Author Topic: Cooked muffler  (Read 3262 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 25, 2011, 02:09:06 am
I have golden brown patch formed on my muffler directly below the brake lever on the drum and a few quite a few blue bits on my outlet pipe around the oxygen sensor. Has anyone tried Blue Job cleaner on their pipes? There is a local dealer to me that is a distributor, but i want to hear from the  real world users. Does it clean up the blues as they say?
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:52:08 am
Blue Away is the best product for removing blue and gold on the pipes. What you need to know is after you use it the blue WILL come back faster and bluer than before. I tried some on a non-blued section and it blued after! For just putting a shine on the pipe, I like Turtle Wax chrome polish and Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish for the engine side covers.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:44:58 am
A recent thread on the WildGuzzi forum had people saying that Blue Away and similar stuff all have abrasives which remove some of the plating.  Using a more gentle polish might have better results.

But it's hard to defeat the heat that the cat.converter is dealing with as it scrubs the exhaust toxic waste into a more green sustainable emission (I love to pile it on sometimes... ;)). 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:56:06 am
Blue Job is not the same as Blue Away, according to the man who makes Blue Job. There are a few videos on youtube of this product. I have not used it so cannot say how good it is. Reviews seem to be supporting the Blue Job.

For full details check out the link below, and at the end of the article there are comments by Jeff who makes Blue Job and explains the nature of his product.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/blue-job/blue-job-chrome-polish.htm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:03:10 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:24:46 am
IMO, blues and golds on a chrome exhaust pipe are signs of distinguishment.
A proud statement of having worked diligently for its owner.

As for removing the colors one should realize they are oxidation.   They are a part of the chrome and I'm guessing that the thickness of the chrome on a Royal Enfield is pretty thin.

Once the chrome is removed there is nothing between the mild steel pipe and the world so rusting should be expected.   :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:53 am
Doh'. Blue Job was the one I was thinking of. It is a powder that you add water to. Don't be so quick to blame the chrome or even the cat. The 1960s Harley muffler that I am running is doing the same thing. I think the high temps are a byproduct of the lean mixture.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:29:43 pm
Well, with my kids returning to school yesterday, I had some time on my hands while waiting for the school bus to return them.

I had picked up a container of Blue Job chrome cleaner a few days back at a custom bike shop. The cost was $10 so i wasn't too hurt by that. Having read about the stufff, and watched the videos on-line of people using it, I was prepaired fro how little of the powder one actually gets for the money.

Sitting down on my driveway, I re-read trhe meagre instructions and began to work on my gold and blue torpedo muffler. After a few minutes of spit shining with the included guaze pad, I was quite impressed at how well the stuff works. Cleaned the stuff off within minutes. Then I moved up to the head pipe around the oxygen sensor, it was quite a bit more blue than the torpedo sections.

There is a fair amount of rubbing involved, but it too cleaned up, but I didnt over do it, as I was running out of time for the bus to drop the kiddies off. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:25 pm
Pics?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:56:29 pm
     Any abrasive will eventually wear away the chrome. I try to discourage Blue Away for this reason. I've seen the results.
     This work best on a new pipe: Remove the pipe and fog the inside with aluminum paint. It creates a thermal barrier that minimizes bluing. With a used pipe you would need to run a flexible hone down the pipe as if you were honing a cylinder, then wash out the residue before fogging.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:37:22 pm by Vince »

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:20:13 pm
The stuff i used was "Blue Job" http://www.blue-job.com/   It is a very soft powder, somewhat like talc actually. In reviewing the MSDS on their website, it lists contents as being "Inert Oxide" ( Chromium Oxide I think I read elsewhere ) and "Juglans Regia" which is english walnut powder (!).

Had I been thinking Scotty, I would have taken a before and after picture, but I didn't. The plan was to just test out a little bit in an inconspicious area, then do the full thing if it worked. (with pictures) but I got carried away.  You see Scotty, grabbing a pipe and rubbing it in the fashion that was required, I got carried away, like many times before, such as I have since I was a young school boy.  :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:25:27 pm by Desi Bike »

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:14 pm
     At least you have strong wrists, so you can REALLY polish your pipe.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 01:54:09 am
 ::)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04:25 pm
Holy thread bump Batman... I was  sitting waiting for the kids to come off the school bus today, and hauled the bike out of its heated garage and had a go at the gold spots on the pipe that have formed in the last 9000km since my last report. I cleaned them up quite rapidly with the Blue Job stuff. Once I sat back and admired the job I had done I recalled that i had offered pictures a while back on this thread... I took off my heat shield and was greeted with a lovely plethora of blue hues... I  took a before and after shot of the torpedo which came out quite well with an old rag, ten minutes of rubbing, spit and Blue Job.  The ten minutes of rubbing a spit lubricated tube shaped item should be easy for most males over the age of 12....   Pics to follow (of the bike exhaust! ) once I have time at work.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:51 pm
Here are  the before and after pictures.

Blue Job amazes me.

The kids school bus came before I was able to get it all cleaned off so I shot a quick picture before I had to get them inside for dinner. I finished it off after they went to bed. Looks as good as new now even if it isnt seen as its under the heat shield, but wanted to show everyone how well this stuff works.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:29:02 pm
It shines so bright, you gotta wear shades  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 04:18:17 am
Nice work and amazing transformation but, um, why polish the spot under the heat shield?

Oh, and I love the look of the red against the black frame.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 03:38:42 pm
I pulled shield to see how well the polish would do on the blue under there. Basically playing around with it. I had used blue job in the past on the gold blue on the section of the torpedo at the back end and was quite impressed and wanted to see and show how well it does.