Author Topic: Crush washer  (Read 1313 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: August 22, 2011, 10:00:00 pm
Hey guys, did all the fluids on my 07 bullet and i am getting a leak from the level plug on the side of the transmission case. I took the bolt out and put thread sealer on the bolt but its still leaking. I am assuming the copper washer is just not good anymore. Can i get one of those at an auto place or do i have to do CMW? Any other suggestions? Thanks

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:02 pm
You can use a crush washer, fiber washer, aluminum washer or copper washer. Go the the Auto Parts and get one that fits.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:55:08 am
K thanks. I think even my Menards has the fiber ones. Maybe i can even use a "bonded washer" where its got a nice rubber gasket attached to the back of the washer. If there are no clearance issues that might work. Ill look in to it.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:01 pm

If you can remove the original copper washer, you can anneal it and restore its softness and ability to seal.  Hold the washer on a hooked piece of wire and put the washer into a gas flame until it turns a cherry red colour.  Then immediately drop it into cold water.  Then re-use it.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:22:17 am
If you can remove the original copper washer, you can anneal it and restore its softness and ability to seal.  Hold the washer on a hooked piece of wire and put the washer into a gas flame until it turns a cherry red colour.  Then immediately drop it into cold water.  Then re-use it.

Tom

Thanks.  I went out earlier and pulled the washer to inspect and it was kinda twisted looking so i figured i would put it on the flat part of the vice and tap it with a hammer to straighten it. Damn copper is soft! It straightened alright but it flattened it like a pancake after lol. Didn't see anything at Menards that would work so tomorrow i will try the auto stores. If i have no luck ill order from CMW with some other goodies to make it worth the order. Ill probably just get a couple to have. Ah well.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:05:25 pm
the copper washers should be soft. It lets them conform to irregularities in the mating surfaces. In fact, when you want to reuse them they should be heated to redhot, then quenched in water.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com