Author Topic: My Weeble's Wobble  (Read 12545 times)

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
on: August 21, 2011, 12:33:42 am
Well haven't had anymore problems lately with Weeble cutting out but he still has his wobble above much over 60mph. But heres what iv'e learned while rideing if i lean down over the tank the wobble pretty much ceases or if press down hard on the foot pegs while pulling back on the bars it ceases to wobble so i think it must just have a weak frame structure.if i'd have known before what i've learned through rideing the RE. i'd have spent my $7k elsewhere.they really need to get on top of there quality control before the word spreads to far in the USA.and the back order of most accessories when ordered with no idea of when the part will become available is somewhat of a joke.seems they catalog an item to feel out the market then go into production.my wifes china built scooter is more stable at 60+mph.but i plan to keep rideing Weeble and hope a cure is found. bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:53:42 am
Mine had a wooble problem over 110km/h, I did nothing to fix it, now its stable up to 135 km/h. Maybe the headstock loosedned up as I broke it in? Who knows.  3000 km on the clock this month so far, still having fun.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:55:14 am
Lower your tyre pressure to no more than 18-20 lbs in the front and 24 in the rear. This is unrelated to your frame. You can also try adjusting your shocks.You will find that this make a huge difference. Lastly take it back to your dealer and have them check the steering head bearing pre-load (last resort)
 I can assure you that you will never bend the frame regardless of what you do short of T-Boning a car.  The C5 is very quick handling. If you are not used to that type of handling it can be a bit disconcerting. By quick I mean that any input you give it causes a reaction. It is very neutral which means it goes where you give it input to go.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:21 am
PS - As I re-read your post I realized that the other thing you are doing is shifting weight. This again had nothing to do with the frame as such. The C5 has three degrees less rake in the fork than the the other bikes. This was done to make it very quick handling. If you ride this bike in the twisties and turnies you can get a lot more out of it for this reason. You can also try shifting the weight of the bike by moving the handlebars or even trying different set. No bike setup is perfect for everyone individual.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:48:48 am
Thanks for the response Kevin i did lower my tire psi. to those numbers awhile back it helped a little but didn't aliveate the problem . I understand what your saying about the steering geometry as I've had a Buell 1200 Ulysses when they first came out it was quick handling also but i never had a problem I've owned an rode a hell of a lot of bikes in my life and only one that ever acted similar was an old Kawasaki i once owned. but I'll stick with it and see what i can figure out.or watch this forum for more updates.
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:19:24 am
If you didn't live in East Nowhere Wyoming, I would let you ride mine. It is rock solid up to terminal velocity. Sometimes if my elbows are out and my jacket sleeves start flapping in the wind it will induce a bit of head shake. I still wonder if your bike is properly setup. Wheel alignment, steering head bearings, even the position of the fenders has caused some issues.

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:39:45 am
no it's west nowhere Wyoming ::)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:21 am
The C5 is the only bike from the RE which has this inherent problem of instability. And for me its very scary.

Its not a race bike but a cruiser, which should not require such fine tuning to be stable.

Whatever changes RE made to its setup geometry, to make it nimble and blah blah, has gone wrong terribly.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:30:36 am
Yep, I wish the B5 had been available when I thought about buying a RE. 

But my C5 looks nicer and up to 60 mph is rock steady.  But above that it's not very fun to ride.  It's the only motorcycle I've ever had that is squirrelly at high speed.  Jeez, my Buell Blast thumper was rock sold steady at its top speed of 90mph. 

Notice the ads of enfieldmotorcycles.com for the B5 and G5 say "better high speed stability" or something like that while the C5 doesn't.  That means something, doesn't it?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:50 am
If you're not happy with the C5 ride you might want to try some different tires. Others have had luck with a more classically profiled 3.5 inch in front with matching rear.  You've got a world of choices on the 18" rims.
 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10819.0.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:41:27 am by jartist »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:44:28 pm
Bittercreek,
I have ordered some K70s for the Olde J-3. I don't like that straight cut tread the front Avons have, the look or the behaviour. That has contributed to some strange happenings, which even include the slide into the ditch. My bike will start to weave a bit especially above 80, which I obvious don't make a habit of doing, but knowing the potential is there is enough.
Just sticking to the stock sizes.
I should have them on in a week or so.  I'll let you know how they work out for me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:38 pm
Thanks Bare I'll be anxious to hear the outcome.I only wished they'd have sorted this out before it left the factory. So the new owners didn't to incur this expense ,guess they couldn't find the time needed for a road test .bittercrick

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:03:52 am
Bitter, the stock tires on the C5 are great. I think you should be looking elsewhere for your stability problems. If you do decide to swap tires, let me know. I would be interested in your Avons. There is nothing wrong with the C5 design but anything built by hand can be put together incorrectly. I would get it in to the dealer before swapping anything.

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 03:42:06 am
Was just out in the shop checking everything on Weeble agin and as a last try I stood in front of the bike with the front tire between my ankles and calfs I sqeezed tight and reached up and took hold of the grips and pulled them right and left and the forks twist a bunch so I think I found the problem .I then tried the same on my 06 T100 and theres no give at all.And as I found earlier on theres no good way that I can see to install a fork brace.  :-\   bittercrick
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:44:21 am by bittercrick »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:23 am
It shouldn't do that with or without a brace. I'd take the front end apart and put it back together. Not too hard to do with ducati scottys tutorial. Or take it to the dealer.