Author Topic: Sublime moment  (Read 2188 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:23 am
I have been having some trouble this year with "Ennie". I had ridden her to the Nickerson gathering but had problems on the way home with starvation and power loss. This had been some sort of intermittent problem.

Well, this weekend I took matters in hand and systematically followed the fuel flow and followed Vince's advice as well. I pulled and/or inspected and cleaned the jets in the Amal. I replaced the fuel line (well, part of it. More later) I replaced the inline fuel filter. I drained and flushed the tank and mirror inspected the inside and then reassembled. I removed, disassembled and cleaned the petcock.

But now I had no gas, as I had used my gas can to drain off the "bad" fuel.

So I rolled her down the hill and along the flat to the corner gas station (about 3 blocks). Along the way a friend on his bike stopped to ask (with a wry grin) if I had run out of gas. We chatted a bit. A bit further along I got envious and supportive comments from a trio of HD 1%'er's  living in a storefront, their bikes conspicuously parked just inside the door. And finally, as  I rolled her up to the pump, another guy (he restored a Triumph) razzed me about my "retro" bike, (whereas I had to reeducate the fella'). And during this conversation I found that there's another green iron barrel in town.

Three blocks isn't far but I certainly had a lot of interactions in that distance. This weekend was Ennie's weekend. I had her rear rim shod with a new 3.50 x 10 Dunlop K70 on Friday and Sunday was shaping up to be a real good one (seeing as my weekend was split by a harried workday on Saturday). I had made a great brunch for my wife and I, tackled this pesky fuel problem and was about to test the work. I had new 1/4" fuel lines, but I was suspect of the loose fit on the petcock so I had tossed on a small clamp for backup.

I popped the cap on the fuel tank, added a couple of quarts of Regular and checked to see if the reassembled petcock was dry. "Yep!" So I filled her with 3.65 gallons, and began the starting ritual. Primed the cab with the tickler. "Whoops!" The petcock is not !/4"! I hurriedly got a screwdriver out of the toolkit and reefed on that clamp. Whew!

I knew the one percenters were looking around the corner of the building... I brought her up to TDC, and a skosh. Turned the key, and with one swift swing of the boot...she was thumpin'. Hoorah! A short ride up the street and a few extra blocks to warm her up before heading home to properly suit up.

It seems all the other fuel connections are 1/4" except the petcock. Luckily I hadn't destroyed the old fuel line in removing it, so now I have a bit of the old and a bit of the new.

Ear plugs in. Half helmet with goggles. Black leather jacket, made in Pakistan ("Gunga Din!"). I was dressed for a ride.

Motored downtown, the motor warming and loosening up a bit (I adjust the valves hot). I was almost through the downtown section when ... "What's that?" A green iron barrel!  It's pull to the curb and intro time. Newbie owner. Box stock 2007 Bullet. He knows nothing of the forum, or of Nfield Gear, or of the support available. I will get him hooked up. He uses it as his daily rider. Bought it July 4th? I think he may have gotten it from Vince...

Done kicking tires, Ennie starts on the first kic, her shorty exhaust sounds note echoing off the downtown brick buildings. The other guy's bike doesn't sound as good, he says. ;D ;D ;D

I enjoy going through the gears as I head east to a friend's, but first.. a ride in the foothills.

Up past the school, the houses getting more scarce. Meadows, then pastures. Horses, cows, a llama... the aroma. There's something special about an open face helmet with goggles. The wind, an errant bug or too snaps you in the chin or cheek.

The road rises sharply. No hesitation from Ennie. None. She pulls hard and evenly up the steep climb. Straight up the hill, like looking up a giant ski jump. I wave at a guy in his yard as he pauses to look at the bike with the burbly exhaust. Thumpers have a unique note , y'know. I ease the throttle as I crest the hill. I have to turn left ahead. I search the tarmac for loose gravel. None, as I downshift and lean into the 90 degree left. That new tire just grabs the pavement and my afternoon shadow reveals a classic cornering form. 8)

Traversing across the foothills now, due east. My face is hurting from my grin. My round cheeks are getting whipped in the wind. I tossed my head back and let out a great, hardy, triumphant, "Ha, Ha, Ha!"

Ennie and I are in the perfect element, a two lane rural black top, the wind at my back and the speedo at 50, the exhaust note is empowering, the farm scents are stimulating and the wind in the face is invigorating. I let out another hearty laugh.

A sublime moment, indeed.

"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:34 pm
    This story about you & Ernie made my morning. I LOVE stories like this one.

Reminds me of the last time I got to ride with 4 old ex-club members on my little shovel (I ride mostly alone now). I was riding the centerline & after about 3 miles I was feeling so good I just screamed at the top of my lungs at my friend to my right ('66 Panshovel) "I F**King LOVE this"!!  ;D

When I'm in that nursing home ;>) I have 'all those days' to remember & I'm also glad I finally gave in to a lifelong urge to have a "BritBike" after over 50 years of harleys. I love this little Enfield.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:55 pm
Just awesome!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:14:47 pm
A great account of something we've all experienced and hope to again  I was grinning with you as I read it!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:20 pm
I'm envious.  I'm in knee deep in a carb battle.  Or so I suspect.  My issue is also intermittent.

Was the end issue for you a fuel line problem at the petcock?

Great story, jest2dogs.  Glad you got the first kick-over in front of the crowd!

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:35:27 pm
Just another great ride on an Enfield. Good Story. Did he guy on the green one follow you up? Or did he just miss out?

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:50 pm
Thanx for that,J2D.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:14 pm
Stories like this are why most of us ride. ;).Wish I lived up north and had all those wooded backroads to take.. :'( 8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:26 pm
Almost like being there...thanks,J2D...nothing like riding a well tuned Royal Enfield,eh?
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 06:15:49 am
Just felt compelled to share. Glad you all could go for the ride.

Boggy, what carb do you have. I suspect that leftover gas from the winter (never running the tank dry) plus, perhaps, condensation and whatever...well, junk builds up.

I originally found a little junk and water in the bowl. Then I pulled the main jet and ran a thin piece of wire in and around it and pieces big (flake) and small (rust dust) started to appear. Judicious use of carb cleaner. Pulled the pilot screw (I have an Amal) and fished a thin wire in there and shot more cleaner as well as the slide area (I did not remove carb from the head.

I dumped most of the gas out into a spare container and the last two quarts ot so I swished around then I turned it upright and set it on the tailgate of my truck. I unscrewed the petcock and let the rest flush into an open can. Lots crap in that last. I then used some of the spare can gas to do a final tank flush. I inspected the tank with a small inspection mirror and disassembled the petcock and cleaned the components with carb cleaner. I reassembled the threaded portion to the tank using a little plumbers sealant with teflon (Paste. Not plumber's tape). New fuel lines and inline filter. (The petcock on my 2006 model is not a 1/4" spigot but smaller! The rest of the fuel line components, filter and carb inlet are all 1/4".)

If you have a particle or particles loose in your fuel line it can intermittently foul things up as they float or drift around. Old gas is as bad as fouled or dirty gas. With all the new additives gas can go "off" (bad) in just a few weeks.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:22:08 pm
I fill a five gallon can every Sunday,with ETHANOL FREE gas,and add 2 1/2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to it...then I top off my bikes after every ride,to within 3/4" or so of the cap...gotta leave a little room for expansion...ETHANOL is the sworn enemy of cheap Indian rubber...it will eat gaskets and manifolds,and actually ATTRACTS moisture from the atmosphere...keeping the tank as full as practical also keeps rust from forming in the tank...avoid that stuff if you can!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 04:19:20 pm
Pulled the pilot screw (I have an Amal) and fished a thin wire in there and shot more cleaner as well as the slide area (I did not remove carb from the head.

If you are having trouble with idle mixture adjustments in an Amal, there is a tiny hole behind the idle mixture screw that gets clogged easily. Remove the screw and take a single strand of electrical wiring and shove it into the hole and make sure you can push it into the carb barrel. You may have to wiggle it around a bit to get it to go through the port. It should be fairly easy to get the wire through.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com