Author Topic: Waxed Cotton or Military Motorcycle Jackets  (Read 6399 times)

IndyJAG

• Scooter
on: March 19, 2008, 12:28:22 am
Hey everybody,

Does anyone have a recommendation on waxed cotton riding jackets?  Of course there's Barbour, and Belstaff,yet I find these are more than I want to spend!  I just ordered a Swedish military motorcycle jacket for next winter (39 bucks!), any other out of the box suggestions? What did the British military wear?  The Indian Army still use Enfields to patrol, right?  I wonder what they wear.  Any and all ideas will be appreciated.  Thanks Bulleteers

jag

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:14:03 am
I used to ride with a U.S. military field jacket and liner. It was good to about 20 deg F or -7 C , however the olive drab green is difficult for motorist to see.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:43:12 am
.0  well im partial .. I sell Barbour...    good stufff ....  with upkeep on your part a  good Infestment

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:58:23 am
Scotty do you have an online store?

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27:47 am
   I'm not sure you'd really want to wear what the British Army did. During WW2,and for many years after, motorcyclists wore the DR mac-a HEAVY rubberized canvas overcoat with all sorts of snaps and straps-even leg straps to wrap the "skirts" of the coat around your legs. You'd get some looks wearing it today...
   I just got a Barbour International,but I have yet to actually take it out on my new Bullet (rain mixed with snow for two days since delivery) :'(   so, I can't give a review of it-but I always wanted one,and I usually wear other waxed cotton jackets (Filson) for everyday wear. Until it warms up a bit, I'm probably going to wear the wool liner from one of my Filson coats under the Barbour (I didn't get the snap-in liner for it)
   It IS black,which is not so good from a visibility standpoint,but I'm going to upgrade my old (black) helmets anyway to something eye-catching (I was out of bike riding for many years until I recently got the itch to ride again).
  I got a pair of Belstaff waxed cotton overtrousers on eBay recently for very reasonable money. i don't think they are made anymore, and I'm not sure Barbour still makes them,either.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:22 pm
I'm not sure if this line is what you are looking for and the initial outlay is steep but FILSON  is a fine, fine product. I wear my foul weather jacket with my wool liner whenever it is cold out.l

geoffbaker

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:01:01 pm
There's a flourishing trade in used Barbour and Belstaff on ebay and ebay stores, you might want to check it out. Besides Filson there is also DriZaBone. I've seen some Barbour knockoffs on ebay too... for less than half price.