Author Topic: An alarming knocking  (Read 9336 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 09:38:15 am
Kevin, I appreciate your response. Vince too.

Never my intention to upset or disrespect anyone here. I knew I was a bit close to the wire with this thread - not to provoke but to inform. It's a forum after all.
That said, I probably should have let matters lie for a day or two and come at it from a more positive angle. Or perhaps just not posted at all - God knows this saga is boring the backside off me, and probably others are sick of hearing about it too.  Others I know are curious to know the final outcome.
Even so, I held back and edited significantly - right up until I said "f***k em".

You will find on this forum mostly very positive reports about my bike. It got me back into motorbiking after a very long absence and I took to it like an addict. I love the look of it, I love the sound of it, and now that I've tried a few other bikes, and even bought another, I am more than ever aware of the unique pleasure of the Bullet ride.  I know I''m going to miss it a lot. To tell the truth, when the bike is repaired I'm half hoping my heart is going to override my brain again and give it another chance, if just as a not-quite-to-be-trusted Sunday & evening hacker.

Currently the brain has the upper hand. Currently I have a beautifully made & reliable 650 twin in the garage. At least as beautiful to the eye as the Enfield, and rides like a true Brit! There simply isn’t any sensible contest any more about which would be the one to keep if it comes to it.

I’m not going to list again the issues I’ve had with my G5, right from very soon after I got it, from nuisance "quirks" to downright dangerous. I couldn't have known back then that I'd bought the friday bike. Thankfully I was piling on the miles and all these problems were arising within the first year of warranty. I had nothing but praise for the dealership, who were new to motorbikes and keen to make the effort for one of their first customers. I stopped having any faith in their mechanic more recently for the reason already described.
I had enormous respect for Watsonian Squire, who provided new parts under warranty, and who went beyond the call of duty by collecting my bike two weeks into the second year of warranty, as alarmed as I was by the racket it was making and the metal falling out of the sump.

But now I’m all too aware that I have become the problem customer, the pain in the arse who’s apparently imagining things wrong with his bike. It’s an uncomfortable feeling of course – they did me a huge favour - except that they didn’t!  So I’ll deal with the problem myself and hope that they’ll provide any necessary parts under warranty.

I hear what Kevin & Vince say about their experience of RE. I’m sure great improvements have been made in manufacture.   My experience has been as reported on this forum – delight and satisfaction constantly chipped away at by unreliable components and slapdash manufacturing standards. Sad but true.

There is no excuse whatsoever for my emails being ignored by WS. I run a business, albeit small, and if I dealt with difficult questions, however they arrive, by just ignoring them I’d be out of business, and rightly so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:20:21 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 04:12:59 pm
  Will, I don't think anyone could blame you for your present decision. For the past year or more, you have been nothing but patient, positive and enthusiastic about your bike. Certainly beyond what the average person would bear. It does show your dedication to a resolution on your part.
 I agree, emails in this day and age are as important as phone calls.Not to be ignored.They may be another PIA for a Business to deal with, where time has to be set aside, but the fact is, that is how people communicate now. I think it also shows how you were courteous enough to send an email, so they could contact you back at their convenience. Where a mutually convenient phone conversation could be agreed upon. To discuss in detail the complex problems you have been having. Your time is as important as theirs. I think you have gone above and beyond.

Good Luck Will, I hope you stick with it, your a good Egg ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 04:32:36 pm
You're very kind GHG, thank you.
Hopefully the resolution is not too far off. I'm hoping to get the bike over to the RE mechanic this week at least for him to have a listen to, and hopefully he'll be willing to have a ride on it to determine what this new knock may be.....
I'm not wanting to fall out with Watsonian - I may be needing warranty parts - so I'm keeping quiet until I know something definite.
It's all a bloody shame after such an enthusiastic return to motorbiking last year. But it was the Bullet which got me back into it, and I'll always be grateful for that whether it goes or stays......

meanwhile, the sun's out and there's that hooligan 650 waiting for me  8) ;)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 06:41:12 pm
WillW,

Have you called Watsonian?  You've mentioned them not responding to your emails, but have you followed up an email with a phone call?  Sometimes the timeliness of an email response is based a lot on number of people working for them how those people are allocated through the shop.  Also, keep in mind human error in the fact that maybe when they built their website or got their cards with their phone number and email address on it the email address was fat fingered at the company that made them and no one caught it.  Could be that your emails are going into so dude's spam folder without anyone seeing it because of that.

Another option is to start wrenching on your bike yourself.  Get the manuals and get the parts and proper tools do all your own maintenance and repair.  I pull all my own maintenance and repair and services on my two vintage Volkswagens.  And once my warranty is up on the bike I will be pulling all of the services/maintenance and repairs will be done by me unless it requires machining etc.  Just something to think about.

I hope that you can get things sorted out with the new mechanic you found while at that rally.  I hope you can get back to being happy with your Enfield!!

~JP
Ton Up!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 07:11:58 pm
I hear what you say Chief, but Watsonian's email system is fine - we've had several back & forth communications in the past. I emailed them the photo of the metal bits, and the link to the YouTube clip of the engine noise. There were no problems then. Several previous enquiries re exhausts & such too were answered by email.

I considered doing the work myself, and still haven't dismissed the idea. I have most of the tools but would have to buy or borrow some of the special tools required for that level of dismantling. But while the bike's under warranty, I'd rather have the work done by a competent pro, this hopefully will avoid any possible dispute over whatever new parts might be needed under warranty. Unfortunately it'll cost me the labour and probably VAT on top unless I can do a cash deal. I've got a pile of stuff to put on ebay which I hope will help.....

Long long time since I had an engine apart. I used to do a lot of it, mostly cars - simple stuff, basic 4 cylinder MG engines mostly. These days, now I'm acclimatised back to the bikes, I do get tempted to take on a winter project - some old Brit horror machine needing resurrection perhaps. I have the great good fortune to live alone, apart from Mr Benson the murderous cat, and if I want to have bits of motorbike all over the house, I can have bits of motorbike all over the house..... ;)
But I'm old and I ache. Can I really be arsed...? That's why I bought a UCE after all....... ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:18:13 pm by WillW »

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 07:12:44 pm
Will, in your case I´d print your 1175 posts and send them to Watsonian - if this doesn´t help... ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:07 pm
 :D :D  Dammit  -  you may be on to something.....   :D

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 11:33:01 pm
Maybe there needs to be a section in the forum for all the foreign guys who are having issues so there can be a detailed history of problems that is documented so we can then pass these on to Royal Enfield and maybe they can address these issues with those distributors/importers that seem to be giving their customers a hassle.  Just a thought...
Ton Up!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:33 pm
You are in a tough spot when it comes to deciding whether to work on it or not. I do not understand why the UK wararnty does not include labor for the second year. I pay so few claims (especially after the first 30 days of ownership) I can 't imagine that it is a big deal.

Nonetheless I guess that is what it is. I would NOT work on it myself while it is under warranty. You paid for a two year warranty and should use it. You may be a problem customer (only using your words I don't know you), but that doesn't make your problem any less real. I would still suggest picking up the phone.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 07:44:18 pm
I'd second Kevin't suggestion.  Call up and be both super polite and persistent.  Worst case, they refuse and you're where you are now with just some time on the phone wasted.  Best case, they hear your sincere plea and agree to help.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:27 pm
AND --- as I discovered when I got the e-mail and address/phone number of the CEO of General Motors in the US - persistance will pay off. I had a warranty problem with a corvette and then they couldnt find a part ANYWHERE in  North America.

I wrote a very restrained e-mail and called his executive assistant saying it was coming.  After they fixed the problem one of the Vice presidents from CAnada called and offered me a 3 year , General motors extended warranty worth $1600

Not bad for  a message to the highest ranking individual you can contact,

Dont send to the "reply to" email - find out the president of the companys personal internal address and send it to him. Often they are posted on the website somewhere but IF NOT - they are all in the same format - First name.last name @ whatever dot com.
Dr B

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 09:44:28 pm
Will:

I certainly hope that the noise of your bike is carefully looked at by the dealer because from the video it is clear that this noise was not there earlier. I can understand your frustration that it is not getting resolved.

Are you going to take it to the local mechanic (second local) who has worked with RE / Triumphs for many years ? Did you open the tappet door and fidgeted the parts to get a feeling for what may be happening ?

The hydraulic lifters cannot be removed until the engine is taken apart and you would rather have a professional do that. Best wishes finding a good mechanic. And when it is all done and fixed, I want you to turn 180 degrees again and keep a silly RE grin on your face  ;).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:05 pm
Drbvac  -  it's a good trick. I've used it myself with good results.

Singh  -  Sooner or later and one way or another I'll have this resolved. I almost got the grin back today briefly, by using earplugs and a good dose of denial  ;)

However, what this situation boils down to is that Watsonian apparently don't consider the racket from my engine to be a problem. If my bike was a thirty year old banger I probably wouldn't be quite so picky about it either, but it isn't. I went out today on a fifty mile ride and tried again to just learn to live with it. The bike runs as well as it ever did, and I told myself it's me that's obsessional. I know it's a fairly primitive style of motor, big single - they're all a bit noisy. It's done 8000 miles so there's going to be a bit of wear & tear. Keep wearing the earplugs and forget it.
This ploy will work to a certain extent of course, and an enjoyable ride can be had.
It may go on and on - we've all heard stories of clapped out old scrappers which ran for 20,000 miles held together with glue and faith.
But it all misses the point. Something is wrong inside an engine, any engine, which  suddenly starts making this much racket. It needs fixing. I will get it fixed.
Far too much said about this already. Let's end this thread here. :-X

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 11:47:45 pm
Didn't the late Scooterbob mention one time about piston slap in the UCE after the motor gets a bunch of miles on it?  Could this be what you might be hearing?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 11:55:09 pm
+1 to the advice to go as high as possible.

Unfortunately when you are low in the chain of command its far safer in terms of your job security to say NO when in doubt and stick strictly to the book even when its obvious the rules should be bent in the interests of fairness and good customer relationships.

The higher you go the more leeway people have to make exceptions.