Author Topic: Of Air Filters and Air Box  (Read 2201 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: August 13, 2011, 01:51:02 am
I installed the NEW K&N air filter from nField gear.  It is flared out so the base diameter is wider than the brackets in the airbox.  So the fit is snug. 

BUT, the wider base makes it so that the airbox cover (the plastic thing that now is standard on C5's (dunno about G5 or B5 versions) cannot neatly fit over the filter AND seal the base.  The filter touches the bottom of the airbox.

I'm going to ride it after dinner and report back here, but perhaps I will wiggle and jiggle and use my "Enfield fitment" vocabulary to make the cover fit.

I wonder if the airbox lock will sometime soon go airborne as has happened to others.  That would be fun, ... , not.

The four filters in the photo below are:  OEM, early K&N prototype (too narrow a base), nField K&N, and the cone filter Scotty sent me in case I wanted to build or weld a flange onto the intake opening.  If anybody wants the cone, let me know and I'll send it to you for the same price Scotty charged me.  Rhymes with hero.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:40:22 am
My 2011 G5 has the sealed plastic cover on the airbox.

The new K&N doesn't look any taller in the pictures.  Maybe a phoptical illusion?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:51:06 am
I thought that might be a problem.  Did you flip the lower mounting bolt for the triangle box?  If you point the bolt out and put the nut on the outside it makes it a bit easier to get the airbox retrofit cover in.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:21:23 am
I thought that might be a problem.  Did you flip the lower mounting bolt for the triangle box?  If you point the bolt out and put the nut on the outside it makes it a bit easier to get the airbox retrofit cover in.

Scott
Yeah, did that a couple weeks ago, but thanks.  I am going to get a thin nut to attach the filter on first and then tighten the cover on over that.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:10:12 am
I didn't like the single nut to hold filter and cover, especially since the seal is dependent on the two parts being just right for each other.  I cut out the whole mounting dimple, covered the hole with aluminum sheet, sealed with silicon, and hold it in place with some foam across the top.  The pressure from the door presses on the foam and keeps it in place.  This way, I can put any filter I want in there so long as it fits inside the shape.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:22:02 am
Good idea Scott.  But if your airbox lock "offs" itself, the airbox cover might head out for a flight!  

Anyway, the C5 ran fine with the new K&N filter in place.  I'd like to say it reacted to throttle twists more quickly, but for now it could just be my imagination.  I'll do some 45-65 mph riding this weekend to learn more.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:16 am
Today for fun I put the EMGO air filter on the end of the plenum to check for fit.  It is too tall for the door to close.  Anyway, it has been spoken for and will depart Seattle tomorrow.

I put the airbox cover over the new K&N filter by wiggling some things.  I'm not sure if the filter is exactly lined up with the plate but the seal is solid, and so it goes.  I'll try it tomorrow, but am thinking of just leaving the cover off like how I got the C5.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:30 am
I don't know if your C5 is anything like my G5 but if it is, if your going to leave the airbox cover off you might as well put the air filter back on your shelf.

The airflow direction is from the middle of the bike thru that hole you have such a nice picture of into the inside of the air filter.
It passes thru the filter outward into the air box and the engine is breathing the air directly from the airbox.

If the airbox cover is not in place the engine is just breathing dirty, unfiltered air from under the side cover so the air filter isn't doing anything.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary