Author Topic: 011 B5  (Read 9664 times)

rivers

• Bulleteer
on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:46 am
I'm considering a new B5 but curious about specs. I know they're EFI, hyd lifters and electric start. Do they still have the kick start also or are they ES only?
Thanks,

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:45 am
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the B5 has kickstart.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:54 pm
If you get one i will officially be envious! ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Regards Robert.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:25:54 pm
Same engine as the C5 with the KS

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rivers

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:20 pm
Thanks for the reply folks. KS even as a back up is good. Since the subject header is somewhat generic regarding the B5 I don't feel bad about tweeking a thread I started.
Hows your cruising speeds? Yeah I know these things were designed for Brit back road bimbles(sp?)with a town every 5 miles. But since RE is making serious efforts to make them more  useable for modern roads...can ya cruise at 60mph.?I've got an iron barrel 05 that I'm gathering parts for so I can run at 60 for more than a few minutes before a melt down. Still gonna continue with that quest but a new properly broken-in B5 that can handle 60 all day w/o major $$$ mods w/o seizing looks pretty tempting.
Thanks,
Joe

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:47 pm
Hows your cruising speeds? Yeah I know these things were designed for Brit back road bimbles(sp?)with a town every 5 miles. But since RE is making serious efforts to make them more  useable for modern roads...can ya cruise at 60mph.?I've got an iron barrel 05 that I'm gathering parts for so I can run at 60 for more than a few minutes before a melt down. Still gonna continue with that quest but a new properly broken-in B5 that can handle 60 all day w/o major $$$ mods w/o seizing looks pretty tempting.
Thanks,
Joe
The bikes with the new UCE motor have no problem with 60 mph cruising.  They can handle 70 as well, although 60 is more comfortable.  You don't need any mods to do this on the new bikes.  They are good motors!

Eamon
Eamon

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:24:23 am
I cruise pretty consistently around 65 with an occasional bump up to 70 or so with the G5. I ran it up to 84 the other day just to see how fast it would go. That was it. My speedo is pretty accurate above 40.

Just get it broken in before you start going that fast. Get at least 1000 miles on it before you cruise up there. An occasional shot before then isn't going to hurt, but don't hold it there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:05:02 pm
Hi Rivers,

My '11 B5 is 670miles old. I can do 60mph with ease and comfort. I expect to reach 70mph smoothly around 1000mi.

Break in the bike with patience. Also get to know the bike by riding as much and as often as you can. This is bike yoga - to become one with your bike. :)

Raj.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:57:04 pm
I got my B5 on Aug 8th. I have around 650 miles on it. Have hit 70 and it was just fine. It wasa very brief 70 but seemed pretty good. I LOVE MY B5!!!!!!!!
Signature

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:42 pm
The mantra is to gradually increase and hold higher revs thus putting the engine through heat cycles.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:53:05 pm
Hey Rivers,

I rode a UCE belonging to my neighbor,,,It is a Bullet,,, only smoother with more power and less maintenance.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 02:07:23 am
I personally think pretty highly of the B5
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:10:10 am
I'd love the B5 anyday. It's got the old world charm and stability.

rivers

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:34:32 am
Thanks for the feed back folks. I really like the idea of running 60-65 all day w/o annoying worrysome cooling off periods. Also the B5 has to be one of the most beautiful stock bikes ever.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:30 am
My B5 has about 700 miles up now and seems quite happy to sit around the 60-65 mph mark without a problem. I have not taken it over 70 mph yet that can wait till its more run in.

Wuwei

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:18:12 am
Newby here. Admiring REs from afar and the occasional sighting on the road. Seems like it might be my type of bike, or else I'm the right type for one. In any case, can someone give me a short list of what makes the B5 different or point me to an earlier thread on this? I like the looks, the reported better stability at speed, and the kickstart feature. Also, what is the fuel tank capacity? Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:25:11 am by Wuwei »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:54:06 am
The B5 has the new UCE engine with electric and kickstart (pretty much identical to the 2011 C5/G5 engine) in a slightly modified version of the old bullet 350/500 frame. In fact a 1990's indian domestic 350 Bullet looks a lot like the B5.

Like all UCE engines the chain is on the right hand side and it has a 5 speed LHS gearbox and fuel njection. It has 19" wheels with old school square profile Avon tyres.

People like them because:
- they are basically an old school bullet with the new engine
- most accessories for the old iron bullets will bolt straight on
- they cost significantly less than a G5 or C5

They seem very popular though some people dislike the valanced square rear guard and slightly Bollywood metal tank badge. other people love those features.

On mine I fitted an upswept exhaust, removed the dual seat and fitted an unsprung trials style low solo seat and rack and also replaced the original tank badge with a solid brass one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:58:13 am by GlennF »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:15 am
Seems like it might be my type of bike, or else I'm the right type for one.

A test ride will tell either way  ;) ;D

Welcome aboard Wuwei.

Br. GlennF pretty much nailed it  ;) 8)
 let me add: put a pair of trail tires on one and they handle fire roads and rolling single track as well as a they do the twisties  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

britishbyproxy

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:07 am
1203 miles on my B5 as of tonight. Did the break in mileage properly, cruise at 65 all day. Put a windshield on mine to cut down on wind blast. Favorite bike of the 40 I've owned. Buy one. Now.
No, I don't ride a Harley; I like motorcycles.

Wuwei

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:37:48 pm
Thanks Glenn F for the good summary. I wonder why the price is so much lower? Any idea on the tank capacity? It would be nice to have a 200-mile range before needing to refill as I frequent really back roads where gas is not always readily available. I think I like the idea of old school tires. I find most of the current crop of 17" sportbike oriented tires less than good in the rain or other slippery conditions, compared to the old tires that have more tread pattern. What's routine maintenance like? Anything unusual?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 08:03:38 pm
Thanks Glenn F for the good summary. I wonder why the price is so much lower? Any idea on the tank capacity? It would be nice to have a 200-mile range before needing to refill

The B5 is cheaper because it is assembled with existing 350 spares. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It would've been my bike had the dealer gotten any in when I went to buy one. The tank capacity is the same as the rest, about 3.4 gallons which is more than adequate for 200 mile runs. I have done several. That is, if you fill it on the center stand. You'll lose about a .7 gallon (50 miles) if you fill it on the side stand. Normal routine maintenance; oil  and filter changes, chain adjustments, tire pressure, maintenance, etc. Unfortunately you will find it fun to work on, so you will be inclined to work on it more than you thought you would.
The hardest part is sticking to the break in drill. It's really important to have trouble free running gear. But the best way to do that is to find some twisty roads and ride. It takes the boredom out of puttering around the streets.
I'm not particularly happy with the stock tires, so I'm putting K70s on mine. But the price of tires for these bikes are reasonable enough not to be a burden, as are most of the parts.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:15 pm
That point was touted in a Brit mag I read on the C5: the low cost of spares & consumables. Pretty important consideration if you think of a bike in terms of its value for transportation and factor in life cycle costs.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:38 pm

let me add: put a pair of trail tires on one and they handle fire roads and rolling single track as well as a they do the twisties  ;)

Any suggestions?   I looked around and in classic profile tires there is really only the Mitas H02. Would the Mitas 100/90-19 TT 57T E07 fit ?

Thanks Glenn F for the good summary. I wonder why the price is so much lower? Any idea on the tank capacity? It would be nice to have a 200-mile range before needing to refill as I frequent really back roads where gas is not always readily available. I think I like the idea of old school tires. I find most of the current crop of 17" sportbike oriented tires less than good in the rain or other slippery conditions, compared to the old tires that have more tread pattern. What's routine maintenance like? Anything unusual?

As barenked says 200 miles is no problem if you fill on the center stand. Just do not fill on the center stand and then go park in the sun or on the side stand you will get excess fuel everywhere. Only center stand fill while on a road trip where you are going to use the fuel immediately.

If you are really intent on epic long rides without a toilet break you will need to fit an aftermarket  tank which you can pick up cheap enough from India online. As an example the one in the photo below is about 6-1/2 US gallons giving about a 350 mile range.

Maintenance is straightforward as we have hydraulic lifters, electronic ignition and fuel injection. Basically change the oil, adjust the chain as necesessary and occasionally check the spokes and any accessible bolts, nuts and screws to make sure nothing has vibrated lose.

Wuwei

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:35 am
So is 65 mpg a reasonable average? Is there some sort of warning light for low fuel, and when does it typically come on? Like the idea of the big tank. I commute about 35 miles each way and it is nice not to have to fill up every other day. I love driving and riding so for me 200 miles at a clip is pretty moderate--I have been known to do 400+ in a car without stopping.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 01:08:53 am
I've been averaging 75 mpg on my 2011 G5.

All of this includes the initial 300 mile 40 mph max break in thru my present 1300+ miles  and 65 mph speeds.  Most of my riding has been in the 45-55 mph range.

On the headlight nacelle to the lower right of the speedometer is a round faced multi light gage.
It includes the check engine light that glows for about 4 seconds while the computer boots up and a Low Fuel light.
The low fuel light on my bike flickers during braking after about 150 miles but at this distance it is normally off.  This 150 mile distance requires about 2 gallons of fuel to fill the tank.

Somewhere I read that the light really comes on after 3 gallons of fuel has been consumed so that would be at about 225 miles.
The tank holds about 3.8 gallons but RE recommends filling it before that is reached because the gasoline is the coolant for the fuel injectors fuel pump.

If you have a 400 mile butt you will just have to convince it that it needs to take a break and have a walk around every 150-200 miles.   ;D
There is no way my butt could sit on a motorcycle without a break every 100-150 miles and besides, IMO one cannot compare riding a motorcycle with driving a car.

Not only can you not move around much on a bike but for me, the mental concentration required while traveling at freeway speeds requires a rest too.  Besides, when riding, getting to some distant place is not the goal.  The pleasures and excitement of the ride is the goal and this includes stopping at places I would zoom past in a car just to have a look around.
  Reaching the place I'm headed to is nice but it also is the end of the fun of getting there.
More than once I've found that the thought of the ride home would be more fun than sitting around with my relatives.  :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:11:27 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Wuwei

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 04:45:16 pm
I agree it's best to take a break every few hours when riding, but it's nice to know you've got near a 200-mile range when you need it!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:28 pm
Filling with the bike on the center stand, the light comes on between 190 an 200 miles usually. Occasionally I get over 200. I generally get about 70 mpg, sometimes more. Although the owners manual lists the fuel capacity at 3.8 gal (14.5 liters) I read someplace else that it holds 3.4-3.5 gallons, which i use for my range calculations.
The reason starts with the fact that the Owners Manual is derived from the old Owners manual from the old iron barrel days and much of the info never got updated. Putting the fuel pump in the same old tank cost you that extra .4 gallons. Even the break in procedure is iron barrel based and should be updated for the different gearing and materials in the ECU engine. There are other anomalies in that manual that I can' think of off and.
65 MPH has proven to be a nice cruising speed for me.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 05:55:20 am
Just throwing up a photo of my 2011 B5 to give an idea what they look like with a solo seat, rack and engine bars ... just to give an idea how the valanced guards and 19 " wheels look with a solo setup.

I also fiited a screen but I unbolt it around town unless its raining (2 sec job to refit).

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 06:36:32 am
Just throwing up a photo of my 2011 B5 to give an idea what they look like with a solo seat, rack and engine bars ... just to give an idea how the valanced guards and 19 " wheels look with a solo setup.

I also fiited a screen but I unbolt it around town unless its raining (2 sec job to refit).
Yeah, that looks really sweet.  If I were buying today, the B5 would be the one!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ryanof

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 04:03:21 pm

Hey Glenn.
Can we see a better picture of  that rack on back?
Thanks

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 05:25:25 pm
What kind of seat is that?  Is it lower that stock?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:39 am
Quote from: ryanof
Hey Glenn.
Can we see a better picture of  that rack on back?
Thanks

Will try and upload one later. I think its just a C5 rack, my dealer had it in stock. It sits very low, only clears the fender in the middle by about 1/4" or less. Looks quite good that way and I like it,  but may be an issue if you are trying to use thick straps on something.

Quote from: holodeck
What kind of seat is that?  Is it lower that stock?

The seat is definitely lower by quite a bit.

The one pictured on m bike above is an unsprung seat (mounting off the shock brackets) for an iron bullet I ordered from Chawla in India.  It sits about 1/2" further back then it should but that actually lowers it even more once you take the front rubber off the frame mount.

The closest on the nfieldgear website is the "Classic Comfort Solo Seat" .

Just search for unsprung solo or trials seats, Hitchcocks have one, several Indian vendors have versions as well.

This is the Hitchcocks version (mounts differently to mine):

I do not think anyone makes a seat specifically for the B5. Indian 350/500 seats will be close for the B5 but be prepared for some minor mods to get an exact fit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:26:01 am by GlennF »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 03:01:02 am
Quote from: ryanof
Hey Glenn.
Can we see a better picture of  that rack on back?
Thanks

Ok found one that shows rack better ...