Author Topic: went looking  (Read 4927 times)

kc4pbl

• Scooter
on: March 19, 2008, 05:34:33 am
Drove about 200 miles to the closest dealer, looked at a clasic, a deluxe, and a military.Sat on a classic. The fit was good, the riding position was good, and the price was better. I decided to wait until I could afford one with a AVL engine.Besides who wants to 5000 on a credit card?  I ask if they would start on for me and they did, And I have one question                       what loud valves?        Ride safe   Dewight

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:35:32 am
    Mine are quiet.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:02:31 am
I have a 2005 classic, purrs like a kitten.  After much research and lurking like a shadow on this website, I was ready for "Loud valves save lives"!  When I fired it up the first time however, the sighs of relief from my neighbors drowned out my bullet.  I beleive every bike must be different in this respect.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:42 am
Youll hear them at 60.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:04:25 pm
Cyrus is right. I don't really hear them at idle, but at speed you can't miss them.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

deejay

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:26 pm
Drove about 200 miles to the closest dealer, looked at a clasic, a deluxe, and a military.Sat on a classic. The fit was good, the riding position was good, and the price was better. I decided to wait until I could afford one with a AVL engine.Besides who wants to 5000 on a credit card?  I ask if they would start on for me and they did, And I have one question                       what loud valves?        Ride safe   Dewight

Tappets probably need adjustment, easy fix. Scoop up a classic iron engine while you still can!

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:14:21 pm
I agree-My dealer only has one of the iron-engined Bullets left,and won't be getting any more. I think there are about 25 "last of the last' being brought into the country soon-then they will be gone.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

abe

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:29:32 am
Valves making that sound is why I wanted one of the last true old school bikes left on the planet, safety not a problem, wear a helmet and some goggles and enjoy the ride.

I would have two if I had the room.

abe

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 03:14:28 am
It really depends on how tightly the valves are adjusted (I know: "duh")..  Since both valves are set at 0 clearance and there are different strategies for adjusting the valves, it seems that some have clackity valves and others are quiet.  Since the valve clearances increase as the engine heats-up you might not hear the valves until then.   Mine become audible after the engine warms-up, but not much.  However, I agree with the other posters that mentioned how you can hear the valves at highway speeds!  My Bullet's valve pecking isn't necessarily loud at speed yet actually resonates inside my helmet!  Anyone else know what I mean?

I imagine the AVL valve train is quieter than the original?
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

kc4pbl

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 05:06:53 am
My question was more a joke than anything else, on the   loud valves save lives slogan.  I really was pleased that the engine was so quiet ;D  ride safe   Dewight

LJRead

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 05:52:48 am
When I first started mine, I thought, what a bunch of baloney these guys are putting out, it's so quiet.  Not so when ridden at even 40 km, but they say the irons are much quieter.  I'll be getting a new smaller muffler soon, and I'm thinking maybe a more robust sound in the muffler area will mask the sound of the tappets etc.  Mostly though I'm thinking of something else and don't notice the noise.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:51:57 am
Those of us with the iron engines have different ways of adjusting the valve clearances (tappets). I adjust mine cold to zero gap as in no play but 'spinable' with fingers. Others do that same routine when the engine is warm/hot so that the engine appears quieter etc but risk perhaps burning out a valve.

I love the fact that it has all the clanks etc as it makes it sound more 'oldie' authentic.
Half the reason for buying the bike in the first place was it reminds me of bygone times (like my stationary engines etc) !!!!!!  :D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:02:04 pm
Resonates,,,,,,,,,that only happens in empty spaces.......I hear my valves clacking like mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but they don't resonate...........Just joshin...........I've got an 02 ES ,does that make it worth more now since its an Iron Head like me...........dg

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 08:35:29 pm
I've got an 02 ES ,does that make it worth more now since its an Iron Head like me...........dg
My tappets don't clatter much, but my head seems to rattle more than it used too when young. So I don't know about the being worth more when it comes to Me. The bike yes.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.