Author Topic: Time for a wash  (Read 2138 times)

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
on: March 11, 2008, 03:07:38 pm
Well, good weather is finally coming, and it's time to wash some winter grime and salt off my bike. The owners manual makes the preparation process sound almost surgical! I can't wash it if the engine is warm (after riding to the car wash), but I would have to wait for the pipes to cool anyway so I can slip a little baggie over the end!

Anybody out there just simply wash it? Obviously I don't want to blast the bike at the highest pressure, but what if I didn't tape over the ignition key hole?

Peter
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:40 pm
     Pressure is the problem. I only use the car wash for particularly dirty bikes such as dirt bikes that have been run in the mud. If the bike is greasy you can use any bike wash, or even Simple Green -a cleaning product found in grocery stores. Use a sponge and mild soapy water. Wash and rinse under a gently running garden hose with no nozzle. The problem is that no matter what you do the cleaning process will infiltrate the cleaner(s) past any seals into the movable parts of the frame. This includes steering,  swing arm,  and wheel bearings, brake and lever pivots and the brakes them selves, and chain rollers. Not to mention electrical connections. Regular wipe downs are better than a major wash. When you must wash try to minimize contact with the above mentioned points. Go for a short ride immediately after. Lube the chain NOW, as well as any thing else that pivots. I don't worry about the exhaust because it is not up swept and the ride will take care of any small amount of water. The salt is another issue. It must be washed off. That should be done every time. Salt does nasty stuff to metal. Heavily waxing  the bike   minimizes salt damage and makes it easier to clean. Between major washes you can use any of the bike detail sprays. Spray on and wipe off. It's easy and effective to keep the bike clean and protected.

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:10:38 pm
Perfect, Vince, thanks! That's exactly what I needed
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f