Author Topic: RS conversion for 5 spd  (Read 2118 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: March 21, 2008, 05:38:00 am
Has anyone installed the RS shift conversion kit for the 5spd Classic?

I know the 5spd tranny is purpose-built with a tunnel through the middle for the crossover mechanism, but doesn't that seem a bit less than perfect, still?

My thought is to eventually install the less expensive 1 down, 4 up conversion kit. I would imagine it to be better for shifting and much better for rear braking.

I just read the thread on the rear brake pedal and the flex in the brake pedal arm. I also read (here?) someone's opine regarding cornering clearances with the ungainly right brake pedal and comments about shiftability (though that regarded  the original 1 up 3 down pattern).

Unless I am mistaken, I can see nothing but an improvement in shifting and rear braking with the conversion kit (similar to the results of converting the 4 spd back to it's original layout.)

My only concern is less footroom on the right footpeg. I commented elsewhere in these pages that I have 11EEE feet and they splay to some degree, so that getting a good right footing is difficult for me with the 2006 kickstart lever configuration. With the conversion kit is the kickstart not moved even more "outboard" to accommodate the shift lever? Or is the conversion kit outer case recessed some to not amplify the situation?  Or is there a new less obtrusive lever provided? I have seen a less obtrusive shape on a 1999 "Enfield".

Okay, enough questions. Anybody?

-Jesse, K.I.S.S.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:23:34 pm
I believe that the output shaft for the shift lever is forward of the kick start shaft, so it should not make the lever any more obtrusive than it already is.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175