Author Topic: Major dramas ... rear brake locked up!!!  (Read 3421 times)

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
on: August 18, 2011, 11:07:32 am
Hi all,

Just want to let you all know.... today when I was travelling 60km/h, the car in front slowed, so I applied my rear brake and it totally locked up and stayed locked up even when I let go... I fell off and rolled, luckily no injuries and not much traffic at the time. Should have seen my skid mark... about 30 meters long!  :o

Some nice blokes help me get the bike off the road. If it wasn't for them, I'd be stuck in the middle of the road, as the bikes rear wheel was still locked.

I found it was the bolt which stop the drum brake from spinning had deformed and must of slipped slightly causing the drum to spin slightly and hence, kept the lever in the on position.

I'm not sure whether I should refit it cause the plate on the drum is deformed slightly too.

I'll have to get a new washer for that bolt as well cause it is wonky.... When I tightened my chain, I always make sure everything is tight.... I don't know why the bolt has deformed the way it has!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:31:12 am by whoguy »
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:46:47 pm
Bummer!  Did the bolt loosen or was it some sort of defect?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:37 pm
 :o

Glad your ok,   that there is some screwed up stuff..  I would replace it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:25 pm
has happened to me
c5 2009 italy

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:09 pm
 Glad you are okay  Thanks for sharing your experience.  How many miles are on the bike?  Has the rear wheel ever been off before?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:28 pm
Scary stuff!  I'm glad you're OK.  I would definitely replace the brake backing plate and stud and brake shoes.  I've read the old posts and it's happened a few times but it's doesn't seem too common.  The bolts are stout enough that they shouldn't fail under normal operation but if they get loose there's a lot of force involved.  My theory is that the wheel nuts were loose enough for the axle to move which locked up the brake and then the stud was bent by the force imposed by the locked up brake and the loose nut.  How tight was your axle nut when you took it apart?

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:51 pm
my bolt was lost, but going slowly, the wheel has stopped,
the damage was less of yours,
but I was at sea, far from home, bring the bike home with a van cost me 250 euros.
Thanks R.E.
my c5 now has 10,000 KM
happened to me about everything that has happened in all your forum

very disappointed
c5 2009 italy

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:57:18 pm
lawsuit! :)

recall time.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:51:57 pm
My theory is that the wheel nuts were loose enough for the axle to move which locked up the brake and then the stud was bent by the force imposed by the locked up brake and the loose nut. 

How tight was your axle nut when you took it apart?

@Whoguy: 

That is pretty bad that the wheel locked up. Hope you are OK. 

Jartist's theory may be right. I agree with him to replace the parts and start fresh to be on the safe side. The RE nuts tend to become loose. They are better off with blue locktite on them.

Best wishes.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

rivers

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:19 pm
This may not apply, probably doesn't.  Any chance you over greased the axle or bearings? Contrary to logics if you get oil/grease on bake shoes they won't slip and not grip. It actually causes the opposite...They LOCK UP. Had this issue on cars/trucks before where the axle lube got past worn seals to contaminate the shoes. Touch the brakes an lock up RIGHT NOW. Have had to pop the clutch in reverse to free them up and limp home in first gear. or at lest till the next poorly planned stop sign.
Again prolly doesn't apply here but I'd  look for grease/oil contamination of the brake shoes at least to rule out that possibility.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:30 pm
Definitely not a new problem.  It happened on my 1954!

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:51:59 am
@Whoguy: 

That is pretty bad that the wheel locked up. Hope you are OK. 

Jartist's theory may be right. I agree with him to replace the parts and start fresh to be on the safe side. The RE nuts tend to become loose. They are better off with blue locktite on them.

Best wishes.

Another vote here for Jartist's theory and the blue LocTite.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 02:43:59 am
Thanks for all the info... I had 14600kms on the  bike and it's never had the back wheel off... I am changing the chain as I speak.... It could have been a tightening issue, but looking at the washer, it was all squished so I'm not sure that is the case... Just make sure all of you check it... I found that my rear brake became more and more sensitive... I thought it was sticking drums... but now I know it is the plate becoming more and more deformed.

Take care guys;)
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28:16 pm
I found that my rear brake became more and more sensitive... I thought it was sticking drums... but now I know it is the plate becoming more and more deformed.

You have made a very important point that is often overlooked. 

It is not always the loose nuts that are the cause of the problem but equally important are the alignment and shape of plate and drum. Even overtightening can deform some parts that can lead to sticking brakes or perhaps in your case it locked up. Let us know how are the new parts working on the bike.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5