Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 3877 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: March 18, 2008, 01:03:29 pm
Sat. I tried to fire up my 06 Electra and couldn't get it started.  Its always cold starting after not cranking it for a week, but this time it just would not start.  Finally as I was trying to crank it I twisted the throttle and it just quit.  No noise, no sound, no nothing.  Would you experts think that it might be a fuse?  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Terry

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:02:17 pm
Check the fuse, check the battery charge, and ... is the side stand up? there is a switch that won't let it start if the side stand is down.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:28 pm
I also think that you have started empty your battery or the fuse to the starter solenoid is blown. Take care of the kill switch! Sometimes you just turned off at your efforts!
I also have problems when starting after standing long time. The carburetor has the tendency to overfloat the engine after long starting efforts with choke pulled. Screw out the spark plug, dry it, an try to start again with the choke pushed in. When the engine begins to fire you can pull out the choke and let the engine warm up.

Regards
Chris

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:34:13 am
Hiya TRider
When you say "just quit" - you mean NOTHING - so with electric start, it doesn't even turn over?

If so, it's not due to the sidestand being down, or carb flooding - because for those, using electric start it cranks over all right, but won't start.

If not - the kill switch is possible - when mine is flicked, she won't crank over.

Do the lights work once key turned on?  If not, check you haven't just had a battery lead come loose...

If so, maybe a fuse, as you say.

Let us know!
Biddy

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 07:35:21 pm
Fixed!!  It was a fouled sparkplug.  I had an extra plug I bought ages ago, same as the one that came out, installed the plug and bike cranked up like new.
Thanks!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:46:09 am
  I too fouled out one spark plug during the breakin.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:17:32 am
Don't you just love it when it's simple? Problems that used to scare the hell out of me with Jap bikes always turn out to be simple and easy on the RE. I'm still tying to get used to that.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:12:11 am
  I too fouled out one spark plug during the breakin.

jon

Yup, me too.

Eamon
Eamon

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:49:04 pm
You are so right.  I originally thought about the spark plug but decided it couldn't be that as the "cranking sound" sounded to good to be the plug.  I cleaned out the carb bowl, made sure all the lines were clear, checked the battery, etc.  Then I says to myself, "maybe it could be the plug".  Of course reading in the maintenance manual the plug should be one of the first things one would check.  I think its fuel to the carb first and plug second.  At least there is no computer to worry about.
You are so right on in your statement below.

Don't you just love it when it's simple? Problems that used to scare the hell out of me with Jap bikes always turn out to be simple and easy on the RE. I'm still tying to get used to that.
[/quote]