Author Topic: Because I Am a Total Nerd....  (Read 5022 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:56 pm
I actually have a set of those Halycon goggles, they are very good you often forget you are even wearing them and the RAF ones really suit a bullet.

As far as the oxygen mask setup, you need to make sure you don't accidentally direct humid air up into the goggles fogging them every time you breathe out. Many of the retro style leather face masks have that issue.

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:32 am
Fogging up the goggles shouldn't be an issue since the mask actually seals to the face and the exhaled air is actually directed down and away by internal vent/channels.  The big thing is going to be working out how to get it attached to my helmet :-)
Ton Up!

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 03:48:25 pm
The mask seems a bit extreme to me, but to each his own.

Flying gear used to be fairly common wear for bikers in the post WWII days.  Somewhere, my dad still has a leather USAAF helmet that he used while riding his Enfield-Villiers.  I used to play with it as a kid.

My first MC helmet was one of those half-egg things like they wore on CHIPS, complete with the leather ear flaps.  You could zip those off but it looked even more nerdier with just the straps.

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 01:19:37 am
You guys lost me about 10 posts ago - you're all not very self conscious are u - I think I will wear my Grandsons Darth Vader mask instead - hopefully the "force" will help when my head hits the rocks ::)
Dr B

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 04:01:39 am
YES!!!!! DO IT!! DO IT!!!!!
Darth Cyclist!
Ton Up!

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 01:08:14 pm
Me, I'm sticking with a full face.  I would much rather wear an open face like back in the old days but the data showing the likelihood of lower jaw injury force me to think otherwise.

After all, a FF doesn't cost more than anything else nowadays.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:28:05 pm
After doing 100km/h on my face lowsiding i will always wear a full face. Had I been wearing a half bucket my handsome chin would have been sanded away. Fashion be damned... Ya it would be nice to wear 'period correct' headgear, but it ain't for me. Desi Bike... The handsome one... 
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:23 pm
Yep.  I may morph into one of those ATGATT guys yet, which is perfectly OK for winter wear.

But MAN!, the summers.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:31 pm
I have both.

For road trips the full face is far less noisy and way more comfortable in the rain, on the freeway as you blast past no-one can really see what you are wearing so looks is irrelevant.

To potter around town and pop down to the local cafe the open face and goggles are more comfortable and definitely look the part.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 12:23:38 am
Asphalt vs. face?  It's not hard to pick the winner there.  I would love to have a pudding bowl and goggles but I wear a full face all the time. 

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 12:55:46 am
I have both.

For road trips the full face is far less noisy and way more comfortable in the rain, on the freeway as you blast past no-one can really see what you are wearing so looks is irrelevant.

To potter around town and pop down to the local cafe the open face and goggles are more comfortable and definitely look the part.

My porridge pot gets the nod for Club rides, too.
Just for a bit of history of the Rockers and Mods, I watched "The Leather Boys," a 1964 movie about the Rockers. Much of it was filmed at the Ace Cafe. The majority of the riders had full helmets. I didn't spot a porridge pot in the bunch. Of course that could have been for the movie, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com