Author Topic: Day 1 Air-box Elimination -Or- How I regained my bike's toolbox  (Read 6597 times)

b.sheets

• Bulleteer

I couldn't remember exactly how much it was.... it was worth it for sure though. a little tweaking but having the quality part on your bike is worth it.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
what "tweaking" was involved...  The Ace can is a piece of art...
Chris

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
i added a second metal bracket to make it stand upright.

since the UCE is built differently than the iron barrel it didn't fit exactly the same on both bikes, on the UCE it was tilted to the rear a little until I stood it back upright with a second piece of metal added to the bracket.
i attached a picture

*please note that after that it didn't stand upright the way that I wanted ace.cafe was willing to work on a bracket for me to make it fit the UCE perfectly but I didn't see a need because it was such a quick fix that I was ok doing myself....
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
what "tweaking" was involved...  The Ace can is a piece of art...

B.sheets showed his method of attaching a 2nd short piece to the bracket.
Others have just bent the Ace bracket to move it where they wanted it. It has worked both ways. The bracket is aluminum flat bar stock. Easy to bend all around.
It looks best when it is as close to vertical as we can get it, so the idea is to do whatever it takes to that bracket to get it standing where you want it.

The other thing is that the UCE throttle body has a little bit larger mouth than the Iron Barrel carb, so you have to stretch the connector hose a bit to get it on the throttle body mouth. If you dip the end of the hose in some very hot water for a couple of minutes, the hose is a lot easier to stretch over it.

It's not really hard to do. Everybody who has gotten one has succeeded in getting it on.

Here's the basic goal that we are trying to  achieve, shown on an Iron Barrel.

And it comes with a rain shield that can be left on the front of the filter if you want to, to shield the front from rain when you ride. Easily removable if you don't want it there.

On the ones for the UCE, I shorten the connector hose a bit, so that it makes it easier to get the upright stance when you put it on.

And I now shoot a coat of matte finish clear over the top of the chrome lid, so that it diffuses the sun reflections, and won't cause any issues with the seat scorching. Don't remove the matte clear finish, please.
The rim part of the lid which you mostly see when it's on the bike is still shiny chrome. I just had to diffuse the focused reflections of the top of the dish shaped lid, because it was acting as a magnifying glass, and causing problems from being too shiny.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:17:27 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !