Author Topic: Seat Brackets Mod. (Old-Fashioned Style Solo Seat) for Tall Riders.  (Read 4931 times)

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
I knew before I bought my Bullet that I wanted it to have a solo seat.  I bought my solo seat second-hand and although it came with rear mounting brackets there was none for the front.  I know some solo seats are fixed in the front with a bolt directly through the mount that's welded to the tube frame.  I considered doing this but felt that it would make the front of the seat too low and too close to the tank.  I temporarily fixed the seat in this position and installed the original rear brackets to see how this arrangement would feel.  I'm 6' 3" and, while I generally love the ergonomics of the Bullet, the solo seat position just felt to close to the tank.

I decided to make custom brackets for the front and rear.  Two 3" parallel brackets, angled roughly 40 degrees rearward, combined with rear brackets 1" longer (2 1/2" center to center) than the original brackets which were angled and approximately 1 1/2" center to center.  The new front brackets allow for some adjustability fore and aft but I positioned the seat to keep the springs as vertical as possible.

Here are the specifications of the brackets:

(2) FRONT Brackets  3" x 1 1/4" x 1/8"  (made from 24" x 1 1/4" x 1/8" steel bar from Home Depot) each with two 5/16" holes, one in each end, 1/2" from each end (2" center to center).  Painted black.

(2) REAR Brackets 3 1/2" x 1" x 1/4"  (made from 24" x 1" x 1/4" steel bar from Home Depot) each with two 5/16" holes, one in each end, 1/2" from each end (2 1/2" center to center).  Painted black.

The front brackets are mounted by placing a piece of 5/16" all-thread rod through the holes (in this case, pre-existing) in the front of the seat frame, and secured with nuts and lockwasher on the inside and nylon locknuts on the outside.  The all-thread should be just long enough to allow for the locknut on each end.  No excess all-thread rod should protrude from the locknuts or this will cause a bulge in the seat cover. A 5/16" bolt, cut to suit could also be used instead of the all-thread.  The pic below shows the view looking at the all-thread rod, nuts, washers and the very ends of the brackets::

This pic shows one of the custom rear brackets (left) and one of the original rear brackets (right).  Note that the original rear brackets were bent at an angle but the one in this pic has been pounded flat (I had been experimenting with them :) ):

This pic shows the left-side rear bracket as installed.  Initially, I was concerned that the brackets might bend over time due to their being longer than the originals.  These are thicker and, as it turns out, happen to rest directly on top of the fender carrier mounting, providing more stability! :

This pic shows the seat orientation in relation to the tank:

Now the seat position feels great!

Let me know what you think about this mod. or if you have any questions!

Al
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:41:00 am by Byway »
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Nice job! The bit I wanted to see is just out of shot though. That is the gap now between the nose of the solo seat and the rear of the tank. If you could oblige I'd appreciate that.
Cheers,      LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Thanks, LSM! 

I didn't realize that that pic of the seat had gotten cut-off when I posted it.  I'll snap a more inclusive shot of the seat and tank in a day or so!

Al

2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Here's a shot of mine @ present Byway

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Is that a through-bolt I see right in front of the mount, and on top of the wiring harness?  The nylon roller you have between the mount and the seat seems like a clever solution to raising the front of the seat a bit!

We've been having a veritable monsoon here and, although it's well-covered, my Bullet is parked outside.  I may be able to play around with it and snap a picture of the seat tomorrow...  I hope!   :-\

Al

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
That nylon roller is from a stairlift frame travel assy. Suits my age (actually, it's what I sell for a living).
Does help as I have the same on the two rear springs too.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Use what you've got, right?   ;D   

At first glance it looks as if the front attachment is bolted to the wiring harness!   :)

Al

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
It is Al!
I have a heated solo seat ha ha. I wish sometimes it was................... ::)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
If only the Bullet alternator could handle the extra load!  It'd be a really nice mod!  ;D

geoffbaker

But imagine how a short circuit would feel....

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Ummm.
Perhaps I can persaude the ex - wife to sit on it while I plug it into the 240v UK mains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Adds new meaning to the name "Electra"!   ::)

Al

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
LOVL!!!!!!!  ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin