Author Topic: Trike R E versus Sidecar R E  (Read 14922 times)

LJRead

on: March 07, 2008, 10:00:54 pm

Well, I've been doing a bit of research on the R E trike and others and thought I would throw this out.  Although I have no experience with either (trike or sidecar) my feeling is that a trike makes a lot of sense.  The advantages seem obvious: 1) more balanced and controllable, 2) more compact, 3) can be built in any configuration a person could want, simple cargo to rickshaw, 4) less problem with cornering (I think), 5) easier to maneuver through tight spaces.

The big disadvantage is that nothing off the shelf seems available, yet, but maybe it should be.  Also may not look as traditional or cool, although there is a long tradition there. Any thoughts or opinions?

BTW: there are some links to R E sidecar photos under the trike discussion in the Vintage Bike section.  Well worth a look.

sasquatch

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:12 pm
I think a lot depends on what you intend to haul ;D

- sasquatch -
"Never pound with a large wrench, when a smaller one will do."

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 03:21:02 pm
    Man, that dudes wife is a cow!!!

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LJRead

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:51:40 am
Still doing trike research and what I'm getting is 1) trikes are much more expensive (some are up in the $35,000 range). and 2) they are claimed to be far superior than almost anything in cornering ability - this being for one with independent suspension.,3) in thinking about it, maybe a trike isn't as friendly since the passenger isn't sitting beside you.  If your passenger is like that cow, a sidecar might be fine because cows are about the nicest people!

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:48:03 pm
Helm Cycle is working on a "Bolt On" trike kit. The project is in its infancy at this time. We will post something when there is something to see.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

LJRead

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:05 pm

Good to learn that Helm Cycle has such intentions.  Trikes, from my reading, are coming on as a expanding phenomena.  The main supplier in the U.S. connected with Harley and Victory, is Lehman Trikes which are somewhat akin to the R E Patrol in that it mainly facilitates storage.  The Aussies have similar offerings, but also offer some which are more like rickshaws, with very nice looking seating .  the Aussies are touting independent suspension while the Americans seem to prefer a solid rear axle with the entire back unit with swinging arm type suspension.  Lehman claims that independent suspension throws weight on the outside wheel in a curve, leading to instability, while the Aussies are claiming better cornering with good stability.  So there is a bit of a debate going.  I have a feeling that the independent school makes their's firm enough so there is no stability problem..  Those of you with sports car experience might have some ideas here.

Comparing the sidecar idea, yes you get something cool looking and very easy to attach and fairly inexpensive, but you end up with a steering problem, and a cornering one. There can be a steering problem with the trikes as well, something which is overcome by modifying the front forks (at close to the cost of an entire sidecar!).

My own intentions are somewhat simpler because I won't be roaring along at a fast pace (around 40 mph maximum) so I am looking to build something light, simple, cheap and with the rickshaw idea to give room for two passengers. 

If Helm Cycle comes up with something interesting they may have a decent niche market.  As people grow older (including many in the RE crowd) they may need something more stable that they don't have to worry will fall over.  In this regard, the large touring bikes must be a handful (what do you do when half a ton starts to lean too far?), many of their riders in an advance age group, so its easy to see the attraction.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 10:55:23 pm
except when they are standing still, two wheels are much more stable than three.
except when the trike has the two wheels in the front. i remember seeing a beautyfull morgan car set up like this  stunning!
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 04:47:12 am
Point well taken Bob, but there seem to be a lot of 'ifs ands and buts in all this.  Which is better off, for example, when hitting a slick place on a curve? And if, as is claimed, a three wheeled trike can outperform a bike in curves, does that say something about stability?  Is it even true?  Don't know, just asking.   Part of the trike revolution is in the front wheel drive three wheelers and there are some stunners.  Think of it, a frustrated hot rodder can purchase a power plant out of a salvage bike for very little with a goodly amount of cc's and a very light weight, all conveniently packaged and nearly ready to go.  A strong person can heft one of these babies using arm power alone.  One source I came across, though, was a mid-fifties four wheeler, plans of which appeared in "Mechanics Illustrated", using a wooden frame and body, a rear mounted motorcycle engine, all for a claimed price tag of less than $500 ( $5,000 currently?).  But I suppose there are all sorts of compliance issues in this day and age.

There must be some artistry in all this.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 04:01:49 pm
when atv's came out they were mostly 3 wheelers. they had so many accidents ( tip overs ) that they went to 4 wheelers. i dont think one could find a new 3 wheel atv now
that says something.
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 04:03:05 pm
however sidecars have always been around
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:14 pm
Thanks for the comments, Bob - they have me thinking.

I'm not sure ATVs are a good comparison because they are designed to crawl over places even a good off road biker would fear to tread.  And not only have sidecars "always been around", but they seem to have remained in a largely simple and uncluttered state.  Some streamlining to go with some streamlined bikes, but basically simple. 

Unfortunately, the same can't be said of trikes, and last evening I made the mistake of looking at the trike section of Ebay.  I can immediately see why fans of R E would be turned off by them.  1500 cc, 1800 cc even a 350 cu. in. Chevy, VW powered etc. flying bombs with all the crap that those who would be drawn to R E would  turn away from.  And what does $25,000 or more get you?  For most, about the same two person seating that a normal bike would have plus about 7 cu. ft. of trunk space. Bloody depressing, I say!

My thoughts go in an entirely different direction.  I'm sure what Helm Cycle is working on is something that will fit the simplicity and appeal of an R E. The original R E Patrol and the Harley Servicar were a far cry from modern trikes, much more retro. My thoughts go toward the tourism industry I'm involved in, the high gas prices I'm faced with (twice what you have in the U.S.) and the deflated thickness of my wallet.  I'm thinking more toward the trikes of Asia, including India and Indonesia.  Monika Motors, now under new competent management, is putting out some interesting trikes (tuk tuks) for less than $10,000 (six passenger) and some three passenger versions (three plus a driver) for less than $2000.  Mind you, they aren't designed to go fast but they do have practicality and economy in mind. And they indicate a little more 'class' than the modern over bloated trikes do.  Simplicity...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:33:59 pm by LJRead »

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:02:39 am
six passengers wow you could start your oun bus line

65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 03:41:29 pm
They started a bus line with them down in Wellington< New Zealand.  The stretched version of a tuk tuk is the one being used and comes complete with a music system.  All the below are variations on the trike theme used in Asia.  Early tuk tuks had two stroke engines which caused real pollution problems in the cities, so now they are using LPG.  In Thailand, interestingly enough, individuals are not allowed to purchase tuk tuks for personal use and their sales is limited to commercial users.  The six passenger version is something I may be looking at for airport transport to our place.  All of these have small engines, ranging from about 200 to 650 cc.  Don't know whether the stretched one has a larger engine - probably does. If I purchase a vehicle of under 1000 cc here in Tonga the duty is quite reasonable - about a dollar U. S or so per cc.

[old attachment deleted by admin]

LJRead

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 03:50:26 pm
Here is some with more of a motorcycle front end. the green one from Thailand (Monika), the grey one from Australia, and a brochure ppicture of the old  RE Trike.  Lot of flexibility in what can be done with a trike.

[old attachment deleted by admin]