Author Topic: Turn signal and Speedometer issues  (Read 2008 times)

newtotexas

• Scooter
on: August 15, 2011, 06:26:11 am
Gents,

I'd be grateful for some guidance with a couple of problems. First, my speedometer shoots up to 80-85 any time I go above 40 or so. I already searched old posts and am going to take a whack at tightening it up, but any ideas if that doesn't do the trick?

While I'm in there I'm need to figure out what's going on with my left front turn signal. It stays on, not blinking, just a solid light. All others work fine. I looked around in there and found the connection for the left blinker. It's intact. When I pulled it apart the light went out. I also found what I think is the ground (I know next to nothing about electrics. The other side of nothing). Anyway, a loose black wire with a thin flat male end looking thing. Did I say I don't know anything about electrics? Does that attach somewhere? I've got the diagram from the owner's manual and what I was told was a shop diagram, but not having any experience, I'm having some trouble making heads or tails of it. I got some of that dielectrode grease or whatever yall mentioned on some other posts. So, I'll clean up some connections and hope for the best, but I thought I may as well get the jump on asking some people who know what they are doing.

Thanks!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:16 am
The connector on that black wire sounds like a ground connector  -  but my knowledge of electrics is zilch too. Royal Enfield electrics are another matter anyway, based mainly on hope & chance. If it's a new bike and you're not too far from the dealer, get it back to him.
The speedo cable has probably come loose at the wheel end. They do.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:07 am
My suggestion is to look at the RH front blinker for a similar black wire and see what that hooks up to. Then make the LH look the same as the RH.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:29 pm
On the speedo, grease the cable.  Leave the 8'10" near the speedo itself bare but grease the rest of it well.  Then make sure both ends are tight.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:18:51 pm
 With the blinker....simple first. Make sure the bulb is good. It's probably a duel filament, for running light and blinker. It is possible that the blinker filament has burned out on you.  That ground wire may be a spare. Don't have a wiring diagram in front of me now. :-\
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

newtotexas

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:17 pm
Yeah, I replaced the bulb when I was checking it the other day. No luck. I'm about to go for round two and see if I've gotten any smarter in the last two days. Doubt it. Thanks for the advice.

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:58 am
Hi newtotexas,

Take off the front headlamp and check the connector from the left hand switch gear. Try disconnecting, then reconnecting it. I'm pretty sure you got a short between a ground wire or the frame and the ground wire from left your indicators.... hence bypassing the flasher unit.

Check and make sure all the wires behind the lamp have not rubbed through their insulation... if you spot any... tape them up with electrical tape.

I had shorted out right hand signals so couldn't indicate right....I traced the short to the wires behind the rear brake light... the vibration rubbed straight through the wire and paint work... hence shorted out. You could have the very same problem, except your ground wire has shorted out... whereas mine was the positive wire....

Good luck

To ride or not to ride... That is the question!