Author Topic: Accessory circuit  (Read 3302 times)

geoffbaker

on: March 16, 2008, 12:28:46 am
Hi,

My 2000 Bullet doesn't really have an accessory circuit. Still, I'd like to wire it up to charge my cell phone, and to run an extra meter (cyl head temp), both only when the switch is on.

Any recommendations on how to connect this up easily?

The neg can be grounded anywhere, of course. But where's an easy place to hook into a circuit that's only on when the switch is turned? The running lights?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 04:35:13 am
I'd get a hot for the Temp from the running lights or any hot wire in the lights....
The cell charger is going to need a cig. plug, right??  Why not mount this in the left box and get your hot from the fuse wire??
                                  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:10:21 pm
I've got it set up in the left box... we're thinking the same way :)

I can get the hot from the fuse, no problem... I'll give that a shot today!

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:53:59 am
Actually, the hot connection off the main fuse is not a switched circuit... it's always on. So I just got out the meter and after a little testing cut into the gray wire on the 5connector junction box that leads to the rear lights. I set the ground wires to connect to the front left bolt under the seat... easy to get at if necessary.

Now I have both a accessory cigarette lighter power connector and a cylinder temp meter both wired in nicely!

I should add that you can spend over $100 for a "powerlet" connector system... or less than $10 to get a cheap cigarette lighter power connector with fuse and wire it in yourself!

I may even try running my phone's GPS system while riding... we'll see how that works!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:54:37 pm by geoffbaker »