Author Topic: Import papers?  (Read 7715 times)

geoffbaker

on: March 13, 2008, 03:37:44 am
I bought my 2000 last month in Utah and brought it down to Tucson.

I had to spend a month rebuilding the head and sprucing things up... BUT

I went into the Tucson DMV today to get it inspected/registered, carrying my title and the Utah registration... and was told that because it was an import I needed a piece of paper stating it had passed all federal requirements at time of importation ...

Has anybody come across this or is it just an AZ issue?

I mean, I bought it from a guy who bought it from a dealer who at some point imported it into the US, but I don't have those papers...

Do they require every AZ Mercedes owner to show that their Mercedes bought in CA and originally imported from Germany has passed federal requirements?

The guy told me I could bring it in tomorrow for a "Level 2" inspection (which would cost $20) and they would inspect it... but that it would have to pass all federal requirements...

Anybody who has ever experienced this, please let me know!
I emailed CMW to ask who might have this kind of paperwork for my VIN, hope to hear back soon....

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:34:10 am
There should be a tag inside the right toolbox with the DOT info on it. (there is on mine at least)
As far as dealers importing it into the country the dealers don't import the bikes into the country the importer does. As far as I know there have been only 2 legal importers in the US and CMW is one of them and Marty Scott was the one before them.
You could check the #s on the bike to see if they are the same series of #s as the legally imported ones.
If not then you have one of the ones that were brought into the country illegally.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:49:27 pm
  Other than the DMV not having an abbrevation for Royal Enfield  I had no problems regeistering my Oklahoma bought RE in Kansas.  At the time it was the 7th one in the state.
  I think you're dealing with someone that doesn't know what the heck they are doing. Keep us posted and good luck.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

deejay

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:06:58 pm
  Other than the DMV not having an abbrevation for Royal Enfield

Mine had to look it up manually in a book, it was not in their computer... but it turned out to be, "ENFLD"

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:45:54 pm
Because "it's an import"? Sounds like a load of bunk to me. Do you suppose Yamaha owners have any problems?
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:20:09 pm
  Other than the DMV not having an abbrevation for Royal Enfield

Mine had to look it up manually in a book, it was not in their computer... but it turned out to be, "ENFLD"

In Ohio it's "Royal".

And GBaker - it has to pass the federal regulations for year 2000.  Seriously doubt the inspectors would even know what to look for.  If it has a catalytic insert or "hot tube" in the muffler the argument would be yes for 2000.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:24:32 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

abe

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:22:12 pm
Having imported a bike from China myself (CJ750) and been through every imaginable scenario with Customs and DMV, you just have a bonehead your dealing with.  Once the original title in the states was issued the Fed papers have been satisfied.  You are right about having every Benz in AZ prove the same.  Time for him to prove its not.

abe...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 03:18:01 pm
This is complete BS, but we hear about it every once in a while. First let us assume that it is a legitimate bike. You can tell easily by the VIN number (17digits) starting with MBFF and the DOT tags in the tool box or under the seat in the case of an Electra. Next if the guy wants be a real ass he can go to the NHTSA data base and he will find that REM is an approved importer and the bike is federally certified. You may have to get the bike an emissions   test (some counties in AZ require this, especially when you register an out of state bike), but they cost less than $40. Further more Classic Motorworks is a licensed distributor in AZ. Often times just going to a different DMV office clears up the issue.
On the other hand if it a gray market bike and is not labeled and numbered correctly you are on your own. The DMV can always call us at 1-800-201-7472
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:05:11 pm
Kevin,

It's not a gray market bike. It has a DOT sticker, its issued from CMW, and all the numbers match.

They guy just didn't know to look in the toolbox... and I didn't know to tell him. I'll go back, probably tomorrow and I think it will all get settled quickly.

I'll let you know how it goes!

geoffbaker

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 07:46:57 pm
Well, I'm now the happy owner of a 2000 RE that is legally stickered, registered, titled and inspected in the state of Arizona.

It wasn't easy though. I showed the guy the toolbox, and he came back and told me that that proved EPA compliance, not DOT safety compliance, and tha I would need a level II inspection. I got in line and waited, and eventually went into the office, where I got talking to another inspector who said "Let me look at it" and he obviously liked bikes - and eventually he said it was good enough, and the other guy signed off on it.

The rest was a breeze! Thanks for the help!

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:49:42 pm
 We can thank the Chinese for this type of treatment. They have imported so many illegal bikes into the US (with no federal intervention, in fact a friend of mine who is in the vehicle testing arm of the EPA says that when they have complained to headquarters in Washington they are told to look the other way)The individual states are the only area where enforcement is happening. The NHTSA (National HIghway Transportation Safety Administration ) keeps an online data base of who is legal and who isn't and apparently your guy wasn't aware of it.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

abe

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 03:40:19 am
Kevin you are right on about that, they are producing bikes that aren't at all what they say they are, and ripping people off here in the states with a lot of garbage that will kill you if you aren't careful. 

abe.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:25 pm
It is interesting to follow all of the rules to the letter only to realize that the people who make the rules could care less.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LJRead

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:54:05 am
A little off topic, but we have a rental agent here who rents out about a dozen Chinese scooters and can't keep them running as they have so many mechanical problems. Also, another guy rents a sort of dune buggy that tours the island and they are from China and he can't keep them running either.

My impression is that India is way ahead, and that the Chinese have a plethora of very small manufacturers with very low standards.  They are very anxious to sell stuff, but haven't yet learned that if you want a good business you have to back it up.  There are probably some business men from the U.S. who may help in some cases, but I understand the quality is shocking. 

With the U.S. Gov. they are probably so heavily over burdened that they couldn't keep up with things if they had to.  Look at the beef packing house scandal and the fact that there were apparently no official meat inspectors keeping an eye out.  This global business expansion is still in its infancy.

geoffbaker

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:11 pm
Continuing off topic,

If we don't do something about Chinese trade - and trade practices - they will own us in ten years.

People complain about NAFTA and illegal immigration, especially down here in Tucson, but I say that we could give every Canadian and Mexican a US passport and free medical care for life and it still wouldn't affect our economy the way current trade with China is simply bankrupting us....

Who was it who said "Free trade with free countries...?"