Author Topic: Slight sense of surging when cold  (Read 1199 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: August 19, 2011, 09:38:17 am
Ennie seems to run so nicely now I hate to say anything "off" about her.. But in the first 15 minutes of running she seems to surge a little, almost like hobby-horsing or riding over expansion strips on a concrete highway (only there aren't any). Its very subtle.

She starts well, though a swift hard kick works better than a half-hearted stab (she'll  cough back through the carb with a wispy cloud)

Her valves are set hot so that when she's warmed up you can just hear them a tappin'. When I set them cold they sound like Arliss the Spoon Man. Compression is good, I can stand on the kickstarter and my almost 200# will slowly overcome the internal pressure.

She pulls and pulls and sounds smooth and even. The electronic ignition has dona away with the snarl from unspent gas ( tho' I rather miss that sharp bark).

Is it nothing or does something warrant my attention?
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:49 am
Do a Plug chop, I bet it will have black "sooty" and perhaps a bit wet looking electrodes,  Sounds like "Ennie"s running  a bit rich.  ; -})
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:48:50 pm
Are you running any performance mods at all? Did it just start doing it? If its always been like this i bet its a carb tune thing but i would say its on the lean side since its ok after warming up. If it was rich it would probably get worse once the engine got hot. Check your plugs and see what you find. I bought my 07 used with the intake and exhaust opened up and the PO did a poor job on the jetting. What helped my bike tremendously was a bigger needle jet. Its amazing how less cold blooded it is now when cold. If its stock though it might be something else. Cutch slip maybe too? That was another thing i dealt with.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 04:06:22 pm
I agree you're probably a touch lean. Might raise the needle a notch. With your previous late burn snarl is another lean indicator. Or if it's just doing it at small throttle openings richen up the idle needle.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:17:48 am
To answer a few questions..

It's mildly surging as I go through town @ 20-30mph.

I have these minor performance mods:
Amal Mk1 carburetor, with S&B cone filter, setup by dealer. Tickler, no choke.
Classic exhaust w/short silencer
Bosch Blue Coil
Cheap electronic ignition
One stiff spring on advance mechanism
Samrat pushrods.
New gel battery.

Good compression on kickover, though a meek kick often results in a cough back through the carb. Usually starts on 1st or 2nd kick.

Thanks for all your input
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:19 am
Lean if it's doing it after warm up. I take it your not lugging so probably a twist on the idle  will  cure it.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500