Author Topic: False Neutrals  (Read 7448 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:54 pm
I was thinking viscosity of the oil as the cooler air would result in thicker oil. Today is a bit warmer. Got to go ride and check it out.

As for footwear, it hasn't changed. My shifting technique hasn't changed in 40 years of riding. That is, except for those automatic scooters I have owned. They never missed a shift. ;D

Could have been the switch from Repsol to Castrol. We'll see.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 07:10:22 pm
Only when my C5 is hot does shifting become less precise, and that is usually when I forget to downshift to neutral before coming to a stop.

I keep looking for that magical neutral finder, but it disappeared!   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:57 pm
Mine works very well, thank you. I miss a shift occasionally because my foot doesn't come up far enough, but then so would any other bike I've ridden. When I first got it I missed a lot of 3rd to 4th shifts, but either my technique has improved or the gearbox broke in. I suspect it was just my learning what the bike expected.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:01 pm
I suspect its British heritage was repulsed by the Spanish oil. Just did 50 miles of twisty 2-lane. Only two missed shifts. That is acceptable and a huge improvement. Probably something in that Castrol that it likes. Whether it is the clutch or gears, I don't know, but it is much happier now.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:32 am
I have a B5 and on my post titled been along time I didn't complain on "false nuturals" not because I don't get them I do but I know that they have been my fault. My 250 rebel I traded in with 20,000 miles (purchased new in 2006) had a tendacy for the rider to miss gears when shifting and my 1982 yamaha xj650 maxim and my 1974 honda cb550. I know it is me not the bikes but I actualy think the B5 is more forgiving. My xj650 would pop into nutural if I pulled to hard in first because I had a bad habit of getting on it and not shifting soon enough. I do have lots of experience at replacing a clutch. The little rebel was on its third one in the 20,000 miles I rode it. So far 1500 miles on my new B5 in less then a month since I owned it I honostly can't complain about the motor or clutch. Now I would recomend the B5 despite my uh issues I had. I can not make a connection between my starter and my exhaust pipe breaking. I have to believe it was coincedence or karma. Yes I was pretty upset but it would not be fair of me to say the B5 was troubled. I think my dealer was very good to me and has done a wonderful job helping me. I think if you got a B5 you would probably be like me and wonder why theu didn't make the uce engine a little sooner. 
Signature

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 10:58:26 pm
Only when my C5 is hot does shifting become less precise, and that is usually when I forget to downshift to neutral before coming to a stop.

Is it hard to find neutral when you're  stopped? If it is, your clutch is probably dragging a bit. Check your cable play.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 11:59:57 pm
If i dont get it to noootral before coming to a stop, my trick is to drag the clutch just barely to preload the transmission. I'm able then to clunk it around to newt-ral with ease. Elsewhere on the threads somewhere on the internets I read that holding the clutch in is bad news for the clutch, so I am always dropping my bike into new-trawl at any stop longer than a few seconds, and it gives me so time to stretch and gaze around at the surroundings, surf the web, make meaningless replys such as this on the forum while at a red light....  :p
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 06:09:56 pm
I was pretty concerned about all the false neutrals I was getting the first couple weeks I had my G5. But someone said it just takes some time getting used to, building a relationship and learning about the bike - weird mystic mojo type stuff that I of course thought was nonsense. But guess what? I haven't had a single false neutral at all in the past couple weeks (I've only had the bike like a month), and I attribute that to just riding it, and learning it, and building a relationship with it. So weird I know, but it's the way it's been for me!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:57 pm
I think that's the way it works for about all the Bullet owners. Once you get it figured out, then it's yours and you're stuck with it.  :-*

Elsewhere on the threads somewhere on the internets I read that holding the clutch in is bad news for the clutch, so I am always dropping my bike into new-trawl at any stop longer than a few seconds,

The bad news for the clutch when you stopped and not in neiut-ral is that the  pushrod from the actuator is dragging and doesn't have a throwout bearing to ride on, so the end is wearing down. And your clutch bearing is spinning and will wear out sooner. If it's in gear and rolling or in nootral and stopped the bearing isn't being used. On the same thing though, if you are having trouble finding newtral when you are stopped the clutch probably isn't releasing completely. Usually proper adjustment will fix that, but it could be a warped disk or uneven springs, or even a dragging clutch bearing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:40 pm
I've never had a bike that didn't have some play when trying to find neutral. My C5 at first confused me because I'd have to play around a bit to find neutral coming to a stop until I remembered that fact about my other rides. Now it doesn't bother me at all.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650