to the 60's styling but like all of 'em.They have the engine turned the right way.Seems so obvious.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #141 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:12 pm
new turn signals, headlight. fork seals and rectifier-regulator on the srx 6. rode it home from lacrosse..took the hilly curvey baclroads.loose gravel on some of  the curves keep me alert.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: April 16, 2012, 03:15:14 pm
Yeah.Can't really keep up with the bigger bikes on the Patriot Guard missions,so decided to get out the ole' Virago 920 and get 'er going.Gave it to my son 8 0r so yrs ago and it has not moved since....

Goofy looking thing,but it is a nice ride.And, it will cruise at whatever.

I always liked the 920 Virago, EXCEPT for the square headlight.   ;)

Yesterday I talked with the owner of one as we filled up our bikes.  He had his in great shape, cruising the mean streets of Seattle in the Magnolia district.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: April 16, 2012, 03:16:57 pm
I have always wanted a Guzzi.Partial to the 60's styling but like all of 'em.They have the engine turned the right way.Seems so obvious.
The V7 Classic is a nod in the direction of the 60's styling.  The design is timeless.  I test rode one before settling on the Breva with its more comfortable seating and riding position.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #144 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:14 pm
I love the V7. I think it is one of the best "new" bikes out there, as far as design goes.  really slick.  I've heard the Bonnie is a better ride with a little more power, but I'm quite partial to that V7 styling.  I think it is very fairly priced too.

Starting to put my DRZ back together after that crash even though I cannot ride yet.  Of course the wrong levers came in the mail, but the new handlebars, bar-ends, and mirrors look nice.  The right grip was glued to the throttle sleeve so I have to order that now too.

The low beam light does not work which is an easy swap but the horn won't sound. I see a little spark when I press the button but no sound.  I'll have to dig in.

I was really looking forward to posting about RIDING in this thread.

Prof - I love reading about how much fun you are having on that Guzzi!  Sound like that bike was good fit for you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:13:37 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: April 17, 2012, 11:57:15 am
I really like your Guzzi,proff.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:20 am
I love the V7. I think it is one of the best "new" bikes out there, as far as design goes.  really slick.  I've heard the Bonnie is a better ride with a little more power, but I'm quite partial to that V7 styling.  I think it is very fairly priced too.

Prof - I love reading about how much fun you are having on that Guzzi!  Sound like that bike was good fit for you.
It IS a good fit for me.  It's not much heavier than the C5.  The dealer is 4 miles away (a plus for my not-wanting-to-do-much-wrenching attitude) and sells more MG than anyone in the states.  I was cautioned by Kevin M to not be too much a David-Downer about my C5 experience (some members wrote to him about it), so I'll just say that I really, really, really wanted to ride and love the RE, but it was not to be.  That's all I have to say about that.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #147 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:05 am
 No worries mate. Most of us like just about everything with wheels and engine.
There are very few among us who are positioned to own and ride the variety of motorbikes we would like to and posts like yours let us enjoy other bikes vicariously.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:06 pm
The low beam light does not work which is an easy swap but the horn won't sound. I see a little spark when I press the button but no sound.  I'll have to dig in.

Are you aware that most horns have a screw to adjust them? Yours may have been tweaked to the right too far. The screw on the Enfield is a big white plastic knob that you need pliers to turn, but it makes a difference. Check your horn and see if you can find that elusive screw.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #149 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:27 pm
Are you aware that most horns have a screw to adjust them?

This is news to me.  I will definitely check it out... thanks!

No worries mate. Most of us like just about everything with wheels and engine.
There are very few among us who are positioned to own and ride the variety of motorbikes we would like to and posts like yours let us enjoy other bikes vicariously.

Ditto.  This thread is great. Love reading about good people's experiences with other machines.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM