Author Topic: Daughter Laid Her C5 Down / Not Hurt / Shifter Disconnected  (Read 4022 times)

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 05:28:58 am
Rather than quote a few in multiple replies I will offer this:

I got my daughter to emergency right away. After cleaning her road rash and taking four x-rays to confirm nothing was chipped, we were sent on our way. She has a total of sox square inches of road rash with small deep centers in both. Her left elbow and right hip rubbed the gravel. Nothing sprained. Despite the heat, we both wear protective gear. She said it was like falling off a skate board.

After taking off both the right and left hand side covers, the guys at Route 66 Custom Motorcycles bent the finger of the shifting rod back to straight and filed off a burr. Reassembly and new oil (my favorite synthetic), with one of the filters we carried sorted the main issue out. They also loosened the front end and shook the bike into alignment. With a little heat and black paint, the left hand foot peg is like new.

We were allowed to watch. They told stories and listened to ours. My daughter wad also encouraged not to out run her abilities.

I would tell you how little it cost but it may have been an act of kindness and other customers may get real rates. I have a real invoice but cannot believe their math. If they were real rates, I might just ride the 3000kms routinely to get all my work done there.

I cannot get over how tough the RE is. Nor can I believe how well the handle bars and foot pegs are placed to minimize cosmetic damage. The bike slid on it's left side and flipped to the right. The leading edge of the fender is scratched along with the usual bar end scrapes, clutch lever and mirror scrapes. Everything else is just dusty.

Back to the alignment, the mechanic loosened it up and knocked the front wheel against the side of his building. This with a "That ought'a do it... Looks right." and... well it looked right. He set it up in other ways too. After riding it today, my daughter says the handle bars are better placed than when she started the trip.

This bike is what we were promised: 85 mpg, 70mph all day, if it falls on it's right side, you can fix it by pushing it over on it's left. All this and people follow you into parking lots to ask questions and take pictures. This last feature is a problem when you really have to pee.

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 07:19:47 am
Wish you and your daughter a safe ride ahead. Glad that she is OK.

The picture below shows the notch that Vince is talking about - on the right side of crankcase.

thanks for the update on your daughter. I was afraid she might not want to ride any more. Those guy at the shop are golden, impressed upon her safety without nagging. Hope it took. And good on ya for always always dressing for the fall. Probably saved her from having a lot worse road rash.

wow, the gear picture is one great photo. That is the sharpest and best marked picture I have seen. Wished you had a whole tech manual with photos like that
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:25:20 am by iowarider »
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 12:44:59 pm
A dealer like this deserves the support of riders, not often that you hear of fair service.  :)
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 06:03:56 pm

A dealer like this deserves the support of riders, not often that you hear of fair service.  :)

+1 I went by there this week, nice clean shop and showroom.  There is a vintage motorcycle  museum just across the street that's a good place to visit also.  See the picture I posted in the photo gallery.

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:31:43 pm
+2.  Should I ever make it to that part of the country I'd have to stop in.

Scott