Author Topic: New Owner needs help!  (Read 11175 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:23:02 pm
First off, Thanks everyone very much for all your help, I can tell this forum will be a great resource in my ownership of the awesome bike that is, Royal Enfield.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA so if anyone is around this area, please let me know I'd love to pick your brain about maintenance  & such.

Quick question about the "decompression lever"- were is it on a 2000 Bullet 500? And, is this something that you do before kicking over?

Thanks again for your continued support!

Tim

Tim,

To simplify the thought process - in case you hadn't picked it up from the detailed procedures is this:

The main theme here is to just get through the compression prior to kicking it.

This is where the decomp lever comes in. It releases the compression so that your leg muscle doesn't have to push through it.

*HOWEVER* even without the decomp lever it is really not difficult to do. It's all technique:

Centerstand.
Slowly kick through until you hit compression.
Release the lever and let it come back up fully.
Now stand on it and use your weight and a little muscle to slowly *push* through compression.
As soon as it has eased through, release the lever and let it come back up fully.

Now it is set to kickstart. Lever is fully up and it is just through compression.
This is the point you give it a mighty kick.

I've used this technique with many thumpers.

A couple of tips to help it light up on that one kick:

It's worth it to kick through with ignition off 3, 4 or a half dozen times.
If you've located the decomp lever, use it engaged to kick through.

It takes experience to know the correct choke (or lack thereof) to use.

Some ignitions get a fatter spark if you have your headlights off. Not sure if that's the case with the Classics, but I always have my lights off when kickstarting.

Make certain your spark plug is good. When in doubt, don't mess around, just replace it.

Matt

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 09:35:53 pm
First off, Thanks everyone very much for all your help, I can tell this forum will be a great resource in my ownership of the awesome bike that is, Royal Enfield.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA so if anyone is around this area, please let me know I'd love to pick your brain about maintenance  & such.

Quick question about the "decompression lever"- were is it on a 2000 Bullet 500? And, is this something that you do before kicking over?

Thanks again for your continued support!

Tim

Reading your post, I am getting the impression that you don't have the operators manual or any manual whatsoever.
If that's the case, get Pete Snidal's manual. Our host sells it.
If you only buy one manual, that's the one to get. I prefer the hardcopy.
It'll answer pretty much all the questions regarding the standard Bullet and will keep you riding it and not scratching your head.

Peter

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 09:58:37 pm
  I got a feeling Peter is missing the cable on the compression release.  Here is where it is located.  Sorry about the poor photo but best I had.  If your's is indeed missing the cable and lever on the handlebar not to worry, just press in on the top and work it that way.  Might want to wear gloves after it gets hot.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

tmccarthy41

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 01:23:56 am
great, I found the compression lever, and now have a basic understanding of how it works. tried to turn it over earlier tonight, and got nothing... granted it was about 35 degrees out when trying to do this (maybe that had something to do with it).

I would have the ability to do one good kick, then the next would be a very hard kick, (decompression?)

anyway, does anyone know a website or have a link that sells an electric start kit for the bullet 500? I just want to see one, and price them (I'm very frustrated with the kick start right now!)

-Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:37 pm
     There is no kit. The retrofit would involve a new engine case among other things. The cost would be prohibitive. If this is really an issue it would be cheaper to trade in on a new bike. But that is really not necessary. Once you master the technique you can start it with your hand. Even if you don't find an Enfield buddy near by, I'm sure some one around Pittsburgh services English bikes. Go see that store and I know you will get some help.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 07:23:14 am
Tim in Pittsburgh,

If you aren't getting "anything", perhaps you have inadvertently tripped the kill switch on the right side control. This is not something new.  Many of us have spent sweaty, swearing minutes kicking our brains out while the kill switch negated our efforts.

Just something to check...

-Jesse, been there, done that
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 12:04:40 pm
There should never be a time when you have to kick your brains out. If your mill don't fire in a couple of kicks there something wrong. No gas, valves out, closed points, dead plug,no volts, something. This should not stymie you, its lawnmower technology and the fault can be determined in a few minutes. Believe me, you will look a hell of a lot smarter spending a few minutes trouble shooting at the curb than kicking yourself into a heart attack.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 01:51:16 pm
There's a series of like half a dozen videos on YouTube titled "The Art of Starting a Royal Enfield." This one shows how to use the decompressor, but it might be worth your while to watch the others.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P2-Lla-_zJw

Unfortunately, the camera work is really bad. Maybe for a task like this, where it helps to see someone else do it, one of our members could post a better video. Or maybe our hosts could create a series of tutorial videos on various tasks. Just a thought.

I'll be happy to make some once I have my Bullet this Summer.

Jeff

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:59:29 pm
The advise about each bike having it's own personality is right on. Ours starts on the 1st or 2nd kick if you turn the idle speed knob up about a turn. Leave it there until the bike warms up, then turn it down for the nice "Thump".

remember the old saying: " if it isn't working the way your doing it, Repeating it will yeild the same result" (paraphrased)

If it is flooding, turn off the choke and hold the throttle open for a kick or two, then close it and try another kick (chock off) before using the choke again.

Vince is right, don't let them scare you. It isn't like kicking over a 1200cc HD or old big bore Brit Twin.

Just in case there is a mechanical reason for the failure to start, check the battery charge, check the connector on the little wire from the pionts to the coil for connection, check the spark plug for fouling.

Also check the things we all have done: the kill switch was already mentioned, The bike is in neutral, and the fuel petcock is turned on. If it is low, and in the ON position  the pick up is above the fuel level in the tank. Switch it to RES (reserve) or fill the tank.
Trust me, we have all done it.

jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 07:05:47 pm
 :o  WOW all of these descriptions on starting procederes, The easy way is to live on a loooooong steeeep hill. 
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:23 am
Tim, I live in the Johnstown area and would be happy to let you pick my brain. My bike is a 2000 model also. PM or e-mail me any specific questions and I'll try to help.

tmccarthy41

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:11 pm
Great guys, thanks for all the help

& thanks again Mike for talking me through it
-Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 07:07:36 am
Hey Tim, haven't heard from you in a while. How's your bike working out? If it still won't start, you might check a few basic things. Do you know how to make sure the spark plug is getting spark? And that fuel is getting to the carb? I had a Yamaha xs500 that wouldn't start for anything, and it turned out the little filters in the petcocks were so full of crap, no fuel was passing through at all.

Just curious.
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f