Author Topic: Free Flowing Pipe Is On The Way - It's On Now - First Impressions  (Read 8645 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Finally, I went ahead and ordered the classic exhaust.  It's due here on the 11th, and so is warm weather!  I'm really looking forward to getting this mounted on the bike.  I already have it jetted a bit rich, so we'll have to see the plug color after a dozen miles or so.

You guys that already have this pipe on your bikes, what was your first reaction to what it did for your Bullet?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:00:33 pm by fredgold52 »
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:52:39 pm
Couldn't hear any of the ticks,knocks and rattles anymore!
Naw, it sounds good and looks like it belongs on there.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Blackthou

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:01:00 pm
The engine seemed to breathe as opposed to suffocating, acceleration had a sporty feel but I did the Amal carb conversion at the same time. Noise is superb. Sounds like a Classic as well as looking like one.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:13:55 pm
  Don't be too surprised if it doesn't fit too well.  You may have to bend the front mounting bracket, or as in my case, cut it and reweld.  Also watch for leakage at the muffler/header connection.  You will be pleased with the result in any case.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:25:48 pm
Fred I got the finned exhaust clamp too, helps cool the bike and looks great. the chrome started peeling so i sent it back and they cmw sent me a new one. i am also going to try the kreem blue shield pipe protectant as long as i have a new pipe. it is supposed to also keep the pipe cooler and prevent blueing
bob
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:16 pm
looks great, i havent noticed a performance difference but i have been having problems that may be hindering that. The previous post about somewhat of a poor fit is correct. I had to bent the mounting bracket to get the muffler to reach the down tube from the head, it fits well now and you can not tell that the mount was bent. I also removed the baffle, i think it sounds great but my neighbors hate me for it.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:12:52 am
Three things immediately.

1) Bike looked much more old 50's style
2) Bike really sounded like a proper thumper
3) Bike actually seemed to leap forward in comparison to its original performance when out for its first ride. Really was more lively.
Even better once carb was jetted to suit too.

Great move to lose the MZ style long exhaust!!!!!!  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:38:04 am
The bracket for the muffler did not fit.  I took some aluminum flat stock and made my own.  Drilled it with extra holes for that "racy" look and polished it by hand.  I still felt that the new muffler was restricted so I went with the small megaphone from JC Whitney.  It is loud but it opened her up.  I also have the K&N air filter(cone type) which I feel helped her breath better.  Rejetting will al;most be a must and watch for "pinging" in hot weather which usually can be rectified by timing advance.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
I mounted the new exhaust this morning before golf.  Observations during mounting:
1.  Yes the front mount on the header pipe needed to be bent a bit.  The chrome flakes off almost immediately when you bend it.
2.  The short muffler wouldn't clamp down on the header pipe firm enough.  Stripped out the small metric bolt (knew it would do that) and replaced it with a larger US bolt that had to be screwed into the clamp holes.  Cranked down on that and now the muffler is solid on the pipe.

Observation while riding:
1.  The engine does seem to like this system much better.  It breathers easier and spins more freely.
2.  Acceleration seems better but that could be due to the sound.
3.  The sound is great.  Quiet at idle and low speed take off, but will get real snarly when the throttle is twisted.

Overall:  I think the system is a good buy.  It is better looking, sounding and running - and that's alot of better for $180.  For sure a top mod needed by most any Bullet.

I am keeping my stock system in case I want to go back to silent running some day.

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
I did the same some time ago, with the same observations. I slotted the pipe bracket in addition to bending it, but it still needs a whack with a dead blow hammer to get into the exhaust port. I'd think by now that they'd be made to fit, but evidently this is a rite of passage. Next time it's off I'll slot the rear pipe bracket as well, maybe I won't need the hammer after that.

My muffler bracket needed some serious bending to miss the swingarm. The muffler doesn't really grip the pipe either. Same solution, a real bolt.

And same results; the exhaust is now louder than the intake and has a proper thumper sound instead of a steam engine sort of chuffing, it seems to spin up more freely, and generally seems happier. Despite the hand-fitting required, it's a pretty nice piece of goods and well worth doing. The pancake K&N is a nice complement.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
I mounted the new exhaust this morning before golf.  Observations during mounting:
1.  Yes the front mount on the header pipe needed to be bent a bit.  The chrome flakes off almost immediately when you bend it.
2.  The short muffler wouldn't clamp down on the header pipe firm enough.  Stripped out the small metric bolt (knew it would do that) and replaced it with a larger US bolt that had to be screwed into the clamp holes.  Cranked down on that and now the muffler is solid on the pipe.

Observation while riding:
1.  The engine does seem to like this system much better.  It breathers easier and spins more freely.
2.  Acceleration seems better but that could be due to the sound.
3.  The sound is great.  Quiet at idle and low speed take off, but will get real snarly when the throttle is twisted.

Overall:  I think the system is a good buy.  It is better looking, sounding and running - and that's alot of better for $180.  For sure a top mod needed by most any Bullet.

I am keeping my stock system in case I want to go back to silent running some day.

fg52,

Great news. Congrats on the install!

We ought to have a thread with .wav or .mp3 recordings of our exhaust notes!

Matt

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Sounds great! Can you tell me what jets you used, and do you think that's what you'll stick with? I'm plenty interested.
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Sewerman.

"Watch for 'pinging' in hot weather that can usually be rectified by timing ADVANCE"?

Retard perhaps as over advancing creates kick-back and stress to piston crown and big/small ends (wrist pin in US speak?)

The jets I got from a certain UK supplier (H's) after I fitted my freeflow exhaust system and a K & N filter were as follows:-

Main Jet       120
Needle Jet    P0   (Richer 500cc)
Pilot Jet         27.5

I was lucky with my FULL freeflow system as I got a brand new complete unused set-up from eBay (although not the best chrome in the world) for the equivalent of $60 which I considered very reasonable!!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:12:39 am by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
$60 for this set up is a steal, LSM.  Nice going! :)

Cowboy, my jetting is 120 main, 27.5 pilot and the needle all the way up in the slide.  I may need to get a bigget/richer needle/jet and a richer slide.  I'll have to see when the weather settles down a bit.  But, for now it runs very well like this.

I also have fitted the K&N filter inside the air box, so this thing breathes well on both ends.  Very nice sound combination - the sucking/droning from the air box and the more satisfying boom from the muffler.  This bike just gets more perfect for me every day.  I am so happy I got into Royal Enfield. :)

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
I've got the same airbox / pipe setup and nearly the same jetting as you, Fred.  Except that I've currently got a #30 pilot jet installed.  It may be slightly too rich but the bike starts and idles better in this cooler weather.  I expect I'll have to switch to a #27.5 as soon as the weather warms up!
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.