Author Topic: New Black Classic with the AVL engine received  (Read 8260 times)

esjones

• Scooter
on: March 21, 2008, 11:36:21 am
I am the RE mechanic at a Maryland dealership and have been for the last three years. We just received a new Classic with the AVL engine for a customer and doing setup yesterday I was impressed with the overall looks of the machine. The cylinder barrel is painted black and the fork lock is the Electra type (same as the ignition key) so it's one less key to lose. The air filter, a large paper element, is located in the right toolbox with a pass-thru pipe from the original bullet air cleaner can. So you lose some storage but get a good air filter.The AVL's chaincase looks much better on the classic than the previous types and it's shape mates the gas tank well.
The overall appearance of the bike is great. In our experience the AVL engine has also required less maint. 
Going for a test ride this morning (I love my job  :).

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19:03 pm
I am the RE mechanic at a Maryland dealership and have been for the last three years. We just received a new Classic with the AVL engine for a customer and doing setup yesterday I was impressed with the overall looks of the machine. The cylinder barrel is painted black and the fork lock is the Electra type (same as the ignition key) so it's one less key to lose. The air filter, a large paper element, is located in the right toolbox with a pass-thru pipe from the original bullet air cleaner can. So you lose some storage but get a good air filter.The AVL's chaincase looks much better on the classic than the previous types and it's shape mates the gas tank well.
The overall appearance of the bike is great. In our experience the AVL engine has also required less maint. 

Pix, we need pix!

I definitely prefer the rounded shape of the primary on the AVLs over the Classics.

So, since my Electra X seems to have vestigial mounting tabs (where the sausage cases are located), I wonder if I can bolt on the sidecovers/toolbox/battery covers from this new model right onto my Electra X frame....

Matt
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:22:01 pm by Thumper »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:59:26 pm
  I don't understand the point of the air filter in the tool box.  Is the air box just sitting there empty or what is its purpose?
  A mechanic that loves his job is the one I want working on my bike.

The air filter, a large paper element, is located in the right toolbox with a pass-thru pipe from the original bullet air cleaner can. So you lose some storage but get a good air filter.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:59:59 pm

[/quote]

Pix, we need pix!

I definitely prefer the rounded shape of the primary on the AVLs over the Classics.

[/quote] We definately need pix. I myself don't mind the AVL side cover, but prefer the single center bolt for fast and easy removal of the ironhead primary cover.  Black, with gold pin stripes, I hope.  That would be real classy!!!!   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:58:49 pm
We here at CMW had a photographer in to take some shots of the AVL Classic in black with tan solo seat and pedestrian slicer. They shoiuld be up on the www.classicmotorworks.com site soon.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

esjones

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 02:39:56 pm
To respond to Leonard, the air filter in the right toolbox appears to be the stock Electra paper filter which would not fit in the old Bullet airbox. It is a much more effective filter than the "hospital bandage" stock Bullet filter.
I like the fact that they did their best to keep the traditional appearance of the bike - combines the best elements of the old Bullet and the Electra in one unit. You really need to do a "double-take" to notice it's the new engine. The primary side chaincase looks a LOT better than the ES bullet which I though looked kind of klunky. The speedometer and ammeter also have a quality appearance to them (grey and black faces) and you can actually see the neutral lite in daylight now.
Test drive - the bike started easy and ran well, as most do if tuned in correctly. We received two new units, a Classic Black and a military. Only exceptions noted were both units had the carb cable adjuster locknuts at the carb cable end loose. Almost every Electra I have prepared are the same way as received but is easily corrected. Out of crate quality has improved significantly from what I can see. I will try to post some pictures before these go down the road. One is sold already.... :)

esjones

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:51:07 pm
So, since my Electra X seems to have vestigial mounting tabs (where the sausage cases are located), I wonder if I can bolt on the sidecovers/toolbox/battery covers from this new model right onto my Electra X frame....

Matt
[/quote]

Hi Matt, the "new model" toolboxes appear to be identical in shape and mounting to the old Bullet - so should work on yours. The new right toolbox does have the hole/fitings for the round air filter though.... 8)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:08:52 pm
You sound like the guy to ask... I posted a question about the centerstand hanging way down on my 08 Classic with the AVL. Is that normal? Mine points down at nearly a 45 degree angle and drags in the curves.

My Dad always said, "If you love what you do, you won't work a day in your life." Congrats on having a job you love!
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:50:25 pm
Here is a picture of the Lean-Burn Classic that we took a couple of weeks ago.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

prof_stack

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:42 am
Now THAT'S a great looking RE!

Thanks for the temptation... ;)

Adrian

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 07:53:38 am
Kevin,

now THAT is (almost) exactly what the Electra-X should have looked like from day 1.  8). If you have some way of sending a DL version of one of those (red tank and black saddle please) back in time three years as well as shipping it over the pond, we need to talk!

It's a shame that the UK and European importers didn't offer something like this. The cult of the sausage box must have been well entrenched...

Regards,

Adrian

esjones

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:44 pm
Hi Ridgerunner, in response to your question:
You sound like the guy to ask... I posted a question about the centerstand hanging way down on my 08 Classic with the AVL. Is that normal? Mine points down at nearly a 45 degree angle and drags in the curves.

If your center stand seems to dangle too low try removing the rubber pad on its upstop. You want to keep the stand from contacting the muffler in the rest position or it will make a racket riding down the road....Earle

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:49:26 pm
After removing my thick rubber stop, I replaced it with a piece of much thinner (inner tube) rubber and use double sided tape to hold it in place.
This stops the metal to metal contact and associated clanking noise whenever you go over any large bumps.

Ric
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 01:24:16 pm

A question. Can you elaborate on the air intake design? I am interested in a 2008 Deluxe, but the way you describe this design makes no sense to me. Are you saying that there is no airbox, (I have not seen an 08 Deluxe AVL - if anyone has a pic, please post it), that air is drawn through the closed right-side tool box? To me, not only does that sound horribly restrictive, but if you converted to a K&N, would you be left with a hole in your toolbox?

I'm confused and praying that it's not how I imagine.

Thanks!

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 05:46:11 pm
Thanks Earle
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)