Author Topic: False Neutrals  (Read 7446 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 03:37:58 pm
It's mainly the mind getting in the way of things....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:38:01 pm
It's mainly the mind getting in the way of things....

There is much about these bike that are completely mystical. No one can be sure what causes some of the things happening or if those things are happening at all. This can be frustrating, charming and mysterious but never ordinary.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 05:01:09 pm
I have been reading the UCE threads a lot since i am considering a new B5. Is it just me or am i seeing an increase in complaints with these bikes? False neutrals,rattling motors etc. My Iron Barrel has the LH shift, Dr Seuss linkage, etc. I have never (2,800 mi) needed to adjust the clutch and only occasionally hit a false neutral. I would think that considering the really vast difference in the Unit construction design that this really shouldn't be an issue at this stage. So i am wondering, is quality slipping? Or is it that there are just more out there? Hence,more complaints.
Speaking of the B5, my local (25 mi away) dealer is no longer carrying Enfields. There are only two others in Michigan, both some distance away, and neither have a B5. I would really like to try before i buy, what's a Bulleteer to do? :( :( :(
Robert & REnfield in MI.
PS. If i get a B5 i would reluctantly be willing to sell REnfield. :o :(.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 06:07:22 pm
There could be more "complaints" as there are more bikes being sold. However it's the guys who aren't complaining that you are missing out on the forum. The people who own the bikes and are quite happy with them. And a lot of the "complaints" are guys who haven't figured out how to work their RE yet. I'm not sure that the posts are complaints, as much as just wanting reassurance that their bikes are OK.
I did have a couple of issues with mine when it was new. The headlight was extremely dim. I got a 7" light and it was still unsatisfactory. I started checking the lighting wiring and found the dimmer switch was improperly assembled. I reassembled it and the lights are great now. I had an issue with the side stand switch and the bike was occasionally cutting out. My mechanic at the shop found it and fixed in within a half hour. Any other problems  I've had with mine were self induced, and promptly fixed.
The bike is running great and I'm still loving it. I don't anticipate any more problems with it, and any minor niggles should be easy enough to fix. I have 3200 miles on mine and the only adjustment I've made on mine is the chain.
I really haven't had any more problems with it than some of the Oriental machines I have owned.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:14:52 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 06:13:16 pm
Exactly!  Most of what you see is problems seeking solutions.  There are only a few threads on cool things that require no repair ;)  I think the tone of some threads is colored by the fact that the UCE is supposed to be so much more maintenace free than the older bikes.  It is, but it's not totally maintenance free.  You still need to tighten some bolts occasionally and even the new bikes have their quirks when compared to modern Japanese machinery. 

Most of these things sort themselves out over time but if you don't ever want to turn a wrench maybe an RE isn't for you. If, like me, you need a connection to your machine and enjoy some usual maintenance and an occasional repair, boy have we got a bike for you!

Scott

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 09:08:31 pm
Don't get me wrong boys, i have an Iron Barrel, so i do turn a wrench. My concern is that some of the basic stuff is slipping through the cracks. If i bought a used UCE without a warranty,no problem, i have tools and CMW, but if i buy new and have issues it is a pain to go miles and miles to your nearest dealer. I have seen a lot of newbies voicing the same concern here of late. I really want a B5 but doubt is creeping in. :-\

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 09:39:48 pm
Roverman, if you want to look at my C5, we are only about 30 miles apart, sorry its not a B5 though.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:44 pm
Don't get me wrong boys, i have an Iron Barrel, so i do turn a wrench. My concern is that some of the basic stuff is slipping through the cracks. If i bought a used UCE without a warranty,no problem, i have tools and CMW, but if i buy new and have issues it is a pain to go miles and miles to your nearest dealer. I have seen a lot of newbies voicing the same concern here of late. I really want a B5 but doubt is creeping in. :-\

If your nearest dealer is a bit far just see if you can make an agreement.  If something goes funny under warranty, have him send you the parts so you can fix it yourself.  I'm sure if you want a con rod he'll want you to bring it by.  If it's something small I'm sure you can discuss on the phone and wait at the mailbox.

Having wrenched on an iron barrel I don't think there's much you couldn't fix on a UCE.  Also, if you know your way around a wrench many things newbies ask about won't even trouble you.  You should already be familiar with tightening nuts and bolts and the usual things a British single needs.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:42:57 pm by Ducati Scotty »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:00 pm
Back on topic. I was having false neutrals with increasing frequency. I know that correlation is not causation so I don't know if it is that the ambient temperatures have dropped lately, or the change of oil type and brand or just more miles are finally helping. Last ride there was only one false neutral. Haven't had a chance to get back to the dealer.Maybe I won't have to.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 06:14:59 am
I have read every warranty claim ever put in on a Royal Enfield in the US since the mid 1990's. One thing I can say with unwavering certainty is that warranty claims have plummeted with the advent of the UCE bikes. To be sure things can and do go wrong but the percentage of bikes with warranty claims attached to them (for any reason) is down to the point that I no longer need the number of tech people that we once did. Most of our tech calls relate to Iron Barrels.

A couple of other things I can say is that the bikes get better and quieter as they get miles on them, especially up to about 1,500 miles. They also shift better.

This part I hate to even bring up because no one wants to hear it but.......most shifting problems revolve around foot wear (boots are great only if you can actually feel what you are doing) and foot position. We have taken bike that customers and dealers have sworn would not shift correctly and put one of our demo riders on them. They have usually shifted perfectly. We then put the customer/dealer on a known to be flawless demo bike and find that they miss shifts.

There are exceptions to the rule and no one wants to think that their technique is perfect but....
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ES-335

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:14 am
I took sometimes the advantage of my sophisticated foot art with false neutrals when riding downhill  a road  ;D But what was rather unpleasant was that a couple of lower gears popped off after crossroads especially when escaping a timber truck. That happened every now and then even if I paid attention to shifting gears. After 12 000 kms.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 01:31:44 pm
Sorry, off topic again. Desi Bike,thanks for the offer,i might take you up on it.
Scotty, i totally agree with your comments. But like i said it's a shame that there isn't more dealer coverage in my area just in case of a Will type disaster. Just to reiterate, i love my Iron Barrel warts and all.
Kevin, thanks for your input, i totally agree with your footware comments.
Robert & REnfield in MI.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 02:21:25 pm
There are exceptions to the rule and no one wants to think that their technique is perfect but....

Flawed as the bike may be, iron barrel or UCE, I know I am moreso.  I tell everyone I work with, "If I've been messing with it and it doesn't work now it's probably something I did.  Suspect me first."  ;)

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 03:28:42 pm
With now 14' kms on the clock in 14 month, sometimes there are days when shifting just dosen't work. In this case one out of ten shifts dosen't hit. I mostly have the same boots and use only Motul 15W50.
I'm used to alter clutch play a little, but I think this has more a psychological effect.
I'm convinced, a gear box failure would show different signs. Maybe it's about temperature, but even more it's the level of focussing, methinks.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 05:49:44 pm
Funny that temperature gets mentioned, i had a couple of buggered up shifts the other day in the cool morning. Then again, it may be just have been my technique at the time. I am at odds to figure out what cool ambient temps would have to do with it, other that outer, air cooled portions get cooled more than the inner, oil heated bits and tolerances change?  Don't think it would be that..
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں