Author Topic: Day 1 Air-box Elimination -Or- How I regained my bike's toolbox  (Read 6591 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Alrighty ladies and gentlemen,

DAY: 1

I received in the mail today one cone K&N style air filter in the mail today from our dear Prof_Stack.  Many kudos to him for sending this to me in the name of research and science in my endeavor to reclaim the toolbox that is now an air filter assembly on my 2011 C5. 

I will be attempting to reroute the air filter out of it current location in such a manner that allows me to utilize the air box as a more practical tool box which will allow me to store items such as spare inner tubes, lubricant, road maps, tools, flux capacitor, whatever.  My intent is to do the above while still maintaining the same level of efficiency that the current routing provides.

I will document my methods and findings here as I make progress with comments/write ups and photographs.

More to Follow!!!

~JP
Ton Up!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
It will be interesting so see how this goes. Good luck. I hope it works well! :) Keep us posted!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Okay, the US post office was efficient.  Ducati Scotty sent that filter to me originally. 

Lots of pix are needed.  You'll probably want to keep that plenum tube, used to smooth out the air.  But, hey, experimentation might yield great things!  :)

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Check some of the Indian sites, those guys have been using a cone filter on a long tube for quite a while.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Links?  I'm too lazy to go look myself.  Oh, and I'm trying to get work done.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:34:53 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
I recently finished my air box mod. I went a little different route, but it may be interesting for you to look at. I used a piece of coolant hose from a car to route the air box. It was convenient because I could find the right diameter, its easy to cut and there are lots of different sorts of bends available. Details are buried in here (BIG POST):
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8191.0.html

Dont forget you'll need to do something with the breather hose.

Keep us posted, I love these home brew projects!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:52:20 pm by Sub »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Why didn't you just cut another small hole and feed the crankcase vent in too?

Scott

rajithcherian

• Scooter
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/my-new-royal-enfield-classic-500-efi-t17139/

I'm to lazy to dig up the post, but it's in there, or here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review.html

here you go

However... I need to get a crank case ventilation filter.
Does the PAV intake requires clean air?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Yes.  K&N makes lots of small crankcase vent filters.  It's generally better to mount it higher than right on the outlet.  If you mount it low it can get an occasional messy oil burp.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:50:32 pm
Why didn't you just cut another small hole and feed the crankcase vent in too?

Scott

I thought the little filter would look neat, so it was an aesthetic decision. I also didnt want the air box  yucky inside.

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/my-new-royal-enfield-classic-500-efi-t17139/

I'm to lazy to dig up the post, but it's in there, or here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review.html

Thats hilarious, there are hundreds of posts in that thread! :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:53:56 pm

Does the PAV intake requires clean air?

It don't think it can hurt.
 Makes sense to me that clean air would make the valve last longer than dirty air.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:54:38 am
I hid the K&N crank case filter behind the tool box, I used a long hose and went as high as possible then looped it back down, any oil would have a long climb to get out.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:57:03 am
I like this thread!  I'd love to go back the the cone filter if I could, it sounded so awesome you don't need an aftermarket exhaust!  I'll be scoping out some radiator hose in the near future.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 01:41:59 am
Get radiator hose with a 90. there is a squared out area on the rear fender plastic, behind the tool box, you can tuck the cone in there easy enough. I'm sticking with the Shappers mod, it works perfect for me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:12:12 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 02:51:57 pm
I'd do that but I need to learn to weld first :(  Actually, I'm looking at taking a class with a friend soon at the local community college.

Scott

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 05:10:49 am
O.K. I know it's been a while since I have posted anything in this about progress etc, but between work and having to take an instructors course for my job, I've been pretty busy.

I decided to start things off first by running through a tank of gas or two to see where my AVG MPG was with the stock intake setup.  So with the stop and go, around town, back and forth to work  riding I have been doing, I'm averaging 63.7mpg on my bike right now and that's with the occasional gettin' on it to avoid people on the road whose hobby it is to try and kill motorcyclists.   I drive a minimum of 20 miles each day which is 10 miles out to the training site I work at and ten miles back.   So in and around town it's 63.7mpg. 

The weekend of the 23rd I am attending a camp out/rally for RE owners here in MO.  The place is an hour  to an hour and a half away from where I reside.  I'll top off and record the mileage before I get underway and then see where I'm at either during the rally or when I get home from it.

The next step will be to pull the stock air cleaner set up and place the cone filter directly on the intake with no tube extension and then begin recording data from there, and hen finally with a 180 degree elbow fitting modified, if necessary, to the length of the stock intake hose and gather data following that. 

Following the elbow test it is my goal to try and find at what length of intake hose does the incoming air become stable enough to not interfere with the sensors and reduce efficiency.

Soooo... more to follow guys!

Happy motoring!!!

~Jason
Ton Up!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 07:05:46 pm
Very thorough!  You have more patience than I do.

Scott

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Copied. Thanks for the idea!
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Okay so this looks like a neat entry level project, a way to create another secure storage space on the bike without adding hard saddle bags. Also if done right, it seems like it would create a better air flow.

Historically if I have a motorcycle I don't drive my truck unless I'm going to home depot or carrying a dead deer out of the woods. I ride rain or shine.

The stupid new guy question. If I'm out riding through the middle of a thunderstorm, is the air filter going to suck up a quart of water and dump it into the middle of my engine?
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Okay so this looks like a neat entry level project, a way to create another secure storage space on the bike without adding hard saddle bags. Also if done right, it seems like it would create a better air flow.

Historically if I have a motorcycle I don't drive my truck unless I'm going to home depot or carrying a dead deer out of the woods. I ride rain or shine.

The stupid new guy question. If I'm out riding through the middle of a thunderstorm, is the air filter going to suck up a quart of water and dump it into the middle of my engine?

2 part answer:

1. Yes, cheap. 3" PVC and a piece of rubber "j" tube. A 1/4" bolt, a couple of cheap 10 dollar filters for easy end caps. Spray paint. Lot's of ways to make it work...

2. I'm currently on the look out for an old-school horn or air cover to give a little bit of protection. I also used the J-tube to keep the air intake on the far side from the actual throttle body. It it more exposed then the stock? Yes. Much more.....? errrrrrr

I'll argue that the air box/tube is pretty deep. There's the reverse "j" tube. The engine is "bullet" tough. Even on the stock, water can get in on a heavy rain. etc.

So, in the end it's a fair risk.

For me I like the look, I wanted my box back, and I think we'll be ok with the rain.

If I discover more I'll post!

cheers,

Ijpe

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
I'm not in a place to go look at my bike right now, but I'm thinking maybe a mod to move the filter to the oval tool box. that way I still have a cover on the filter, and the bigger box can be used as storage. Just batting around ideas.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
I looked at that also... but opted for the easier "ditch it" path.

I'll admit, I formed an instant dislike of the small oval tool box. It was a bitch to open, I bruised a knuckle. Hard feelings formed. Arguments were had. The rest was history.:)

If you go that route do better then I, pictures. The oval box is in my "stuff pulled box." and ready for a good rehab!

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
ace.cafe hooked me up with one if his legendary ace air canisters.
he ships them out with a rain guard on it to prevent water from getting sucked into the filter. i think it was roughly $70 and worth every penny.
Tom really knows what he is doing and made a great product. check it out if you want. just do a search for the ace air canister.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.msg167498.html#msg167498
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
This forum is dangerous. Thus far it's given me the idea to make soft saddle bags out of military surplus bags (I used gas mask carriers), I followed that with a fork bag made from 80 year old leather Mosin Nagant ammo pouches. Currently I'm working on a pedestrian slicer made from an ammo can, with a no drill mount system, I've got the fin cut out and I primered it yesterday. today is sand down and paint. Maybe work the mounts some. B. Sheets has sent me an oval tool box cover for the side arm holster project. Now I'm looking at moving the air intake, and modifying the tool box even more.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
This forum is dangerous.

+1

ask my wife and my bank account.
hell, ask hitchcocks....they know me by name now. haha
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
ace.cafe hooked me up with one if his legendary ace air canisters.
he ships them out with a rain guard on it to prevent water from getting sucked into the filter. i think it was roughly $70 and worth every penny.
Tom really knows what he is doing and made a great product. check it out if you want. just do a search for the ace air canister.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.msg167498.html#msg167498

The price was a bit higher than that. And, as you found out, it took a bit of tweaking effort to get it on there just right.
But it will fit on a UCE, with a certain amount of effort, and it does look good and work well.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Altogether I spent maybe 30. Most of that was trial and error.

I love the Ace can. It's still on my "list". What's the going rate these days?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Altogether I spent maybe 30. Most of that was trial and error.

I love the Ace can. It's still on my "list". What's the going rate these days?

PM sent.

b.sheets

• Bulleteer

I couldn't remember exactly how much it was.... it was worth it for sure though. a little tweaking but having the quality part on your bike is worth it.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
what "tweaking" was involved...  The Ace can is a piece of art...
Chris

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
i added a second metal bracket to make it stand upright.

since the UCE is built differently than the iron barrel it didn't fit exactly the same on both bikes, on the UCE it was tilted to the rear a little until I stood it back upright with a second piece of metal added to the bracket.
i attached a picture

*please note that after that it didn't stand upright the way that I wanted ace.cafe was willing to work on a bracket for me to make it fit the UCE perfectly but I didn't see a need because it was such a quick fix that I was ok doing myself....
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
what "tweaking" was involved...  The Ace can is a piece of art...

B.sheets showed his method of attaching a 2nd short piece to the bracket.
Others have just bent the Ace bracket to move it where they wanted it. It has worked both ways. The bracket is aluminum flat bar stock. Easy to bend all around.
It looks best when it is as close to vertical as we can get it, so the idea is to do whatever it takes to that bracket to get it standing where you want it.

The other thing is that the UCE throttle body has a little bit larger mouth than the Iron Barrel carb, so you have to stretch the connector hose a bit to get it on the throttle body mouth. If you dip the end of the hose in some very hot water for a couple of minutes, the hose is a lot easier to stretch over it.

It's not really hard to do. Everybody who has gotten one has succeeded in getting it on.

Here's the basic goal that we are trying to  achieve, shown on an Iron Barrel.

And it comes with a rain shield that can be left on the front of the filter if you want to, to shield the front from rain when you ride. Easily removable if you don't want it there.

On the ones for the UCE, I shorten the connector hose a bit, so that it makes it easier to get the upright stance when you put it on.

And I now shoot a coat of matte finish clear over the top of the chrome lid, so that it diffuses the sun reflections, and won't cause any issues with the seat scorching. Don't remove the matte clear finish, please.
The rim part of the lid which you mostly see when it's on the bike is still shiny chrome. I just had to diffuse the focused reflections of the top of the dish shaped lid, because it was acting as a magnifying glass, and causing problems from being too shiny.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:17:27 pm by ace.cafe »