Author Topic: Missed shifts? The SOLUTION!  (Read 11448 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: August 19, 2011, 09:35:04 pm
As most of you know, my engine was replaced about 1200 miles ago. When I rode with the new engine there were some missed shifts. I attributed them to the newness of the trans as my original one did it a few times too when it was new. It seems to be doing it more than ever. Only in 3rd and 4th. The others are perfect. It seemed to get worse when I switched to full synth oil so yesterday I changed back to semi-synth. I have tried adjusting the clutch cable for more and less slack. Nothing. Any ideas?

I do know how to shift gears. I have been doing it for over 40 years. I tried the pre-load the shifter technique discussed here. I even tried shifting without the clutch with similar results.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:16:20 am by olhogrider »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:01 pm
Have you adjusted the shifter lever itself?  If it's too high it can often make for missed upshifts.  And are you always riding with the same footwear?  If you switch around it can make a difference.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:22 am
I'm convinced my transmission is rigged to some chi energy thing in the universe.  Some days I never get a missed shift and other days I'm a mess on the shifter.  Since you didn't have that problem on the old engine its probably not your technique but here goes anyway: I found best results when I shift to leave my foot in the up when shifting up when I let the clutch out and same for down shifting- leave the shifter down with pressure on the lever and release the clutch, then let go of the shifter when the clutch is all the way out. I got that from one of the other posts and it works well for me after I got used to how weird it felt.  Another thing to add is that my transmission shifts way better than when it was new but didn't really break in until I had 2000 miles on it and now that I think of it I have only had two missed shifts in the last 500 miles.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:55:14 am
Some days mine is smooth as silk and other days I seem to get some half shifts in the upper gears and it needs a little more persuasion.  Nothing a strong shift won't fix for me. I chaulk it up to the bike's 'character'.

Scott

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:22:25 am
I miss a shift sometimes, its usually 3rd or 4th gear, I just figured its probably me  being a little lazy on the shift.

I can't decide if you have problems because you just ride the shit out of your bike or you are just a little unlucky.  Maybe a little of both.

Best of luck to you olhogrider   ;)

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:44:43 am
Thanks. Here's an even weirder part. Sometimes when it misses a downshift and gets a false neutral, I upshift into the lower gear! Yep, I'm trying to go back to the gear I just left and it shifts the other way. It makes no difference if I am rough or gentle. The only thing that makes upshifts more reliable is if i really wind it out in the lower gear first. I'll give it a few more miles before I give up.

I really don't think footwear is going to make a difference in only two gears and in both upshifts and downshifts, but in any case I usually wear the same boots.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:09:22 pm
This is a transmission problem and needs to be looked at and corrected. No two ways about it.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 04:20:10 pm
Here's an even weirder part. Sometimes when it misses a downshift and gets a false neutral, I upshift into the lower gear! Yep, I'm trying to go back to the gear I just left and it shifts the other way.

What has happened is that you have actually passed the gear you wanted and dropped into the false neutral between the lower two gears. If you were shifting down to third from fourth, you actually overshot third into the gap between second and third, so when you shifted you went back to third.
Looking at the "Service Manual," there are grooves that are for a stop plunger that would keep the cam plate from rotating past the gear detents, but I can't see any plunger in there. Can't say I'm going to tear my engine down to check it out, but the design without it looks a bit flaky.
It looks like the little hook thingy that shifts the gears is supposed to hold it in gear, too. If that spring gets a bit weak, it could cause these shifting difficulties.
It looks like you need to ease up on how hard you are shifting, but I, too, catch one in the middle occasionally. It's gotten better as the miles go on, but maybe it's just we who are getting broken in!
Bare
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:23:20 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:25 pm
Most people I know with systemic shifting issues like this, it's either a spring that needs to be replaced or a minor adjustment.  I agree, get to the shop and ask them to take a look.

Scott

street

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:48 pm
I have a new G5 with 1600km.
Did 3 oil changes before 1200km and had been using Castrol 4T 20w50 (dino oil).

Switched to Motul 5100 15W50 at 1200km and now missed shifts galore.
Sounds very much like your missed shifts including the shifting up and get a lower gear after getting neutral from 5th.

Been riding over 20 years.
Never missed a single shift on the G5 before switching to the semi-synth Motul.

Might be my imagination but feels like the bike ran better, in general, with the Castrol 4T.

-----------
Just did 200km and although rough and missed shifts for about the first 30km, then like a switch went on and the bike was running better than ever.
Go figure...........must have heard me talking about her.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:38:49 am by street »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:05:49 am
Switched to Motul 5100 15W50 at 1200km and now missed shifts galore.

Might be my imagination but feels like the bike ran better, in general, with the Castrol 4T.
-----------
Just did 200km and although rough and missed shifts for about the first 30km, then like a switch went on and the bike was running better than ever.
Go figure...........must have heard me talking about her.

@Street:

Welcome to the Forum.  

Motul 15W-50 is pretty good oil and I use that in my G5 that has over 17,000 miles on it and no problem with clutch / gear shift misses.  

When you switch to a different oil, sometimes clutch needs very slight readjustment. Even half-a-turn of the adjusting nut can make a difference. Also as the bike puts on more miles (you wrote km - so that means you are not in USA), these gears shift better with fewer and fewer misses.  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

street

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:35 am
@Street:

Welcome to the Forum.  

Motul 15W-50 is pretty good oil and I use that in my G5 that has over 17,000 miles on it and no problem with clutch / gear shift misses.  

When you switch to a different oil, sometimes clutch needs very slight readjustment. Even half-a-turn of the adjusting nut can make a difference. Also as the bike puts on more miles (you wrote km - so that means you are not in USA), these gears shift better with fewer and fewer misses.  

Hi and thanks Singhg5.
After writing my post I went for a ride and did about 200km (120miles).
I had to add a comment because the bike is now running better than ever and shifting is smoother than ever.
It was really as I mentioned, almost like a switch was flipped.

FYI, I went with the Motul because it's very close to the spec in the manual and saw in another post that you also used it.
I've also enjoyed your various posts, tutorials and videos.
They were very helpful and part of my decision making process to buy the bike.
Thanks for taking the time to make them.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:55 am
Following one poster's advice from a Brit forum, I took a look at the clutch. The rod has no adjustment, it just spins on a bearing. I guess the procedure was for pre-UCE bikes. Anyway I am going to bring the cable freeplay down to zero. If that doesn't do it I will see what the Harley dealer will give me in trade.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03:05 am
Following one poster's advice from a Brit forum, I took a look at the clutch. The rod has no adjustment, it just spins on a bearing. I guess the procedure was for pre-UCE bikes. Anyway I am going to bring the cable freeplay down to zero. If that doesn't do it I will see what the Harley dealer will give me in trade.
Oh my, sounds like its time for a change!  When I bought the Guzzi Breva the shop wouldn't touch the Enfield (Royal Cornfield he called it).  Three weeks on Craigslist got one nibble.  So I have 2 bikes and that's fine for me for now.  You know you're better off unloading the bike for $3.5 to $4k than trading it in.  What HD model are you looking at?

But I hope you don't have to resort to selling the RE.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 02:55:43 pm

If it is any comfort yours shifts much better than mine which is a 'technically correct' right side shift bike.