Author Topic: Spoke torque question  (Read 15472 times)

geoffbaker

Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 05:43:45 pm
Yeah, I guess we did say the same thing.  I can see having a spoke torque wrench for initial spoking of a wheel, but for minor tuning up of already spoked wheels,  maybe not so necessary

Actually, the torque wrench is even better for correcting a very common error... OVER tensioning of spokes.

It's very easy to try to fix a wheel and either overtighten a whole range of spokes or overtighten the WRONG spokes, which just makes the problem worse. Then you overtighten the opposite spokes, again... creating a serious tension area in the wheel, even if it remains roughly in true.

A torque wrench is a built in limiting device which prevents this...

Better, when facing a difficult wheel, to lower off the tension all round, and then bring it back up uniformly, and then isolate, and fix, any wobbles...

As I said earlier, this is my first trial of a torque wrench designed for spokes. I'll keep using it and checking, and report back if I find any negatives...

So far, so good, though.

LJ: I missed this earlier...

The question is, when all the spokes are at the same torque (48 inch lbs for example) is the wheel true?

The answer of course, is NO! I had to tighten some and loosen others to bring it into true. There was one significant wobble which needed immediate correction, and a slight swing over about half the arc of the wheel, which was not as bad. I fixed both. The question is did it save time and improve overall accuracy? I'd say yes. After using the spoke torque wrench to run around the wheel three times, tightening slowly and evenly, I trued the wheel completely, which took perhaps another five minutes. It's now within 1/16 of an inch of true throughout the wheel, which I think is pretty good for a motorcycle wheel. That's horizontally; vertical looked perfect throughout.

What with the truing, checking the brakes, changing the tires and tubes, I'm getting pretty good at taking these wheels off!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:54:25 pm by geoffbaker »

LJRead

Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 08:03:55 pm

Very nice information Goeff!  Very pleased to have a thorough discussion of such an important item.  The clinching argument of the danger of over tensioning is something I didn't even consider.

If you have a link to your torque wrench seller, this would be appreciated too, or was it the one you already gave?- I will be having five wheels to keep in tune, so you've convinced me of its need.

Again thanks,

Larry

geoffbaker

Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:25 pm
I got mine off ebay. :)

Just type in "spoke torque wrench" and see what happens!

Here's an excel link
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/133/4663/ITEM/Excel-Spoke-Torque-Wrench.aspx

Don't know about a website for excel.

American made FASST wrenches:
http://www.fasst.info/products/adjwrench.shtml

Twice the cost!

One version of fasst is pretensioned to 48 inch pounds. The other is adjustable, like the excel.

I preferred the idea of an adjustable, that way I can start lower (say at 40), check the true, and then bring it up slowly. Again, less chance of overtightening.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:52:26 am
One point that I would like to bring up about replacing spokes is that the nipples, and the holes in the rim, come in different sizes.  Make sure that the spoke nipples are the correct size for holes in the rim.

I spoked a wheel one time and the nipples started pulling through the holes because they were too small.  Expensive lesson learned!
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 02:34:03 pm
 :D  I had mine tuned to c sharp
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

geoffbaker

Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 03:58:00 pm
Thanks for the tip SRL, I'll keep that in mind when ordering new spokes (hopefully, not for a long time!). My bike came with four spare spokes (does this mean the PO was breaking them, I wonder?)

Dogbone, c sharp is  better than B Flat, right? :P