Author Topic: Looking for a new thumper after hitting a bumper...  (Read 4641 times)

prof_stack

On June 30 I t-boned a Honda Civic at ~20-25mph (according to the policeman who came with me to the ER) and apparently (will get the numbers today) totaled my bike.  The other driver's insurance is handling the property damage/loss and "pain and suffering".   I was given the full monty at the trauma center (CT scan, xrays, probes, yah fun) and released 6 hours later with no broken bones or neural damage.  Wearing full gear saved my hide.  No bruises either.  Just some pain in the ankle and neck.

Okay, I've had my eye on the Electra for a year now and test-rode one last year.  My previous singles have been the '78 Yamaha SR500 and '00 Buell Blast.  My busted bike is/was a Buell XB9S.  I recently test-rode a Suzuki GZ250 which didn't seem to have any less power than the Electra.

My concerns with RE are about durability and reliability.  What can you tell about the Electra that has been problematic?  Oil leaks, sprag gear, valve failures, irritations?

Next, common upgrades?  Headlamp, air filter/box, exhaust, seat?

Thanks for any and all help! 

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:28:09 pm
Ditto. The Electra does not leak oil and as far as durability goes, the bike is made to run for years on third-world roads.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:31:00 pm
As for the 70s styling, I found that the seat is the biggest offencer. I added a tan solo seat and pad to my green Electra and it looks perfect.