Author Topic: 2023 Kawasaki KLR650 S review  (Read 1088 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 05, 2022, 03:39:26 pm
For this model, Kawasaki did the smart thing and dropped the height of the chassis to obtain a lower seat height of 32.1 inches, while retaining most of the features of the taller model, including its 6-gallon fuel tank. Plus, they kept the price of the bike very reasonable at around $7K +/-, as well as retaining such features as tube-type tires "facilitating roadside repairs" and a "large" single 300mm "round" font disc brake. The lowered seat height would certainly make this model a lot more interesting to me than the original version, that I could barely get my toes to touch the ground when sitting on the seat.
https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/2023-kawasaki-klr650-s-s-abs-first-look.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 05:01:56 pm
I bought a KLX250 in 2006 and never looked back. I was an amazing trail bike. After 10 years a bud of mine took it off my hands and still has it! Absolutely (ahem) Bulletproof.
 Yes the seat was tall, but it is necessary. Just do the thigh on the seat jump down. It even works on sportbikes.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:08 pm
The KLR has made a good budget adventure bike for years and they've sold a bunch of them. The dohickey was it's one downfall but I would think its been sorted at the factory by now?? I always favored the Suzuki DR 650 for that size dualsport as it is a bit more dirt oriented, I really think it comes down to how far back into the boonies you go in your travels, The KLR wins hands down for highway miles. It probably will attract even more customers with the lower seat height and still be dirt road and two track capable.

The Kawi that gets my interest right now as I entertain the idea of a small light weight trail bike is the KLX 300, it get lots of great reviews and like Cyrus said has a history of good reliability making it a front runner for me should I make that move.