Author Topic: Mufflers again  (Read 2497 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 21, 2011, 03:22:30 pm
So, yesterday I looked down the end of my exhaust pipe (like a proctologist would  ;) ) and began to wonder if I were to run a drill bit in there and drill out a few more holes into the pipe that is in there would it be more free flowing?  Has anyone tried this? 

What is actually inside the stock torpedo? Has anyone cut one open? What is the flow direction?

Sorry to mention proctologist and drill bits to make for more flow in the same post.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:56:23 pm
As far as I know there are catalytic converters in there. You would be ruining a very expensive part of your bike, irreversibly.  Why not just fit something like the efi silencer, or the Goldstar. Free flowing but noisy - but you get more power. It's a trade off.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:19:20 pm
Hello Desi,
       Being a proctologist is not what it's cracked up to be ! I would go with the EFI muffler. I've had stock, megaphone, and now the EFI, and it's definitely my favorite.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:08 pm
I did something like this on a Kawasaki I had.  I removed the last baffle, it was basically a screen.

This would work to get less back pressure and more noise but as mentioned you'd be ruining a very expensive piece to replace, you'd get unpredictable results, and you might break something loose and make the muffler inside rattle, ruining it for any use.  On the other hand, any Harley aftermarket muffler with a 1 3/4" opening can ba put on with a small shim to take up the difference.  Check the EFI muffler here, JC Whitney, and any Harley site for options.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:43 pm
I drilled out the end bits on an old Suz that I had, just to free up the flow a bit. The noise wasnt much louder. I did have to widen the holes a bit after the first try as it whistled as it worked.

I like the look of the torpedo, and dont want lots of noise as I like the sound now.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:25:21 pm
Don't  bung up a $600  muffler. You may need it someday! :o
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:04 pm
... or see if you can buy a stock torpedo from someone here.  Mess with one and keep the second as s spare.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:17 pm
I don't think you'll really gain anything with more flow. I think that the gains in flow increase with more revs and these engines aren't revving that fast. I put the efi muffler on and it's very free flowing but the gains were in the weight savings and perception of speed due to increased noise!

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:21 am
I figured as much. The low speed, just on the border of lugging the engine, putt putt sounds are nice. I have to admit that the only RE I have heard running was my own as Christian, the dealers grunt worker, took mine out for a test run after we rolled it off the crate bottom. The whump whump whump as a pedestrian during a drive by is nice, but as the one straddling the whump whump.... I hear the valves before the exhaust, sounds like straddling a sewing machine.. Ah well was hoping for a mod that would satisfy my thumpa thumpa  desire and also the local others.

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:04 pm
We used to "punch" the internal baffles out of HD stock mufflers and you certainly got more noise> PArt of the problem is you yourself really cant hear how GD loud it is to people aside and behind you.

In terms of performance - more air out only really increases perfomance with MORE AIR In through your aircleaner and throttle body with a remap to get a little more fuel as well.
Dr B

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:38:06 pm
I fitted the Goldie to my G5 last year and the difference in performance was immediately noticeable - not enormous, but definite. Earlier this year I got fed up with the noise of it, it's very fatiguing on a long run, and I refitted the stock exhaust. Sounds lovely, but also feels slightly held back when the throttle's opened. Now that I'm used to it again with the stock pipe, I put the Goldie back on recently, just to see, and no doubt about it, it's perkier and noticeably so. With or without earplugs!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:26:20 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 11:47:18 pm
I've been hearing a little pinking type noise out of my bike for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Sounded a bit like detonation, but not quite. I started thinking about the exhaust and perhaps it was leading around the head joint. The nuts were a little loose, so I tightened them, no change. I went out for a short ride today and could still hear the noise but I had a different helmet on and I could hear the noise coming from the rear of the bike. I had put on a new EFI about when this started and dammed if it isn't trying to chirp like a Goldie! The old one didn't do that. Gotta figure out how to get a it more chirp out of it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com