Author Topic: When does the new engines and New designs come out.  (Read 39103 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 03:09:49 pm
My first hand observations about the UCE is that a carb would bolt right on, although I am not sure why you would want to do that except perhaps for looks, not for performance.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 02:24:27 pm
My first hand observations about the UCE is that a carb would bolt right on, although I am not sure why you would want to do that except perhaps for looks, not for performance.
For those of us that like to fix things ourselves, and adjust carbs where we want them. Compulsive tinkerers that can say we did that tune up, and take the blame for the results, be it good or bad. We work on bikes, and don't just ride them. It is a matter of pride in doing your own tune ups, and the self satisfaction of not just changing oil once in a while. My enjoyment has always been that last turn of the screwdriver with your ear listening for that sweet spot where the motor is at the perfect mix and you hear it. That goes for cars and bikes. Sadly that way is being lost and replaced with people that only assemble, and let the "electronics" do the rest. Hutch
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:32:36 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 04:15:58 pm
::)I, for one and curious and a little excited about the new bike. I love the idea of a more modern working, but classic looking bike in the tradition of our Bullets!  I don't know how well it will sell, but so many cruisers now are so exaggerated in their styling, that a basic, functional, rational and beautiful bike, that is hopefully priced affordably has huge appeal to me. 

My sentiments exactly.  Up until I stumbled across Royal Enfield, the only bikes that lit my fire at all were the Triumph Bonnies and the Kawasaki W650 Triumph look alike.

Now, with the possibility of a Classically styled RE with more modern running gear even those two bikes don't interest me. 

Motorcycle styling has gotten way out of hand.  When almost all you can get is a crotch rocket or a deformed cruiser, it's a very sad thing.  The RE Electra styling did not hold the appeal for me that the Classic did, but it was way better than any of the other makes.

I have been a motorcycle mechanic for about 35 years, so carbs and points are not a mystery to me.  But I must admit to liking the solid state ignition on my scooter.  Pretty much set it and forget it.  Once set it's always correct.  Yes, the mystery box can break, but for me those instances have not existed.

The EFI is not something I am familier with.  But if in fact it can correct the mixture for the addition of a free flowing pipe and filter, well I guess I see that as a step forward.

Should we worry about not having anything to fix or adjust on the new machines?  I really can't imagine that happening.  Even with hte new engine, the Bullet is still largely old technology.  There should still be plenty to fiddle with.

Boy, I hope I'm right about that last statement.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 07:51:40 pm
Fred, I know how you feel from the same mechanics view. I never owned a timing light. Did it by "ear" Dwell meters were cool, but still like "feeler gauges." People used bring their bikes and cars to me all the time to adjust the carbs and set points and timing. I don't know how many times they had just got it back from a tune up from a dealer, and tell me it just doesn't run like it did. Being a hot rodder with oversize cams and big carbs, you learn to forget the lights and factory settings. You just close your eyes and let that motor talk to you. It will tell you when to stop turning and it is "happy". I miss that with these new fangled bikes and cars. I have a GMC sonoma that used to get 22mpg. It dropped to 16 and I have had it to 2 dealers. Between the 2, they have replaced sensors, exhaust, and everything in between.They still can't figure it out. 67,000 miles on a 2000, and it gets less gas mileage than my "66 ,289 Mustang motor with racing cam, Holley 4 barrel, and it's bored out 40 thousandths.I'm not the only one. I ran into a guy, when I just back from Kentucky picking up a bike. I got 22mpg. He said he sold his Sonoma because it got 16mpg no matter how he drove it. I told him I loved mine. Guess what my mileage dropped to about 3 months later. You guessed it. 16mpg. I hate sealed up little black boxes that just sit there and stare at you. First thing you want to do is grab a hammer. It has to be replaced anyway, no tearing this apart and fixing it. Mechanics are a dying breed. They have been replaced by techies and remove and replace morons.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 09:13:27 pm
There is a link on the forum to an Indian forum, on which there's a picture of the U.C.E. motor, hooked up with a carb, NOT E.F.I., so there is hope for the tinkerers, thank goodness.

prof_stack

Reply #50 on: December 19, 2007, 07:39:29 pm
There is nothing to fear from EFI.  It drastically cuts down on emissions, adjusts to different air intakes and pipes (to a point, anyway), is maintenance free, and nowadays doesn't break down.  Hey, if HD/Buell can make it work, RE sure can.   ::)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 09:01:13 pm
Nice link. Pretty informative.

Adam
REA Member #10

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 02:45:22 pm
Good presentation - dont understand the Gross Wt of 365 Kgs, though...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 05:36:52 pm
http://www.royalenfieldlesite.com/spip/IMG/pdf/UK_Presentation.pdf

Well, that cetainly cleared up a lot of questions I had.  But, is the gearbox bathing in engine oil?  Looks that way.
And that low fuel level feature is ,,kinda cheating.
I would buy one.  It's a little too functional looking and factory as it sits now.  I think Kevin said for the U.S. there will be a more traditional looking style coming down the pipe,  like Model G styling? 
I think acceptance will come gradually, as the UCE is insinuated into the RE "fraternity."

Steve in Puyallup

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #55 on: December 21, 2007, 06:46:23 pm
I am  not sure as I am not yet a fuel injection expert (going to training in Germany next month), but I think the low fuel issue relates to the FI. The engine and transmission do share oil.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 08:09:11 pm
I am  not sure as I am not yet a fuel injection expert (going to training in Germany next month), but I think the low fuel issue relates to the FI. The engine and transmission do share oil.

The fuel injection would require a fuel pump.  And the fuel pump would be lubricated by the fuel itself - run out of fuel and the pump gets toasted.  Same as all fuel injected cars - after about the second "run out of gas" incident, the whole pump assembly needs replaced at about $600 to $800 dollars.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: December 21, 2007, 09:34:14 pm
That's scary. How long would it take to ruin it? Would he few seconds it takes to switch over to reserve do any damage? I end up doing that quite a bit.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: December 21, 2007, 11:37:16 pm
Thinking about it, the tank on the the last fuel  injected bike I owned didn't actually have a separate main and reserve, but instead had a low fuel warning light, perhaps to avoid the very issue of temporarily running without fuel when the level in the tank dropped down to where reserve would normally be. 
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: December 22, 2007, 03:04:19 pm
Dang Foggy, what kind of fuel pumps are you running that cost $600 plus? :)

Even real nice ones from Jegs and such are a few hundred but I never had any go bad seconds after running out of fuel. In fact I only had one go bad and it was just old as dirt, that's all. And I ran them old airboats out of gas more than once unfortunately.... :D

Needless to say the fuel pump doesn't worry me none.

Adam
REA Member #10