Author Topic: Noise on startup  (Read 5229 times)

ES-335

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 01:04:20 pm

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:43 pm
According to the official service manual the deco should disengage over 350 rpm, released by the flythingy described by Arizoni.
Very often it doesn´t and sticks, with very different results as we could see. Sometimes the sprag clutch immerdiately disintegrates, sometimes the clatter phenomenon goes on for a long time without any damage. Surprisingly it starts very often between 3000 and 4000 kms, if you pay attention you can hear the same "click"-sound when powering down the motor, too.
Until now there isn´t a final sollution at hand, although it´s possible to get more stable sprag clutches. A deactivation, as Br. ES-335 (R2-D2?) describes, maybe is the only final answer although the starter would have a tougher life in this case and could aswell pass away early.
In case of Precious the clattering started at about 4000 kms, fortunately until now - 13000 kms - without a failure.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

ES-335

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 06:15:52 pm
My C5 started and ran well without decompressor and no other problems from odo reading 7000  till 12300 km. Might be the happiest period with my RE. Though in July I traded it with some change ... and since this week monday I ´ve been riding on a brand new Guzzi Classic V7. Another beauty it is.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 07:48:02 pm
My C5 started and ran well without decompressor and no other problems from odo reading 7000  till 12300 km. Might be the happiest period with my RE. Though in July I traded it with some change ... and since this week monday I ´ve been riding on a brand new Guzzi Classic V7. Another beauty it is.
Does your Guzzi match your guitar? I just saw a white V7 this morning and the "Racer" at the dealer yesterday.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 11:32:27 pm
Oooh, another Enfield to Guzzi 750 guy!  The dealer wouldn't take a trade so I have two motorcycles.  Did you get the black or white V7C?  I test rode the V7C and liked everything about it except for the very hard seat.  The Breva seat is all day comfort, and I just returned from a 140 mile ride on it, getting 59mpg for the tank.  Keep yours under 5k rpm's for the first 1k miles.  Have fun!

Sorry for the hijack, folks.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ES-335

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:04 pm
I have a black Reverend Club King 290 electric guitar to match my black Guzzi V7C  8) . Well, enough of this off topic.

Main point is that C5´s estarter is powerful enough in order to survive without decomp. I tried to keep battery in good condition, too. No sprag clutch failure either, luckily in my case.

B.R.
ES-335