Author Topic: First of all - hello everyone, and then - maybe you can help us out!  (Read 3303 times)

arie

• Neophyte
Hey you guys, my name is Arie and I'm from Israel - but I will be speaking in the name of the entire, very small but very proud Israeli Enfield community  ;D

We’ve been maintaining our rides for a while with pretty much what we had, and managing various small time problems, but recently we’ve been having a problem we can't really get a hold on to.. Here's how it goes:

Three G5 models, one with 15k kms, one with 21k and one with 7k (mine). Often when idling and giving a little bit of gas, the ignition is not quite smooth (the engine sometimes chokes and sometimes jumps in RPM), and on high RPM when revving the engine backfires often happen. When idling completely, the engine eventually chokes downs and stalls, and you just gotta give it some gas from time to time so it won't stall. I tried to address this by increasing the idle RPM, but it still keeps stalling, although considerably less.
Most often this happens during a city ride or short trips between towns. On long highway rides this problem does not appear unless you pass the 4000-5000 RPM threshold.

What have we done so far?

1. Plug cap replaced (it was made from a conductive material and we suspected that it absorbed some of the ignition).
2. Fuel Injector replaced.
3. ECU replaced.
Next on the list are the ignition coil and the current rectifier. Tried to look for a flaw in the wiring, maybe a malfunction of some sort with the fuel pump - so far nothing helped.

We would so much appreciate any ideas, and kudos again from Israel  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Try these two things:
1) Set the idle to spec.  Around 1000RPM +/-100.  Setting it higher can actually make the hunting idle speed worse.
2) Swap the stock Bosch plug for an NGK BPR6EIX.  It seems to stabilize the ilde a little more than the stock plug.

Scott

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
+1 for  NGK BPR6EIX it fixed my flaky idle issues. 
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

shappers

• Scooter
Hi, hi what is the quality of the petrol?

shappers

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
It sounds like mine did when I turned the mixture (idle) screw too far in (CW). I have found that small changes with that screw make a big difference. I would try rotating it out (CCW) at about 1/16 turn at a time and see what happens. Actually I turned mine in initially about 1/4 turn and it started running about the way yours is described. I backed at about 1/16 turn past the original setting then had to play with very small increments to get it to its sweet spot.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
If you're still using the stock plug, definitely change it. NGK is good, Iridium better.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
I suspect he will have trouble adjusting the mixture screw on his fuel injected bike. Step one would be changing the plug. I would also check the fuel screen in the tank. I hope he is not adjusting the throttle plate! The idle speed is adjusted by the big fat screw on the top of the throttle body.  If none of this helps, I would borrow a throttle body from a known good running bike.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead

What have we done so far?

1. Plug cap replaced (it was made from a conductive material and we suspected that it absorbed some of the ignition).
2. Fuel Injector replaced.
3. ECU replaced.
Next on the list are the ignition coil and the current rectifier. Tried to look for a flaw in the wiring, maybe a malfunction of some sort with the fuel pump - so far nothing helped.

We would so much appreciate any ideas, and kudos again from Israel  ;)

שלום ארי

As others have already said, try a plug change.  In my case, my stock spark plug was faulty.  And as shappers said, check the fuel, too.  With bad gas, these single-cylinder bikes don't behave too well. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
In my case, a G5 with 12´kms, afterfiring increases noticable when I use lower octane fuel. Any juice below 98 ROZ results in a nice fireworks-soundtrack when closing the throttle quickly. I´m using Hitchcock´s short straight efi silencer.
Although my father worked for Bosch for 30 years I have to admit that this NGK plug works much better in Precious´ head. I doubt, though, that the  Iridium version is worth the money, but my experiences with this kind of plugs come from BMW airheads. Maybe the Bullet actually likes it better.
Ride safe
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

clubman

• Grease Monkey
I doubt, though, that the  Iridium version is worth the money, but my experiences with this kind of plugs come from BMW airheads. Maybe the Bullet actually likes it better.
Ride safe
Maturin

I may be the only person on this board who is happy with the Bosch plug. I replaced the original at 4,500m and am now at 10,000m and have had no issues with it. With respect to iridium though I put them in my Guzzi and noticed an instant improvement in fuel consumption, not huge but definite. If I didn't have another Bosch spare already I would certainly use NGK iridium.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
If the Bosch works, stick with it! 

As to whether the Iridium is worth it, not sure since I didn't try the regular NGK first BUT the difference in cost is about the same as a gallon of gas, not much really.  I might try the regular version just out of curiosity.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
NGK BPR6EIX.  Completely took care of all minor rough running and rare stalling issues in my case.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

arie

• Neophyte
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the replies! We have replaced the Bosch plug, and it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Still - there are a few suggestions here that we will take and we'll update as it goes - again, thanks so much for your help!!  :D

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
I would be looking at the air filter next. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Do the Israel export models come with the O2 sensor ?