Author Topic: warranty question  (Read 3395 times)

monkey

• Scooter
on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:11 am
Pardon me if this has been asked before, I did a search, but didn't find anything in the forum.

If I do my services myself (300 mile, etc.) and log them in my owner's manual with receipts for oil, filters, etc., does that satisfy my warranty requirement?

Prolly a stupid question, but I don't want to screw myself if I do my own service but have a warranty issue down the road in the next two years.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:25:48 pm
Keep records and all should be fine.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:45 pm
It does as long as you did everything correctly and can prove it. I have some of my services done by the dealer. It helps keep them in business and they find things you might miss. In my case it could have been lethal.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:34 am
My dealer said that if I logged the maintenance mileage etc. in the owners manual and kept the receipts of the parts bought my bikes warranty would stay in effect.

As a side note, you won't find an oil filter for your bike at any automotive stores.  It is only available from this site.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/oil-change-kit-g-and-c5.html
(note, this filter is only for the fuel injected UCE bikes).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:23:59 am
My dealer said that if I logged the maintenance mileage etc. in the owners manual and kept the receipts of the parts bought my bikes warranty would stay in effect.

As a side note, you won't find an oil filter for your bike at any automotive stores.  It is only available from this site.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/oil-change-kit-g-and-c5.html
(note, this filter is only for the fuel injected UCE bikes).

It actually is available from other sources (at a considerable discount). Part number 500613. You didn't hear it from me  ;)
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:42 am
It actually is available from other sources (at a considerable discount). Part number 500613. You didn't hear it from me  ;)
+1

But nFIeld occasionally prices them more appropriate for what they are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:42:54 am
Thanks for the heads up Fox but I really don't mind giving my support to NfieldGear.  After all, after the break in the recommended filter change distance is something like 3750 miles so I don't think that will break me.

Come to think about it, I ordered their "kit" shortly after I got my G5 so I have several filters on hand that ought to keep me riding for over 10,000 miles.  That ought to keep me happy for at least a year.  :D

Also by buying from NfieldGear perhaps in a small way I'm helping it to survive in the U.S. ? :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:19 am
+1.  It's a few dollars more and won't break my bank.  I don't mind spending a little of my cash to keep a good business running.  CMW has done a lot to support Enfields in the US over the years and has really gone the extra mile to stand behind their product for a few of our friends here who've had major warranty work on their UCE bikes.  If you're on a budget buy what you have to but I'll buy mine at my local dealer.  That way he makes money and so does CMW.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:42 am
+1.  It's a few dollars more and won't break my bank.  I don't mind spending a little of my cash to keep a good business running.  CMW has done a lot to support Enfields in the US over the years and has really gone the extra mile to stand behind their product for a few of our friends here who've had major warranty work on their UCE bikes.  If you're on a budget buy what you have to but I'll buy mine at my local dealer.  That way he makes money and so does CMW.

Scott

Big+1 to what Br. D.S. said.

If my dealership (Vince's Motorcycle Store, Olympia, WA. ;) ) doesn't have the part or widget on hand that I want he adds it to his regular order from CMW.

CMW sold a part, the dealer got a cut and my final cost including tax is the same or usually lower than ordering direct+shipping.

Doing business in this fashion means that we know what we are getting and we have the backing of the dealer and CMW should there be some problem.

We also get a chance to swap lies and gossip exchange information and ideals with our dealers while sucking up free coffee enjoying the ambiance  and mutual wisecracks personal attention that only an owner operated shop can deliver.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:16:39 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:16:52 am
When I bought an oil filter from my shop, they charged more than the nField catalog showed, and added the usual state tax.  When I ordered a small voltmeter from them, they did the above and added the shipping charge.  Same thing for the headpipe gasket ($7, are you kidding me?  The Ducati version is $3.) 

I too believe in supporting my dealer but sometimes I get ticked off by the small stuff.  If the order is part of a larger order then I think there is no shipping charge.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:45 pm
I suppose it's the dealers choice what they charge and if they charge shipping :(

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:01:59 pm
Only one small correction. The oil change kits are sold by specific model because of the O-rings etc. The actual filter for the UCE bikes are the same (including part number) as the oil filters for the Lean-Burn or AVL engines.

As an aside be very careful about who you buy filters from. OEM filters are not as easy to get as the Internet may make one believe. There are LOTS of filters available from India that are "just as good", "made by the same company" or even in RE packaging that are NOT OEM filters. We have spent a lot of time over the years looking at filters from India and other places. Unless they come directly from the factory you are taking a risk. There are in fact big differences.

If you are concerned about the price of a genuine filter, go to the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW, Harley, Triumph etc. store and get a price. You may feel much better.

As for buying from your dealer I cannot recommend it enough. If you pay a bit of shipping with them you will pay with us anyway. If you buy from a dealer you also have recourse. Good luck with that on EBay. You want that dealer to be there for you when you need something. These guys aren't exactly Wal-Mart, they are slugging it out on a daily basis trying to make a living and this is a brutal business. They are the back-bone of America just like other small business people.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:45 pm
As an aside be very careful about who you buy filters from. OEM filters are not as easy to get as the Internet may make one believe. There are LOTS of filters available from India that are "just as good", "made by the same company" or even in RE packaging that are NOT OEM filters. We have spent a lot of time over the years looking at filters from India and other places. Unless they come directly from the factory you are taking a risk. There are in fact big differences.

Oil filtration is no place to cut corners.

To reliably filter out particles to big to pass harmlessly between our engines parts. we need a good filter from a maker that can hold the tolerances constantly.

Most of the big stuff most of the time just does not cut it.
Here is a link to handy inches to microns converter.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/inches-to-microns.htm

See what the oil gurus have to say about filters at B.I.T.O.G.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:57:39 pm
Just my opinion but sleeve bearings have quite a bit of clearance in them which allows fairly large particles (.001 inch, 25.4 microns) to pass thru.
They usually have a soft Babbitt or lead coating that can also allow larger hard particles to embed themselves and sink down below the surface where they will only cause light abrasion.

Rolling element bearings like ball, roller and needle bearings can be damaged by steel particles as small as .0005 inch  (12.7 micron).
Hydraulic valve lifters also use very tight slip fits in their internal components which are less than .0005 inch.

As the Royal Enfield  UCE uses rolling element bearings and hydraulic valve lifters the need to have a quality oil filter is very important.

Like most engines that use a good pressurized oil system with a filter in it, the UCE's filter has a bi-pass to allow oil to continue to flow when the filter becomes clogged.  This bi-pass in the UCE is the spring loaded parts in the filter cap and they are designed to be used with the right filter.
 The unfortunate side of this bi-pass is that it allows unfiltered dirty oil to get to all of the critical components in the engine if the filter becomes plugged.

That's why its most important to make sure the correct filter is used and that it is changed at the recommended intervals.
Saving $5.00 on an oil filter at the expense of a number of $20 parts is a bad idea.

I probably should mention that when I write some of my posts I'm thinking of the folks who are new to working around engines and doing their own servicing.
I figure that if they understand the reasons for some of this stuff it will stick with them better. :)
I realize many of you guys already know this stuff so please try to understand where I'm coming from. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:59:45 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

jbutler18

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:11 pm
Speaking of warranty, I did a search and didn't see anything, but does it void my warranty if I was to throw the EFI silencer on my G5 instead of the stock?

Also, the closest RE dealer to me is about 1 hour and 30 mins away. If I was to get some of the scheduled services done at a local shop this isn't an RE dealer will that still be ok to go towards my warranty?

Thanks