Author Topic: Solo seat wanted  (Read 5355 times)

geoffbaker

on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:31 am
Yeah, another guy who likes the look of the solo seat. If anyone has one, pretty much any condition, let me know!

deejay

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:28:42 pm
Yeah, another guy who likes the look of the solo seat. If anyone has one, pretty much any condition, let me know!

Check your PMs

deejay

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:08:36 pm
Let me know if you're interested via PM. I'm going to put it up on eBay soon. Would rather let it go to a member here. Check it out below...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:35:57 pm
Thanks for the offer, deejay. It looks nice... but I think I'm going to get a spring seat from england (for less than $100) and have it recovered in real leather.

What ever happened to leather? Now "premium" means a better quality vinyl :D

rider677

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:33:54 am
   I made one for mine ,it's more (a little bit) comfortable (a little wider) than the RE solo seat.  i took a seat off of a cushman eagle had it recovered and used the cushman seat mount with a little grinding and weld a another bar to the rear of it drilled a few holes mounted the springs and it works good.      ernie miller

deejay

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:12:53 pm
Thanks for the offer, deejay. It looks nice... but I think I'm going to get a spring seat from england (for less than $100) and have it recovered in real leather.

What ever happened to leather? Now "premium" means a better quality vinyl :D

No worries mate, good luck with the new seat, real leather sounds great! ;D

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:17:48 pm
I love leather, but it doesn't stand up to rain as well. I always wondered what it would feel like to use that new memory foam when building a seat. Two inches of memory foam and soft leather cover...don't know how it would work, but sounds comfy.

geoffbaker

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:47:31 am
Well, if you keep leather conditioned, it should be fine. Plus with a solo sprung seat, you can always put on a cover to protect it...

I'm curious never having had a solo seat as to comfort level. The old style had individually sprung seats, with all the support carried by a dozen or so transverse springs, then the whole seat suspended on more springs.

Done right, I think it would be a lot more comfortable than a hard steel pan with an inch or two of foam - any kind of foam. The pans are just much cheaper to make.

Plus the sprung seats would age to fit your butt better...

I don't know for sure, because I've never tried one.

How about sprung seat on transverse spring supports WITH a layer of gel, then covered with leather... blissssssssssssss....

ty

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:54:37 am
hi everyone. i've been on REs for awhile now but just joined this forum. it's a real pleasure to be among other enthusiasts. be well.

-ty

geoffbaker

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14:03 pm
Hi ty,

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure how this got onto "solo seat wanted"... you might want to repost as a new topic in the forum most suited to your bike or the bike you're considering buying... e.g. classic, electra, new, vintage etc.