Author Topic: Is RE okey for me at 5'8''  (Read 7028 times)

josh

• Neophyte
on: March 09, 2008, 03:46:37 pm
Hi friends,

I plan to move in at Houston next month and want to celebrate it with a new RE clssic. I have always been a huge fan of RE. and dying to lay my hands on one of them.

I am 27 years old.
5'8"
140 lb

I was just wondering if RE would be ideal weight for me...

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:02:38 pm
    I don't think you'll have a problem at that heigth. I'm about 5'10" and the Classic fits me just fine. I find the bike quite comfortable to ride.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Dave C

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:11:47 am
See my post These guys here are the best testimonial. Awesome forum. Thought I might be going in blind on this choice, but I'm getting closer everyday. Thanks to all who chimed in.
I never gamble when I cheat at cards

Mr_Gently

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:04:38 am
I'm 5' 9 and the bike seems like a perfect fit.  I've got a solo seat, which is maybe a little lower than the stock bench seat.  I think a  person who is 5'8 would fit on a Bullet just fine.   

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:38:32 pm
I am 5'8.5" and cannot put both feet flat with the standard seat. I have added the "60's" seat and modified the mounting. Now I can flatfoot. Mine is an early 99 Bullet, some of the newer bikes may be shorter 8)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

abe

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:21:06 am
You will be fine and the bike will like you too, you can get a solo seat with a shorter spring in it and you will be sitting pretty.  Enjoy yourself life is short!

abe out :)

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39:20 pm
I'm 5'7",142 lb, and I can sit just fine on my new Deluxe-maybe not quite flatfooted,but it was on the centerstand ( I bought it yesterday without even riding one!) . I've had a bunch,from a 1980 Sportster that fit me very well, to a '71 Norton Commando that had me on tiptoe at stoplights. None of them were ever too big for me to handle,though.
   I did watch some guy on a fully-loaded Goldwing tip over last summer. He was making a very slow-speed turn in the parking lot,and over he went-*clunk*.  :D Lucky for him,there were a bunch of his co-workers around to help him get it back upright. I do not anticipate this being a problem with the RE ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:42:47 pm by jeep44 »
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:28:14 pm
i think at 5 ft 8" you may not be able to touch flat foot. I am 6 ft and was able to touch flat with about an icch between me and the seat. I have since installed a solo seat with 2 inch springs. If riding solo is an option for you i would consider this. I have probably5 or so inches between mtself and the seat now when standing. When you look at the bike the size it almost looks like a hardtail becuase of the downward sloping from the front to the rear. Once i get all combustion problem sorted out and the bike back together i will post some pictures if you are interested.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:22 pm
I would have thought you'd have been almost an ideal height for the Bullet. I am 6' 2" tall and am a bit large for it.
Remember when these bikes were designed in the UK it was at a time when we were all physically less tall than the 'average' now and of course this current size suits the Indian market as they tend to be smaller in stature than current European and US of A persons.  :)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

tmccarthy41

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 11:55:17 pm
I'm 5'7 135lbs. I sit  perfectly on my bullet 500 solo seat added. can flatfoot on ground just fine

go into a dealer and sit on one!
-Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:39:45 pm

go into a dealer and sit on one!

Hope you're not too heavy; you might squash him!!!!  ::)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:07:25 am
I am 5'8' and I fit perfect on my .  When I replaced my original tires with Avons the bike lowered approximately half an inch which made it fit even better and the handling improvement was immense.  My ol' SR500 was a good fit but my Bullet is even better!  Like it said earlier go to a dealer and sit on it, especially if she is GOOD LOOKIN"!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:25:35 pm
I'm 5' 7" ans 140. The bike is perfect. I wonder how some of the guys on this site, who are considerably larger, feel on the bike. It seems they would be cramped. I am even considering trying to move my solo seat back about an inch and adding highway pegs. The nice thing about being small, is that you get to really take advantage of the available power. A RE moving a 140-pound guy is a bit more brisk than one moving a 250-pound guy.When I really stand on it, my bike moves pretty good. I can keep up with anybody in normal riding situations (anything other than an outright race).

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 09:56:37 pm
   I just took delivery of mine today,and I've been running up and down the road with it,despite the cold. It fits me just fine-if anything,it feels a bit small (I'm used to much bigger bikes). I love this thing already! :D
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:01 pm
I hear ya Luoma!  Losing weight is the cheapest performance mod you can do.I guess it could be called"Ultra Slim Fast", The chocolaty goodness of less weight.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.