Author Topic: When does the new engines and New designs come out.  (Read 38996 times)

deezildennis

• Neophyte
I just saw the Yout tube movie with RE Corp stating they will have a FI Engine and some new designs out soon.

Any Idea when that is going to happen?  Will the states get the FI engine?

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:22 pm
It'll be a few years for U.S. models, according to every source I've heard.  I truly hope they don't try to sell this 7/8 scale sportster here:

The U.S. DOES NOT need another cruiser looking bike, IMHO.  Please, RE, don't ruin our 'vintage' bikes!  I hope they just add the improved engines into the existing styling.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:10:17 pm
It'll be a few years for U.S. models, according to every source I've heard.  I truly hope they don't try to sell this 7/8 scale sportster here:

The U.S. DOES NOT need another cruiser looking bike, IMHO.  Please, RE, don't ruin our 'vintage' bikes!  I hope they just add the improved engines into the existing styling.
   I second that statement, although the new engine looks to much like a Suzuki Savage motor. I currently own bikes from 230cc to 1639cc and if I was to choose one, it would be my 05 Bullet Classic. My second choice would be my Suzuki  650 Savage single.  It is faster, but when it comes to great dealers and distributor, dependability and ease of maintainance, not to mention that British look and pure riding enjoyment, the Royal Enfield wins hands down.    Ride safe     Hutch
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:33:32 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:54:39 pm
I've clicked on the "Red X" & hit the show picture & hit refresh several times. Is there another site I can go to so i can see this engine? I dunno what MPG they are talking about getting out of it, but to get rid oif a carb & go to a system I can fix if it messes up, it would have to offer me some incredible gains.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:45:18 am
Relax boys and girls I can tell you first hand with absolute certainty that there are no pictures of the new bike which will be introduced in England this Fall (in theory). Unless you happen to run across one in the Italian Alps being tested they have not been seen in public. I saw it last fall at the Royal Enfield Distributors meeting in Cologne Germany as did a hand full of people. The new engine is pictured on the internet somewhere though. Everyone will get their chance to weigh in on the bike this Fall. Personally I like it. Also don't worry about the Classic look going away. I have seen a bike that they plan on releasing perhaps in 2009 that is better looking than the current classic.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:36:14 am
I have seen a bike that they plan on releasing perhaps in 2009 that is better looking than the current classic.

Blasphemy! No bike looks better than the current classic! ;D

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:28:20 am
It would have to something truly spectacular to look better than mine.  I still just sit and look at the thing.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:50:04 pm
think G model
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:04 pm
think G model

SWEET!  I call dibs on the first one into the U.S.! ;D

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:20:23 pm
I want the second, OK?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 06:56:14 pm
A picture of a G model would sure be cool for those of us not well versed in the different models & their differences.
Also, will it be FI? Any MPG claims you are aware of? The things seem to be pretty phenomenal for a 500cc thumper, already. If they can offer some wild MPG with the FI, I can envision some trade ins.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:24:10 pm
Fuel injection is great, if you don't mind going to a dealer to get things fixed.  Carburetters are much easier.   The fuel delivery, and usually the mileage of FI is to be desired, but the trade off in ease of maintenance may well be too much for many of us.  I have a FI bike.. I don't think I want another.  I have an old fuel injected truck that hasn't run right for 10 years.. I can do nothing with it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 11:07:37 pm
I agree with Indiana about the FI. I've had both carb and FI on my airboats and I much prefer the carb for maintenance reasons over the few extra HP from the FI. FI is great when it's running right but I hated it when things started to act up.

I can't wait to see what this "new" bike might look like if it's produced............

Adam
REA Member #10

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 11:08:41 pm
Fuel injection is great, if you don't mind going to a dealer to get things fixed.  Carburetters are much easier.   The fuel delivery, and usually the mileage of FI is to be desired, but the trade off in ease of maintenance may well be too much for many of us.  I have a FI bike.. I don't think I want another.  I have an old fuel injected truck that hasn't run right for 10 years.. I can do nothing with it.
I agree whole heartedly with those statements. I don't carry a PC in my back pocket to remap a fuel system, just a screw driver will do. My 2002 6 cyclinder GMC Sonoma got 22mpg when I bought it, now it is 16mpg or less. The truck only has 45,000 miles and been screwing up for 20,000. Dealer has changed everything and can't figure it out. Not just one but two dealers. They both gave up. My sons truck did the same thing, an s-10 same year. My 289 hot rod motor that is built to the gills with a Holley 4-barrel gets 20mpg. Go figure!!    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 10:06:04 pm
I totally disagree.  EFI is so much simpler than carb tuning that you can't even compare the two in the same breath. 
It is a common misconception that you have to re-map the computer when you change something.  That is flat wrong.  An EFI system is engineered to keep the engine running at optimum fuel / air ratio regardless of atmospheric conditions.  Therefore if you do things like changing out an air filter or add a performance exhaust, the EFI system automatically compensates and keeps the A/F ratio within a set range at all throttle positions and under varying loads.  A carburettor simply can't do that.  A carb is at best a compromise, it can never constantly adjust itself like EFI can. 
The reason that many people re-map their EFI system's VE (Volumetric Efficiency) tables is to remove lean running under certain conditions that are put in place for emmisions reasons.  Most have been sold a bill of goods, that they need these piggy-back boxes to adjust the system for the pipes they have installed.  To a very small extent, that's true.  But only with regard to absolute peak performance across throttle position and loads.  For 99.9% of street riding the stock maps will work just fine, regardless of which pipe has been installed.
For me, even if I have to hook up a lap top to my system and take 15 or so seconds to download a new map, that sure beats the crap out of busting out the tools and rejetting a carb (or multiple carbs), where you're looking at an hour minimum, and you'd better hope you guessed correctly on jet size, or you'll have to do it all over again.